PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous IV

Sawtooth
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
It's that time of year again! We're planning this year's Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous IV. Here are the dates:

July 27-28, 2013

This is a backpack or packstock only affair. There is no mechanized access to the rendezvous. It's between 4-5 miles from either of two trailheads, and I would classify it as moderate difficulty. For you veterans, we'll camp in the same location as last year. We'll hope for an absence of high elevation tornadoes! With all the wind this spot has seen in the past two years, there'll be stovewood there for decades.

We always plan the food as BYO and be prepared to share your vittles. Some very interesting food shows up in camp. I'm sure gonehuntn will hike in with his burros, which will improve the menu some!

With lots of trails to explore, water to fish, and wildlife to watch, this gathering will be one of the highlights of your year.

Please RSVP me by reply to this post or by PM if you plan to attend. About two weeks out I'll PM all the details, including driving and hiking directions.

shtfco
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
ST Count me in for this. RSVPing. =-)

Curtis C
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Dang It, scheduled to work on the 27th.

Sawtooth
06-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Dang It, scheduled to work on the 27th.

Hike in for the day on the 28th! Hike in from the top, and hike out to the bottom. I'll drive you back up to the top to get your vehicle.

MojoSlim
06-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Got your email and forwarded it to Nautilus. We're tentatively gonna be there. If this is the same weekend as last year (last weekend of July) then I think she already has the time scheduled off.

I'd really like to avoid being camped near another high altitude tornado, but if it happens again this year, hopefully it at least breaks the record :) I kid, I kid ... x-ing fingers for no tornadoes!

Hey, if Herb and Gonehuntn' both bring the pack animals, then that may add the option of us packing in more beer. Let us know where the signup is to reserve space on a goat or burro :-P

robcollins
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Sawtooth,

please put me and my two kids and dog (who's very okay with both tornadoes & gunfire) on the list. Wife will be out of town so I'll be carrying most everything and possibly a 4 year old, looking forward to the workout!! :D

shtfco
06-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Sawtooth,

please put me and my two kids and dog (who's very okay with both tornadoes & gunfire) on the list. Wife will be out of town so I'll be carrying most everything and possibly a 4 year old, looking forward to the workout!! :D

Rob I can help you carry in some stuff if you need. =-) We have pack mules coming too so that should help a lot.

James

MojoSlim
06-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Rob I can help you carry in some stuff if you need. =-) We have pack mules coming too so that should help a lot.

James

I feel so "un-cool" not bringing a pack animal. This year may see us people outnumbered by animals!

robcollins
06-06-2013, 04:26 PM

James

Luckily, my kids don't drink! Thanks James, I should be able to whittle it down, 5 days with an X-ray vs 2 with 2 kids and an MMR. Golden Doodle toting a travois? hahahaha

Sawtooth
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
FYI, pack goats are a no-no in Colorado from now on, due to the passage of disease from domestic sheep and goats to bighorn sheep. However, mules, burros, and horses are full-on. I'm partial to pack burros myself, but any one-toed pack animal makes camp life SO MUCH MORE COMFY!

Sawtooth
06-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I feel so "un-cool" not bringing a pack animal. This year may see us people outnumbered by animals!

My pack animal is named Paul. He has two legs. Welcome to the uncool, Mojo. ;)

gonehuntn
06-06-2013, 10:07 PM
My pack animal is named Paul. He has two legs. Welcome to the uncool, Mojo. ;)

I'm sure Sawtooth will have his KU pack on his back but all his heavy stuff will be riding in my burro's panniers. ;) I should be able to make a trip back down to the trail-head if anyone needs assistance.

BTW...the burros make fantastic baby carriages!

Sawtooth
06-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't have any heavy stuff except Old Chubs. 😉

COShunter
06-06-2013, 10:35 PM
I 'm in for another great trip. Will ask Jackie if she thinks she will be up for this one. Looking forward to a great music jam Mojo & Nautilus. I will see if Tim can come also.

Take-a-knee
06-07-2013, 02:58 AM
I wish I could make this. I plan on doing a big loop out to the NW to visit my eldest and do some packrafting in the Bob next summer. Maybe I can add this in with the trip.

shtfco
06-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Gonehuntin I think I found your family http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2442577264001&odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|featured =) Hes walked his Mules through 13 states over 20 years.

