PDA

View Full Version : KIFARU Pack questions.........help

Sourdough
06-10-2013, 11:43 AM
I have a few questions.........Why is there so many AS new or NEARLY New packs that come up for sale. The truth will work for me. Why do people buy a pack, especially top quality packs and never take them afield......???? Do people have other packs, or several other packs that they have used-up.......???

My more pressing question is, What other than the E&E is the pack with the least depth. It appears to be the "Spike Camp" (Correct)....???

I am looking for a pack in the 1,800 ci to 2,400 cubic inch range that is very shallow (little depth....as in 5" to 6"). When I look at the photos.....the "Express" is the pack that has at shape I want, but has a depth of 10 inches.

I would like the exterior to be as smooth and clean as possible (no snaps, buckles, straps, Mollie, etc.) nothing that can catch-on or snag-on alders or limbs. For me everything goes inside the pack, I hate dingle'flooping pockets/pouches.

Very open to advise. Thank you in advance.

mark s
06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
The spike camp would seem closest to what you want. It has the same dimensions as the express. 2300 cubic inches. If you want something with little depth (I assume you mean short on the axis of your back), it would need to be real wide to get to the cubic inches you want. The spike camp still has straps for the top and compression. There are cleaner general use backpacks (particularly for climbing), but I don't think any are as robust as the kifaru packs. The zippy would be another option, but it has pals webbing, smaller with no attached waist belt. I have a spike camp and really like it. I find it is a great summit pack. Nothing ever gets caught on rocks in any tough squeezes. As far as the number of nearly new packs for sale, I would say there are likely three reasons. One, kifaru packs hold up really well. Two, some people just have to try different things. Three, people may exaggerate the Nearly new part.

Ralph
06-10-2013, 03:51 PM
The Express is a little misleading, being tapered. The bottom is 10" deep but the top isn't and, of course, the Express is "clean" with minimal straps and no PALS.

Kifaru has no retail sellers. Despite all of the information on the site nothing beats actually seeing/handling/carrying a pack. Some folks have someone in their area with the pack of interest and may are willing to let you examine it, but others don't. The resale value of the Kifaru packs is very high so a good many folks are willing to try one and sell it if t isn't exactly what they want. The durability and high quality of the packs makes it even more desirable to get exactly what fits your needs, even if it costs a bit more.

Hanzo
06-10-2013, 04:25 PM
In regards to almost new packs, my guess is that there are a lot of guys who say "I want to get into backpacking/camping/hunting, etc. Guess I need to go buy all my gear". 5 years later, their wife points out that they've used it twice and it's taking up room so they decide to sell it and use the money for their next hobby that they will spend a lot of money on and then never persue.

At least that tends to be my track record.

robcollins
06-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I have a few questions.........Why is there so many AS new or NEARLY New packs that come up for sale. The truth will work for me. Why do people buy a pack, especially top quality packs and never take them afield......???? Do people have other packs, or several other packs that they have used-up.......???

My more pressing question is, What other than the E&E is the pack with the least depth. It appears to be the "Spike Camp" (Correct)....???

I am looking for a pack in the 1,800 ci to 2,400 cubic inch range that is very shallow (little depth....as in 5" to 6"). When I look at the photos.....the "Express" is the pack that has at shape I want, but has a depth of 10 inches.

I would like the exterior to be as smooth and clean as possible (no snaps, buckles, straps, Mollie, etc.) nothing that can catch-on or snag-on alders or limbs. For me everything goes inside the pack, I hate dingle'flooping pockets/pouches.

Very open to advise. Thank you in advance.

I've got a Molle Express and an X-ray, I like both, they're both in the size range you're looking for, the Express is definitely bigger at the bottom, the X-Ray has no taper really. I haven't handled a Spike Camp, but it appears to be pretty similar to an Express but with more dingle'flooping attachment points.

If thin is what you're after, my thought is: get an Express and cinch it down. It's taller than the X-Ray and compresses more easily, just cinch it down. I love the X-Ray but needed the height of the Mollex (same as the Express only covered in PALS) to hold my disassembled air rifle. I think the Express is a bit more usable and compressible, but I'm keeping both. Both are pretty nimble packs and can carry more than their stated volume. The Express is cheaper too with taller stays, it's simpler openings with less sewing are the reason for this even though it's got longer stays (21" vs 18" on the X-Ray) so it can handle bigger loads better.

My conclusion, based on your post: get an Express, not a Spike Camp... And save a chunk of change.

Sourdough
06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
I should have mentioned that I "Currently" own 41 or 42 back packs now. This pack would be for fighting one's way through Alder'Hell with minimal hanging up on Alder limbs. I like my new KIFARU e&e pack for the stuff that never gets changed out, I put the e&e into the pack of the day, and add adjustments for the day (Like 100' of rope, or rain gear, Electronic Predator Caller, etc.). I am going to have someone vacuum seal the e&e pack for waterproofing.

