PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Northwest Rondy Announcement : July 19-21

Bushcraft
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/ArmedVillage_zps66a2f2a5.png (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/ARE001/media/ArmedVillage_zps66a2f2a5.png.html)

If you have not already marked your calendars and made travel arrangements for July 19 – 21st, do so now!!!

This fun backcountry rendezvous is a great way to put faces with names, catch up with old friends, make new friends, personally review some of the finest gear and ideas available from a wide variety of manufacturers in outdoor conditions, and talk with knowledgable people that have actually "been there and done that".

It’s a perfect opportunity to pick Patrick's and others' brains and obtain some ideas from others that might ultimately help make your backcountry hunting, fishing and rambling trips more productive and more enjoyable.

This is a family friendly, car-camp, chainsaw fed white-man fire type outing. All are welcome and encouraged to join this casual gathering regardless of skill or experience level, or whether or not you own/use Kifaru gear. There is cell phone coverage (I can confirm Verizon) for those that want to come early and work virtually in the field. Vistas are great and there are ample opportunities to get away from camp on some decent hikes or trail runs. Depending upon where we ultimately decide to go (nature will dictate a goodly portion of that decision), there may or may not be toilet facilities or running water. We'll keep you posted as the date draws nearer.

Shooting is not necessarily the main focus, but there will no doubt be a fair amount of plinking a comfortable/safe distance awayfrom the main camp. It’s my understanding that Patrick is bringing the latest Rambling Rifle and a couple/three barrels in addition to some newer product offerings. There will be opportunities to shoot pistols (and/or rifles) at closer ranges on paper and reactive steel target as well as the opportunity to reeeeally stretch out the legs on your hunting rifles and heavy artillery canyon crossers in real world conditions. I will be bringing some steel plates and a shooting tree for pistols, laser range finder, chronograph, extensive cleaning kit, etc.

Gluttonous potluck offerings are the norm and anything you want to bring and share is welcome and appreciated.

In short, it's a truly outstanding way to enjoy a relaxing summertime weekend in the backcountry with some of the best people on Earth.

If you plan on attending, please register with bushcraft@comcast.net, providing me with the following information: your name, your phone number and how many folks will be attending with you. I will be e-mailing you instructions on how to get to the Rendezvous location and general information about what to bring several days prior to the event. To summarize, you should plan on being self-sufficient: food, water filtration, in-the-field toiletries, shelter, bedding, clothing, etc.

If you have any questions in the meantime, I'm certain that my fellow Kifaru Rondy Veterans will be happy to chime in and help address them.

Note: Only those that have registered to attend reasonably well in advance will be sent the exact location and directions to the Rondy.

snakey2
06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm in barring some unforeseen bad luck (which I am having a lot of lately). Always look forward to it!

Randy
06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Tracy and I will be there!
Maybe even the hounds will join us for the weekend out.
Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Allen, thanks for all your effort in reaching out to Patrick and Aron and being the catalyst for this annual adventure!

XMP
06-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I understand the point of not divulging the exact location, but can you at least specify the state? I'd love to make it to one of these but travel is a consideration. Thanks.

Randy
06-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Central Washington state. Usually on the east side of the Cascades.

XMP
06-07-2013, 07:30 PM
OK, thanks. I'll have to think about that. Its quite a drive from MN.

Kevin B
06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I'll be in attendance with between 3 and 5 of my family. It will depend on their interest level relative to the weather. I'll have a 10 yr old for sure, and my others are 12 and 7 and they're wait and see. Bring the kids, they have a blast.

Bring meat, particularly if it came from a critter you personally reduced to it. As far as being self contained, yep you should be. However, I think history dictates that if only half of the people brought food, we'd probably still feed everyone, maybe feed em twice over. If anyone has a wheeled game cart for Patrick to make his campfire chair that would also be a good thing ;)

Patrick
06-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Well, thank you for lookin' out for me Mr. Kevin.

Randy
06-12-2013, 08:13 PM
To tag on to Kevin's post:

In addition to some of the cool things Patrick and Aron will be bringing to entice us all, there is a wide variety of Kifaru and other gear to check out. I think the Rondy regulars have shelters ranging from Paratipis to 12-man. There is also a variety of Kifaru stoves and some home-crafted models to check out.

Food-wise, bring your favorite meals. Feel free to share your bounty and don't be shy about testing all the good whitetail, elk, buffalo or whatever else may come from the freezers.
I have it on good authority that since this is a drive up the homemade desserts will be both delicious and plentiful!

We'll likely have a good place to do some shooting, so bring along your favorite long guns, hand guns, "assault" rifles and more.