Vernon
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
FYI, pack goats are a no-no in Colorado from now on, due to the passage of disease from domestic sheep and goats to bighorn sheep. However, mules, burros, and horses are full-on. I'm partial to pack burros myself, but any one-toed pack animal makes camp life SO MUCH MORE COMFY!

Paul, can you link to this regulation - I don't find any mention of it anywhere?

Sawtooth
06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
It's in the sheep and goat hunting regulation. I'll get you more info later today.

Sawtooth
06-07-2013, 02:27 PM
It's in the Colorado Parks and Wildlife sheep and goat regulations, new for 2013. I don't think Pike National Forest (where the rondy site is located) has come out with a regulation yet, but I'll bet it's coming. I'm not here to debate the details of new rules regarding pack goats, but I have read quite a bit of the research. My personal feeling is that the risk far outweighs the benefits of using domestic goats for pack animals in bighorn sheep and mountain goat habitat. The entire federally designated wilderness the rondy site is located in is smack dab in the middle of prime sheep and goat habitat. I've been doing volunteer projects for CPW with bighorn sheep in that same wilderness for about 10 years. Before all of this came up a few years ago, I joined in on pack goat trips and they were awesome. But IMO now it's just too much to risk.

gonehuntn
06-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Gonehuntin I think I found your family http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2442577264001&odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|featured =) Hes walked his Mules through 13 states over 20 years.

Thanks for sharing. That fella seems like his bubble may be a little off level...but aren't we all? :)

I'm planning a trip in 2014 to hike the 111 mile Centennial Trail through the Black Hills of SD. It runs from Wind Cave NP up to Bear Butte. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5194547.pdf I hiked it in 9 days back in 2005. Then I did about half with a buddy who wanted to hike it but had to deploy before he could finish. I'd like to do it again with the burros. I have a friend in SD who's a journalist and plans to cover my trip so maybe I'll be posting some stories.

Vernon: Here's a thread I started about the new TBD rules for goats....
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=31899&p=302972#post302972

sab
06-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm thinking of flying in (Denver) for this year's BCR. Would anyone be willing to pick me up and drop me off at the airport? I'd either fly in Thursday or Friday (depending on your schedule) and out on Monday. It would just be me. Mrs. SAB and the dogs can't make it.

Thanks,
Scott

Sawtooth
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Hope it works, Scott! I would offer to provide your rides, but I'll be swooping in from the San Juans. Can anyone else help out?

Jon S
06-09-2013, 09:14 PM
I could loan a truck if it came to that, I will be in Durango that weekend playing and riding whatever waves are left. We leave the 26th and come back the 29th. That's Friday through Monday, let me know if I can help.

tendeerfeet
06-10-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm thinking of flying in (Denver) for this year's BCR. Would anyone be willing to pick me up and drop me off at the airport? I'd either fly in Thursday or Friday (depending on your schedule) and out on Monday. It would just be me. Mrs. SAB and the dogs can't make it.

Thanks,
Scott

Hey Scott,

I'm planning on heading up to the backcountry rondy on Friday afternoon. I would be more than happy to pick you up at the airport that Friday. I'm going to work on Monday so I could drop you off at the airport Sunday afternoon.

Paul, I will be attending this year's Backcountry Rondy.

Kevin

sab
06-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Hope it works, Scott! I would offer to provide your rides, but I'll be swooping in from the San Juans. Can anyone else help out?

Thanks, Paul! I figured you'd already be in the backcountry prior to the rondy.

I could loan a truck if it came to that, I will be in Durango that weekend playing and riding whatever waves are left. We leave the 26th and come back the 29th. That's Friday through Monday, let me know if I can help.

Jon, that is an incredibly generous offer, especially since we've never met! That's what I really like about the Kifaru forum - everyone helps each other out. I don't think I'll need the loaner truck, but if plans change, I'll let you know.

Hey Scott,

I'm planning on heading up to the backcountry rondy on Friday afternoon. I would be more than happy to pick you up at the airport that Friday. I'm going to work on Monday so I could drop you off at the airport Sunday afternoon.