What I need is NOT external cinching straps, but "Internal" cinching straps. I would like a pack like the spike camp, but with the whole pack NO deeper that the e&e pack is, say 5" at the most.......... With the top compartment just large enough for the e&e pack only. So that would be 9.5" X 14.5 X 4.5" this way I could put the e&e into two or three plastic bags, squeeze out the air, and never remove from the top compartment, accept for a survival emergency. This would also keep the weight trapped at the top and being an isolated compartment it could not pooooch'out more than 5 inches.

The lower compartment would be for that days needs (Gloves, snacks, etc.) Maybe 1,800 to 2,000 cubic inches total. Or have the top e&e compartment vertical, and another to hold a second lightweight, bag (Same size as e&e) but Horizontal.

Yes, I am aspiring to snooker KIFARU into making a new pack design.

I hike nearly everyday, generally right out the cabin door. So for me it is mostly a survival pack application, NOT e&e.

jljmonky
06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
I have looked at a metric ton of packs over the years and very little fits the application you are describing. I too had a spike camp, loved it but didn't use it enough, same with the x-ray and the Zxr and have settled back on a lowly Zulu for about everything. What I think you could do is buy an express or spike camp and modify it slightly by turning the pack inside out and adding some loops along the interior binding tape using light weight webbing then lace shock cord to form an x vertically inside the pack. You could have a local shoe or leather shop make the modification pretty inexpensively. The shock cord would give you your interior compression. I think the spike camp or express fits size wise.

Another thought is to relook your kit and storage device. I fit almost all of my "bad sh1t happens" kit into a medium pull out. I carry it everywhere every day. It had a signal mirror, space blanket, fire kit, cordage, blind horse snap knapp, filter straw, multi tool, sharpener and a few snare wires. I keep a bottle with me all the time. Generally stainless so I can boil in it.

1morehill
06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I would have to agree the Express seems to be the the ticket. I'm 6'2 and the length and with make it very low pro on my body. As for JMonkey's **** happens pouch I too have everything to fit into a med pullout. tuck under the lid of the Molle Express and your golden. As for the packs being sold all the time it's cause Kifaru is like getting the latest smartphone we seem to be all alpha in nature therefore it breeds competitiveness, either that or we all suffer from addictive type personality disorder.;). I truly believe is that there is no one magical pack out there as each one's need and wants are so diverse that not matter how you cut it there will be an issue with something on it like dammit I wish there was toggle here or a zipper there or a pocket over here so as you see the list goes on and on. I did see in an earlier post where Mel used a Duplex with a panel for the Ultimate Modularity and customization but then again stating what your looking for it really wouldn't suit yours needs. If you want you could swing by HPG's site I have the Tarahumara it's prob to small as it's equal to the E&E size basically so check the Highlander.

robcollins
06-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I would have to agree the Express seems to be the the ticket. I'm 6'2 and the length and with make it very low pro on my body. As for JMonkey's **** happens pouch I too have everything to fit into a med pullout. tuck under the lid of the Molle Express and your golden. As for the packs being sold all the time it's cause Kifaru is like getting the latest smartphone we seem to be all alpha in nature therefore it breeds competitiveness, either that or we all suffer from addictive type personality disorder.;). I truly believe is that there is no one magical pack out there as each one's need and wants are so diverse that not matter how you cut it there will be an issue with something on it like dammit I wish there was toggle here or a zipper there or a pocket over here so as you see the list goes on and on. I did see in an earlier post where Mel used a Duplex with a panel for the Ultimate Modularity and customization but then again stating what your looking for it really wouldn't suit yours needs. If you want you could swing by HPG's site I have the Tarahumara it's prob to small as it's equal to the E&E size basically so check the Highlander.

I'll add that like firearms and bicycles, the correct number of packs seems to be N+1, where N = # currently owned. I've been unable to sell a Kifaru pack, but I have given 2 Mountainsmith packs to friends who needed them more than I did. I think most people that sell packs do so because their wives are mean.

Sourdough
06-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Will KIFARU build a standard pack like the "Spike Camp" or the "Express" and leave off the mollie stuff......????

Sourdough
06-11-2013, 10:27 AM
I think most people that sell packs do so because their wives are mean.

Solved that problem............kept all the packs, and got rid of the mean wife. Now pushing 70'ish it is Cheaper to rent.......................hehehe

jljmonky
06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
They won't do custom anymore... best thing would be to buy a used one and carefully take a seam ripper, razorblade, scissors and lighter to it.

Sourdough
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Thank You for that Information.........I can see not wanting to "ADD" features, But deleting external features seems easy enough. O'well I will live.

They won't do custom anymore... best thing would be to buy a used one and carefully take a seam ripper, razorblade, scissors and lighter to it.