This is a great time to check gear, compare notes, share hunting tales and pull up a chair for the Saturday night 'KevinB' show:)

Patrick, I can bring that game cart if you'd like to throw your pad in it and make a backcountry recliner:)

JBR
06-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Wow, is it really going to work out this year?? It looks like it is. It's been a couple years and I've missed it and all my awesome Kifaru friends. I will be coming with my 16yr old son for sure. Like Kevin, depending on schedules, it could be all 5 of us (me, wife and 3 sons) or somewhere in between. We will bring some pistols (Glock .45, .22 revolver, maybe a hammerless .38) and some traditional longbows. My freezer is empty except for some spring turkeys from April. I can make some turkey jerkey to bring. Maybe I'll try to focus on some of the treats this time, if I can talk my wife into making some of her cobbler or cheesecake (at least for the first night!)

Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new faces as well. We will likely bring our 6-man tipi. Sounds like there won't be much reason to pack the fly rods unfortunately, but should be a great time! We may be our lab, Rowdy along as well.

Jim

Randy
06-19-2013, 01:02 AM
It'll be good to see you Jim!
Hopefully your whole family can make it.
Looking forward to a good time with all!

Bushcraft
06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Glad you are going to be able to make it this year Jim! Definitely bring the lab. I'll be bringing my one year old yellow lab, Si. They'll have fun running around chasing balls. I've got a launcher with a bunch of pheasant wing wrapped dummies. Good fun.

Bushcraft
06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
By my count we are at about 30 people. 20ish adults and 10ish kids.

disillusionedpatriot
06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Looks like I'm scheduled to be on call. Would need certain cell phone coverage and nearby place to get internet connection. My crappy work phone doesn't tether.

Bushcraft
06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
DP, I have Verizon and both phone and data work from one of the intended camp locations.

oldpinecricker
06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Sounds like fun. If I can get somebody to take care of my dog id be in.

Bushcraft
06-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't remember what kind of dog you have. How about just bringing it? I know that there'll be at least two labs running around.

Bearhunter
06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Looking forward to making it to the rondy for year 2... May possibly bring my boys to this one! Hoping to have some of the new Swaro optiks for you guys to check out and while there.. Like the new ATX 95mm spotter!!!

Bushcraft
06-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Great to hear you and the boys are going to be making it James. I definitely want to check out their/your new 95MM spotter with the 70x! Bring that bad boy!

Bushcraft
06-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Is there any interest in putting together some kind of informal pistol, shotgun, rifle, trad, compound competition? There should be plenty of room to set up a course of fire.

Aron Snyder
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Maybe I'll bring the Zeiss 85MM and see how that compares to the ATX.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

MikeB.
06-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Looks like I'm scheduled to be on call. Would need certain cell phone coverage and nearby place to get internet connection. My crappy work phone doesn't tether.

DP - Hope you can make it... I remember some great campfire conversations from the 2006 Rondy!

flash
07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I'll be there! I made the hike last year but had other obligations and could not spend the night. I should be able to get some time off this year. Looking forward to catching up with everyone!
Jeremy

Bushcraft
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Bump to top. If you haven't already, please let me know if you plan on attending. Directions will go out next Monday or Tuesday. Thanks! Allen

snakey2
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Allen I'm in. What is the weather report?

Bushcraft
07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Excellent! Hard to say what kind of weather we'll have since we are still outside the 7 day forecast window. I'd bet on sunny or partly cloudy 75-45 with minimal to no precipitation....but I wouldn't bet very much. ;)

oldpinecricker
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
OK, send me an location, I'll bring my chainsaw. My rig is loaded up and ready to go to Washington.

snakey2
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I am probably going to head up Thurs. if I don't run into difficulties.

Bushcraft
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
PM sent OPC

widowshooter
07-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Can I get some more info on this please, I live on the western side of the mountains and this is an easy trip for me.

Bushcraft
07-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Widowshooter, Send me an e-mail to bushcraft@comcast.net - Allen

Bearhunter
07-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Allen, you headed over Friday Morning or Thursday, Im gonna fly in Thursday evening its looking like! Gonna bring my bow and probably my boys .22LR Got a friend wanting to go but inquired about bringing his camper whats the feel on that, Tents only?

Bushcraft
07-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Allen, you headed over Friday Morning or Thursday, Im gonna fly in Thursday evening its looking like! Gonna bring my bow and probably my boys .22LR Got a friend wanting to go but inquired about bringing his camper whats the feel on that, Tents only?

Their plane touches down a little after 1 PM on Thursday. The plan is to pick them up and make tracks for the rondy site. Glad you are making it with the kiddos. What kind of a camper? 5th wheel? You probably don't want to two a big one back in there.

snakey2
07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
That brings up the question .... where is "back in there"?? I will leave early Thurs. and will get there (wherever that is) sometime late Thurs.

Bushcraft
07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Directions went out to everyone that signed and/or inquired.