Paul, I will be attending this year's Backcountry Rondy.

Kevin

Kevin:

What time you heading up on Friday? As it stands right now, I can get a decently priced flight that arrives Friday at 10:30am and departs Sunday at 8:00pm. Would those times work for you (I don't mind hanging out waiting for a ride or flight for a few hours)? I'm going to PM you, as well, in case you don't check the forum, since I need to book the flights before prices change.

Thanks,
Scott

sab
06-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Paul:

I'm in, thanks to Kevin's generous offer to provide transportation to/from the airport. My flight is booked! I'm looking forward to seeing familiar faces again and meeting new forum members!

Regards,
Scott

MojoSlim
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Paul:

I'm in, thanks to Kevin's generous offer to provide transportation to/from the airport. My flight is booked! I'm looking forward to seeing familiar faces again and meeting new forum members!

Regards,
Scott

Hey Scott,

Very cool to hear. What a stand up guy Kevin is. Nautilus and I were just commenting a few days ago about if we might see you at another rondy, again. Tell Mrs. SAB that we'll miss her and hope to see her at another rondy, soon.

orionx
06-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I'll be there!

sab
06-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Hey, guys, I have another favor to ask (I know, I know, I sure ask a lot of favors - I'm sorry). You may have seen my thread regarding Outer's Foul Out solutions being discontinued, and this favor is indirectly related to that thread. There is a fellow from 24hourcampfire who lives in Pueblo West that has some of both solutions that he is going to give me, but he doesn't want to ship them. Is there anyone here who could pick them up from him in West Pueblo and either bring them to the rondy or ship them to me (on my dime, of course)? If you can help out, please PM me.

Thanks,
Scott

Sawtooth
06-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Scott,

PM sent.

shtfco
06-14-2013, 04:27 PM
sab let me know if there is any gear youll need for the Rendevouz. Id of also gotten ya from the airport but looks like your covered there. Happy to assist also. I live in Littleton and plan on attending also.

James

sab
06-14-2013, 06:02 PM
James:

Thanks for the kindness! I may need to cook off someone else's stove because I can't bring fuel on the plane, and I don't cook on a wood stove (although Patrick's new oval stoves may eventually convert me).

Thanks again,
Scott

Sawtooth
06-15-2013, 09:29 PM
The current Stage 1 fire restrictions in Pike National Forest DO allow for a Kifaru stove. All we have to do now is cross our fingers that the restrictions don't tighten!

Stage 1 Fire Restrictions (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5424072.pdf)

Herb
06-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I like the dates, hopefully Spencer and I can make it out.

In regards to pack goats, IMO "goats are a no-no in Colorado" seems a bit over done. The CO Parks and Wildlife has asked Sheep hunters to leave their goats at home, seems reasonable as they are making the effort to be in close proximity to Bighorn Sheep. In the 22+ years I've explored Colorado, mostly elk hunting with some summer trips, and largely in "sheep habitat", I've have never seen a Bighorn Sheep in the wild. If I would have a encounter, I would need to make sure my goats and the Bighorn sheep did not exchange bodily fluids, highly unlikely. As long as domestic sheep and cattle are free range in the Colorado forests, the disease you fear is well in place.

We all take on responsibility when we light fires, take our dogs, carry a firearm, ect...people packing with goats can and should be taking their responsibility seriously too.

Paul, no disrespect intended toward you with my remarks, consider you a friend.

Hope to see you all in July.

Sawtooth
06-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Herb, no disrespect taken, my friend. The domestic sheep and goat issue is an important one, both in Colorado and in other western states. I know you are a responsible pack goat owner with quite a reputation of experience with them.

I have been rambling the immediate vicinity of the backcountry rondy site for about 35 years now. I have seen bighorns within 200 yards of the campsite numerous times. They live on Geneva Mountain, the flanks of Mt. Bierstadt, Kataka Mountain, Tahana Mountain, and the Rosalie Saddle. All are close by. The northeast slope of Kataka is where I've seen more lambs than any other other spot. If you haven't seen one in the wild yet, then you will be coming to the right spot. Maybe we can glass them this year when you come out, which I hope you can do.

shtfco
07-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Scott np at all I will have plenty.

