PDA

View Full Version : "SPIKE CAMP" pack questions....what negatives....What Positives....????

Sourdough
06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
For those who own or have owned the KIFARU "Spike Camp" pack what do you wish was different, or what do you love about the "Spike Camp" Pack....???

Do you like the Aluminum or the Composite Stays....???? Why......???
The size is perfect for my application, I just wonder about the belt, shoulder straps, etc. (I have NO question about the quality). Just what you really like or dislike about the "Spike Camp" Pack.

If you stuffed all the laundry you could find, and packed the "Spike Camp" full would it really still only be 7" deep.....??? Or does it balloon out to 9" 11" 13" deep....???

Thanks for your feedback with this pack.......

mark s
06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I really like this pack. I haven't done the measurements, but the pack compresses, it doesn't balloon out. The bottom just fits a regularly compressed 20o sleeping bag. I have the aluminum stays. If they were available when I bought it, I would have gotten the composite. The only reasons not to get the composite is money or if you needed to custom bend the aluminum ones for a better fit. I replaced the aluminum stays in my long hunter with composite for the weight savings. I don't obsess about weight with the spike camp because I carry less weight with it. Nice simple pack. I use it as a summit pack, a day pack, a 2 day pack, and my wife's pack when I do the impression of a pack mule.

LMT66
06-14-2013, 02:36 AM
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/Loon66/Hiking/SLP004_zps36255561.jpg

Take-a-knee
06-14-2013, 02:43 AM
Hell for stout pack that'll outlast you. Just don't overload it. Short stays and Omni suspension are a limiting factor. It ain't no meat hauler if that is your plan but it is THE quintesential day pack. Colder weather will fill it up PDQ, that is why they make the Late Season. If I did not own a Kifaru pack, that is the one I'd look at first.

Sawtooth
06-14-2013, 09:03 AM
For those who own or have owned the KIFARU "Spike Camp" pack what do you wish was different, or what do you love about the "Spike Camp" Pack....???

Do you like the Aluminum or the Composite Stays....???? Why......???
The size is perfect for my application, I just wonder about the belt, shoulder straps, etc. (I have NO question about the quality). Just what you really like or dislike about the "Spike Camp" Pack.

If you stuffed all the laundry you could find, and packed the "Spike Camp" full would it really still only be 7" deep.....??? Or does it balloon out to 9" 11" 13" deep....???

Thanks for your feedback with this pack.......

The Spike Camp is an awesome EDC/day pack! I have a G2 Spike Camp, in OD, with composite stays. I use mine a LOT for day hikes, day hunts, and my work as a tenkara guide. This is my go-to guide pack for full day trips with clients. It can hold everything I need (client lunches, my raingear, possibles, water filter, FAK, etc.). It also hold everything I need for a full day of deer hunting.

The only thing I would add if I could would be a closed-bottom slot on the side/bottom of the pack that I could slide a rod, field chair, trekking pole, etc., down into. All the Kifaru packs I have are conspicuously void of this feature. I made a cradle out of hypalon strips and cord that insures a rod tube won't slip off the pack and get lost.

As Mark said, it will compress down, but really doesn't "balloon" out past it's fullest dimensions.

I got mine with the composite stays because they're lighter weight, and like Mark, I didn't need to alter the bend in them.

This is a great three-season day pack! I'll never be without it!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/SpikeCampCloseup_zps8e8c8faf.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Sawtooth_1963/media/SpikeCampCloseup_zps8e8c8faf.jpg.html)

flamingo 7
06-14-2013, 04:25 PM
I've got a G1 Spike camp that I've had for quite some time and still love it. It's my only day pack that I use anymore. It's made several trips across the pond and was my EDC inside the wire and made most trips on wheels or air outside the wire. I said once early on that I could live for three days out of that pack and have actually done it on several occasions. The only shortfall is size when the weather turns cold. I don't recall what the original size is, but the current ones were bumped up to 2400CI. More size can be a problem as well. I once had an MMR filled with enough stuff that it took two guys to move, problem was I was flying alone. All in all it's a great pack and I think the current model has truly gilded a well deserving lily.

Sourdough
06-14-2013, 06:57 PM
The Spike Camp is an awesome EDC/day pack! I have a G2 Spike Camp, in OD, with composite stays. I use mine a LOT for day hikes, day hunts, and my work as a tenkara guide. This is my go-to guide pack for full day trips with clients. It can hold everything I need (client lunches, my raingear, possibles, water filter, FAK, etc.). It also hold everything I need for a full day of deer hunting.

The only thing I would add if I could would be a closed-bottom slot on the side/bottom of the pack that I could slide a rod, field chair, trekking pole, etc., down into. All the Kifaru packs I have are conspicuously void of this feature. I made a cradle out of hypalon strips and cord that insures a rod tube won't slip off the pack and get lost.

As Mark said, it will compress down, but really doesn't "balloon" out past it's fullest dimensions.

I got mine with the composite stays because they're lighter weight, and like Mark, I didn't need to alter the bend in them.

This is a great three-season day pack! I'll never be without it!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/SpikeCampCloseup_zps8e8c8faf.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Sawtooth_1963/media/SpikeCampCloseup_zps8e8c8faf.jpg.html)

What color Green is this pack........???

Sawtooth
06-15-2013, 09:43 PM
OD...trying here to get the minimum number of characters in to satisfy the cyber gods. Olive drab. My favorite pack color, I think. I have 2 coyote brown KU packs and KU Koala (the only color they came in which I love), a black proto Late Season, a black Longhunter, a foliage Koala/Omni belt, and an ACU Scout/Omni belt. I like the OD color the best.

Shortdraw
06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
My SC-G2 is my most frequently used pack because it is a great day pack plus a lot more. The shoulder straps are just right for a pack of its size and it carries like a dream. I often carry my treestand when hunting larger public land areas for whitetail (I use a grab-it). I've packed out a quartered doe with it on more than one occasion (it's too small for a good sized buck). It's also my pack for scouting trips in the high country. If I could change one thing, it would be the narrow top entry. When packing bone-in quarters (smaller does) I often have to shove them up from the zippered bottom. Just not sure why it was necessary to make it so narrow. Also, like all packs of this generation Kifaru, it has no small pockets on the side below the compression straps for a fly rod case, tent poles, extra trekking poles, etc.

roycer
06-16-2016, 03:21 PM
OD Rocks!!