PDA

View Full Version : "Flat Land" Rendezvous? Any Interest

jljmonky
06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I am interested in attempting to put together a Rendezvous in the central part of the country and am looking at a few National Forrests, Hoosier (in Indiana), Shawnee (in Illinois) and Mark Twain (in Missouri). I have only been to Shawnee so I am only going off information pulled from internet sources. All have dispersed camping sites and hiking trails. I would also like to hear if anyone in any of the central US states has a sizable piece of private ground they would host on. So the poll is, are you interested in a Flat Land Rondy?

larryschwartz
06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
It would depend on when it is too as far as Spring/Summer vs. Fall/Winter.

robcollins
06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Summertime in Mark Twain will be a sweaty, humid, mosquito, tick, chigger festival. Were I to do that, (again) hammock camping would be the best, as would proximity to a creek with a rope swing. There were a lot of atv trails and beautiful country there when I was a kid. A few springs with cool fresh water, crawdads, fish, paw paws and sassafras for scrounge able local fodder.

jljmonky
06-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah Rob... ticks, chiggers, bug bites, humidity.... doesn't it sound fun?

I would angle towards winter, post Christmas probably... I have done some wanting hiking in Shawnee and slept in a cave or two down there... good times.

Sawtooth
06-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Mark Twain NF during the week between Christmas and New Years would be fun. I have some spots in mind if you're interested. Hawn State Park on the backside comes to mind.

jljmonky
06-07-2013, 07:14 PM
God I glad Sawtooth chimed in... Patrick dimed you out and once I had some interest I was pinging you for pointers on logistics! That week would be a perfect fit for me too.

Sawtooth
06-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Hawn State Park is beautiful. Winter there is quiet and peaceful. It would be a backpack affair-no roads close to the good spots. I know the trails well. It a stone's throw from my in-law's place in Ste. Genevieve. Perhaps we can get something going for the upcoming Christmas season. I'm in!

Sawtooth
06-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Patrick knows me well. 😉

jljmonky
06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
And a bump to remind folk to vote!

jljmonky
06-25-2013, 08:21 AM
AND A BUMP... 6 folks? Really, I know there are more Kifaruites in Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesse (hoping some people searching for info for their home state will land here).

mark s
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
I would be up for it depending on date and location. If a MO location craps out, I have some property in southern OH that would work.

jljmonky
06-25-2013, 02:38 PM
I spent three really cold nights in south eastern Ohio with Dave Canterbury, was a good scenario...

Texas JTAC
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
I'd love to make it but I'm deployed till the spring. Maybe next year? Additionally ya'll might look @ LBL (Land Between the Lakes) as a site for a rondy if your partial to middle Tennessee

Philos
07-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I would love to do a rondy. The locales are generally too far off but seems like we are getting closer:)

philos

rayporter
07-06-2013, 08:09 AM
i would try to go for sure.

Ohio- that would make me really try hard as i could have an excuse to go home.

i ran the roads at Salt Fork Lake before there was water in the lake.