James:

Thanks for the kindness! I may need to cook off someone else's stove because I can't bring fuel on the plane, and I don't cook on a wood stove (although Patrick's new oval stoves may eventually convert me).

Thanks again,
Scott

Rucker61
07-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Count me in for now, with the possibility of a trip to China taking me out of the hike.

topher89
07-02-2013, 06:36 AM
I am trying to move stuff around so I can make it the whole time. Is it cool to just stop by for a day? I could for sure hike in Sunday morning and leave that evening if I can't change my other plans

Sawtooth
07-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Sure! Hike up for the day!

topher89
07-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Sure! Hike up for the day!
PM Sent, Thanks!

parshal
07-02-2013, 09:22 AM
For those of us who haven't been to the site, where exactly is it? Or, did I miss it in this thread?

Sawtooth
07-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I will send all the details out via PM in a few days.

sab
07-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Scott np at all I will have plenty.

Thanks, James!

Sawtooth
07-07-2013, 10:29 PM
For those of you who RSVP'd, I want to pose a question to you...

Is the fact that we now have Stage 2 fire restrictions (no campfires OR wood-burning stoves) a deal-breaker? Are you willing to cold camp it for this tear's rondy?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

topher89
07-08-2013, 06:28 AM
For those of you who RSVP'd, I want to pose a question to you...

Is the fact that we now have Stage 2 fire restrictions (no campfires OR wood-burning stoves) a deal-breaker? Are you willing to cold camp it for this tear's rondy?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
I was actually discussing this with a friend last night. We were discussing a possible backpacking trip next weekend and he said "Well if I can't have a campfire, I am not going!" Well I guess he won't be camping anywhere in Colorado for the duration of the summer.

Time in the backcountry is too valuable to not go because of a fire ban.

larryschwartz
07-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Would it be possible to find a differnt site in one of the counties west of Denver that do not have fire restrictions in place; like Eagle, Pitkin, or Summit?

MojoSlim
07-08-2013, 10:28 AM
You know Nautilus and I will be there. The inlaws, too.

Time to start the rain dancing, Saw. We did a bit of it up here on the 4th, and it rained a little over the weekend :)

MojoSlim
07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Would it be possible to find a differnt site in one of the counties west of Denver that do not have fire restrictions in place; like Eagle, Pitkin, or Summit?

Hi Larry, I believe that the rondy spot is in Summit County (edit: Park County - as per Sawtooth's New Information). I don't think it has to do with the county/city fire restrictions, I think that it has to do with the National Forest fire bans/restrictions. But I'm not sure. I'm in Routt and they just posted a stage one fire restriction on July 2 for Routt and Medicine Bow National Forests.

sab
07-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Sawtooth:

I don't need an open fire to enjoy the rondy! I'll be there rain or shine, fire or no fire. I have an MSR Flex skillet that I will bring for frying fish. I also have an MSR Whisperlite Universal that I can bring, if necessary. However, as noted earlier, I won't be able to bring fuel with me on the plane. If y'all think I should bring the Whisperlite, please let me know.

Regards,
Scott

larryschwartz
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Larry, I believe that the rondy spot is in Summit County. I don't think it has to do with the county/city fire restrictions, I think that it has to do with the National Forest fire bans/restrictions. But I'm not sure. I'm in Routt and they just posted a stage one fire restriction on July 2 for Routt and Medicine Bow National Forests.
Well, it was worth a shot...

Sawtooth
07-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Well, it was worth a shot...

The counties only have jurisdiction over private land. The spot in question (Park County actually) is inside Pike National Forest, and they have placed Stage 2 restrictions, as have all the other national forests along the Front Range. It's nearly impossible to find anything with Stage 1.

Mojo, I've been rain dancing over here in the San Juans every day, and it's working to some degree. I need to email you a dance and let you turn it loose over there! :)

Sawtooth
07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Sawtooth:

I don't need an open fire to enjoy the rondy! I'll be there rain or shine, fire or no fire. I have an MSR Flex skillet that I will bring for frying fish. I also have an MSR Whisperlite Universal that I can bring, if necessary. However, as noted earlier, I won't be able to bring fuel with me on the plane. If y'all think I should bring the Whisperlite, please let me know.

