PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Goal Zero in the woods?

flamingo 7
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
I've a Goal Zero Nomad 3.5 solar panel and the Guide 10pluss battery pack to charge an iPod, nook and phone. The only problem is that it won't reliably charge the phone and that's the one item I'd like to keep charged. The folks at GZ indicated that the Nomad 7 panel is a better choice and that the young lady I spoke with could charge her iPhone 4 with the Switch 8. Is anyone out there using these products?

mark s
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I have a boulder 15 panel and their 150 watt/hour lead acid battery. I have it to use at my cabin. They work well for this. The battery can charge a cell phone 3-4X I think, but it is >10 lbs. Unless I was on a several week trek, I think I would go with one of the Li-ion battery packs to recharge a phone. The panels just seem like they would take way too long to charge a phone (sitting in the sun for a day?).

shtfco
06-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Never leave home without it. I have the Guide 10 with Solar Panel. plus 8 double A 8 triple A. Love the goal zero. I hang it off my pack and charge the pack on my hikes.

flamingo 7
06-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Never leave home without it. I have the Guide 10 with Solar Panel. plus 8 double A 8 triple A. Love the goal zero. I hang it off my pack and charge the pack on my hikes.

What panel do you have? 3.5 or 7?

shtfco
06-14-2013, 03:55 PM
I have the 7. Key to goal zero is dont try and charge your electronics directly off the panel. That takes way to long. Use the panel to charge your power pack. Then use the powerpack to charge the phone or whatever else your charging.

Bedlam
06-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I have the 7. Key to goal zero is dont try and charge your electronics directly off the panel. That takes way to long. Use the panel to charge your power pack. Then use the powerpack to charge the phone or whatever else your charging.

+1 to this.

Ryan

MojoSlim
06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't have any experience with the goal zero solar chargers. I have a small Solio charger and a Joos Orange charger. I haven't brought either on a hiking trip, but the Joos Orange is a very efficient solar charger. I don't know the weights of the goal zero stuff, so I'm not sure if it's comparable as far as packability. The Joos Orange is pretty rugged, though. There is a video on YouTube showing it still working after being shot with a .22.

Only complaint is that it uses some non-common connection type. Really wish it were a plain old USB port, as the Solio is. You gotta use the proprietary connector cable (boo to that).

I bought the Joos Orange last summer while acquiring "evacuation supplies" in the wake of the fires in CO.

I'm thinking of packing it into the BCR. You're more than welcome to check it out if you're planning on attending. If i had known you were interested, I woulda left it with you at the Rondy as collateral for letting me check out your pistolas.

http://solarjoos.com/

chippewawarrior
06-14-2013, 10:33 PM
I too have no experience with the Goal Zero products. I do use these products if you're interested. I don't want to deviate too far from the OP...

I use this for a solar charger...
http://www.suntactics.com/

Or this for shorter runs...
http://www.newtrent.com/store/iphone-external-battery-iphone-portable-battery/newtrent-igeek-imp99d-portable-battery-pack.html

Both work great with the iPhone 4G. No issues what-so-ever...

Treebeard
06-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I sell Goal Zero on my online store and love it. We handle the 2 panel Guide 10 Plus Adventure Kit, the 4 panel 13.5 array, and Guide 10 Plus battery packs. Drop me a line if you have any specific questions, all these are nice products for your outdoors trips.

flamingo 7
06-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Treebeard,

PM sent

Treebeard
06-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Sent you a couple of messages. Get back with me if you have any further questions always happy to help.

Treebeard,

PM sent

sbfireman
04-21-2015, 02:48 PM
PM also sent Treebeard

Thanks

shtfco
04-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Use them about every time I'm out more then 3 days great little setup I have the nomad with the guide 10. If you get one snag better batteries though the gz batteries are not the greatest

sbfireman
01-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Anyone ever receive a response from Treebeard?

TIA -

Herb
02-01-2016, 09:30 PM
I use the Nomad 7 with the guide 10, happy with it, but I need to upgrade my batteries, may just be too old now.

primitve
02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
I've got the Guide Zero Nomad 7 and the Guide 10 battery pack. I charge my iPhone 6s and my IridiumGo! unit daily with it on my 10 day sheep hunt, and it worked flawlessly. I would put it out facing the sun when i was glassing, or outside my tent when I was gone. Regardless if it was sunny, overcast, or raining I would get a good charge. Enough to keep both units charged 80-95% the whole time. I am buying new batteries for the Guide 10 battery pack this year, mine are 5 years old.