Regards,
Scott

Yes, Scott, please bring that stove and pump/bottle. Someone will bring you some white gas. Is that model compatible with isobutane canisters? If so, that's even easier to take care of. Let us know what fuel system you want.

Sawtooth
07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
The counties only have jurisdiction over private land. The spot in question (Park County actually) is inside Pike National Forest, and they have placed Stage 2 restrictions, as have all the other national forests along the Front Range. It's nearly impossible to find anything with Stage 1.

Mojo, I've been rain dancing over here in the San Juans every day, and it's working to some degree. I need to email you a dance and let you turn it loose over there! :)

Having said all that, the counties nearly ALWAYS mimic the USFS restrictions. I've never seen them differ, since there's so much inter-agency fire management to goes on.

robcollins
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Sawtooth:

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

I'll throw in a whisperlite bottle full o'fuel. (not the small version) I'm coming up Friday as soon as I can rally the 2 kids, dog, and huffing puffing self up to 10,700... I lost track of who's doing what, James (shtfco) are you going up earlier? I could swing by & send it with you?

sab
07-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Is that model compatible with isobutane canisters? If so, that's even easier to take care of. Let us know what fuel system you want.

I have a handful of stoves, but I suggested the Whisperlite Universal because it will probably work best for actual cooking, as opposed to boiling water. It's never been used because I normally just boil water. It can run on liquid fuel or canister gas, but I think for actual cooking, liquid fuel is better. I'll bring the stove and all the parts so that it can run on either, but white gas will be best if we plan on cooking, rather than boiling.

Regards,
Scott

mark s
07-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I would throw out the suggestion that people consider bringing their woodstoves just in case. Last year we got dumped on, and I (and many others) didn't bring their wood stoves because of the fire restrictions. Thankfully Patrick had the large stove set up in the 12 man. I was very grateful to have an area to dry out after the torrential downpour.

MojoSlim
07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey Saw (or anyone else who wants to speculate),

Do our Kifaru box stoves count as "Sheep Herder" stoves? On the Fire Restrictions page for Pike and San Isabel Ntnl Forests, it states that these Sheep Herder stoves are allowed under the current restrictions/bans:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/home/?cid=stelprdb5427682

"Fire Restrictions

1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, barbecue, grill or stove fire. 36 CFR 261.52(a).

EXCEPT: Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites and the use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or a fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove with a spark arrester type screen is permitted."

Patrick
07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Looks like K stoves qualify handily. Screen is mush finer than 1/4" in fact. I'm bringing my stove. Excellent research, Mr. Mojo.

Sawtooth
07-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Yahoo! A downgrade from the June 28th Stage 2 notice to the current Stage 1 is welcome news. Thanks for posting, Mojo! Let the Kifaru stove burning commence!

Sawtooth
07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
...and YES, the Kifaru stoves qualify as sheepherder stoves. I covered that with the USFS several years ago.

MojoSlim
07-11-2013, 05:21 PM
...and YES, the Kifaru stoves qualify as sheepherder stoves. I covered that with the USFS several years ago.

Then, we probably have YOU to thank for it being recognized as an exception to the fire ban :) Great advocacy! The same language is used in the Routt Natty Forest fire restrictions page (https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5426607.pdf).

Definitely bringing the medium stove this time... don't wanna be caught in another high altitude tornado without it ;)

sab
07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
On the Fire Restrictions page for Pike and San Isabel Ntnl Forests, it states that these Sheep Herder stoves are allowed under the current restrictions/bans:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/home/?cid=stelprdb5427682

Am I the only one thoroughly confused by that press release? First, the title states that restrictions are going from Stage 1 to Stage 2, yet the restriction details noted are Stage 1 restrictions. Then, the release date is noted to be today, but the date listed at the beginning of the restriction description is June 11, 2013, so it's hard to tell if this is an out-of-date release, or what. Perhaps the USDA needs to hire a proof-reader? To me, there's nothing more frustrating than government regulations that are impossible to decipher...

Scott

Sawtooth
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Scott, I always go into the specific fire order itself and not the often paraphrased alert that's posted on the "alerts and notices" link. Go to the fire order that the forest super has signed, because that's what they'll try to burn you with if you break the rules and get caught. I feel your frustration. You should see what goes on with guiding and outfitting permits.

Sawtooth
07-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Then, we probably have YOU to thank for it being recognized as an exception to the fire ban :) ...

Not really...we have Patrick to thank for inventing all of these stoves in the first place. 👍

MojoSlim
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Scott, I always go into the specific fire order itself and not the often paraphrased alert that's posted on the "alerts and notices" link. Go to the fire order that the forest super has signed, because that's what they'll try to burn you with if you break the rules and get caught. I feel your frustration. You should see what goes on with guiding and outfitting permits.

Here's a link to the order Sawtooth referenced (PDF format): http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5427567.pdf

MojoSlim
07-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Not really...we have Patrick to thank for inventing all of these stoves in the first place. ��

True dat! Thanks Patrick!

COShunter
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks to Sawtooth and MojoSlim, the rain dances seem to be working:). In tomorrows local paper, the Gazette,the following may appear:

Rain leads to changes in fire restrictions
By Daniel Chacon Published: July 16, 2013 | 4:20 pm

"The recent rains have prompted El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa to lift stage 1 fire restrictions in the unincorporated areas.
Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor did the same, saying residents can once again have outdoor fires.

,,,,,,,, This fire season isn't over for us, but the data shows the risks are trending down," Taylor said in a statement.

The U.S. Forest Service also has dropped the last remaining campfire restrictions in the Pike and San Isabel national forests after recent rain.
The forest service had been at stage 1 restrictions for the Pikes Peak, South Platte, San Carlos and South Park ranger districts, meaning fires were allowed only in developed campgrounds. Those ended Tuesday.

Elsewhere, Arapahoe, Roosevelt, Gunnison, Grand Mesa and Uncompahgre national forests remain at stage 1 restrictions. All fires are banned in Rio Grande National Forest and they are allowed only at higher elevations in the San Juan National Forest."
______
Of course the lifting of stage 1 has not been posted on the NFS website, but hope it will be posted in a couple of days.

Thanks again Sawtooth and MojoSlim for the dances.

MojoSlim
07-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks to Sawtooth and MojoSlim, the rain dances seem to be working:). In tomorrows local paper, the Gazette,the following may appear:

Rain leads to changes in fire restrictions
By Daniel Chacon Published: July 16, 2013 | 4:20 pm •

"The recent rains have prompted El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa to lift stage 1 fire restrictions in the unincorporated areas.
Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor did the same, saying residents can once again have outdoor fires.

,,,,,,,, This fire season isn't over for us, but the data shows the risks are trending down," Taylor said in a statement.

The U.S. Forest Service also has dropped the last remaining campfire restrictions in the Pike and San Isabel national forests after recent rain.
The forest service had been at stage 1 restrictions for the Pikes Peak, South Platte, San Carlos and South Park ranger districts, meaning fires were allowed only in developed campgrounds. Those ended Tuesday.

Elsewhere, Arapahoe, Roosevelt, Gunnison, Grand Mesa and Uncompahgre national forests remain at stage 1 restrictions. All fires are banned in Rio Grande National Forest and they are allowed only at higher elevations in the San Juan National Forest."
______
Of course the lifting of stage 1 has not been posted on the NFS website, but hope it will be posted in a couple of days.

Thanks again Sawtooth and MojoSlim for the dances.

Alright, Rex, thanks for the info! Nautilus and I were driving through Pike National Forest, just south of Fairplay/Hartsel this last weekend, and got completely dumped on in a deluge like rain storm that we seemed to follow almost all the way to Routt County. Passing through Frisco, we thought that just maybe, the rain will help ease fire restrictions. I can't find anything on the USFS website for Pike Nat. Frst about fire bans so ... good to go?

COShunter
07-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi MojoSlim and Nautilus;
Thanks for bringing the rain north on you road trip. I searched the FS site and could not find the /s/ order, but found this news release on the site http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5428476. If someone knows where I can the order, I would like to learn how.
I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the Rondy

robcollins
07-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Hi MojoSlim and Nautilus;
Thanks for bringing the rain north on you road trip. I searched the FS site and could not find the /s/ order, but found this news release on the site http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5428476. If someone knows where I can the order, I would like to learn how.
I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the Rondy

Here's the text from the website COShunter posted. Looks like things are good to go! Bring what you want. (excepting those illegal explosives, of course....) (quite frankly, the language prohibiting illegal explosives kind of makes me want some...)

Fire Restrictions Terminated- Pike and San Isabel National Forests & Royal Gorge BLM Lands
Release Date: Jul 17, 2013
PUEBLO, Colo., June 17, 2013…Beginning immediately, all fire and smoking restrictions are terminated for public lands managed by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS), Pike and San Isabel National Forests and the Royal Gorge Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The Order was rescinded June 16, 2013.
Even without fire restrictions, visitors should be aware of weather conditions and be careful with the use of fire outdoors. Visitors may check with their local U.S. Forest Service office or go to the web at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/psicc/ Fire Information to learn about specific restrictions.
Fire Safety Messages:
• Make sure that you can have a campfire and obey all fire restrictions.
• Keep a bucket of water and a shovel near the campfire.
• When putting a campfire out, drown it with water, stir the fire with dirt and more water until all the fuel is cold to the touch. Never leave a fire until it is out cold.
• If you do not have water, use dirt. Mix enough dirt or sand with the embers. Continue adding and stirring until all material is cool.
• DO NOT bury the fire as the fire will continue to smolder and could catch roots on fire that will eventually get to the surface and start a wildfire.

sab
07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
The USFS must have a computer glitch in their press release system. This latest notice has the same problem as the previous one (the issue date and the header date are exactly one month apart).

SonOfBear
07-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I'll be there. Anybody planning on going up on thursday? I'd like to get a bit more camping done, but I don't know where camp is precisely.

gonehuntn
07-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I usually try and go up early but I can't this year. It may be Sat morning before I can get there. Send me a PM and I can give a call with specific directions.

Bender
07-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Count me in Paul

MojoSlim
07-22-2013, 04:02 PM
I'll be there. Anybody planning on going up on thursday? I'd like to get a bit more camping done, but I don't know where camp is precisely.

If you don't/didn't get the info from Eric, give me a call/email, JayR. Would love to get up early on Thursday, but going to be with the wife and inlaws - we're coming in Friday. Now, if you wanted to drive up to Steamboat and pick me up, I'd be down for heading in on Thursday :)

Look forward to seeing you there.

topher89
07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I will be heading up for the day on Saturday... Probably hit the trailhead around 8 or 9 and hike on up!

topher89
07-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I will be heading up for the day on Saturday... Probably hit the trailhead around 8 or 9 and hike on up!

hammbone
07-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Can someone PM and send me the directions? Thanks.

MojoSlim
07-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Can someone PM and send me the directions? Thanks.

hammbone. PM sent. Please see recent discussion on this thread regarding fire restrictions as I sent you the original message Sawtooth sends out, which has fire ban info that is now old. Perhaps you will be able to grace us with a hammbone performance? I can almost do a Fa'ataupati (Samoan slap dance).

Sawtooth
07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for covering for me, Mojo. I've been in the boonies for four days!

MojoSlim
07-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for covering for me, Mojo. I've been in the boonies for four days!

No prob.

Looking forward to getting out into the boonies this weekend, myself.

Sawtooth
07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
FYI,

I plan to be at the bottom trailhead by 10:00 AM on Saturday, if anyone wants to meet up there and hike up. My sister will be meeting me there and hiking in with me.

gonehuntn
07-24-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm going in on Friday but I plan to hike back down to the lower trail head Sat morning to meet Paul. I'll have my burro if anyone else has stuff they would like to bring in. I can't guarantee I can pack it out so plan accordingly.

hammbone
07-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Attached is a picture of Wilderness Ninja(left) and Wilderness Patrol(right) for the 10 second they would stay still. We didn't make it all the way to the "official" Rondy point but it was good to meet up with a few of the good folks on this forum (Rob, Eric, & Steve) along the trail. Wilderness ninja (left) did enough hiking to qualify for a special walking stick award in his cub scout den. We got skunked on brookies but we still had a great time trying anyway.

gonehuntn
07-29-2013, 05:18 PM
I really enjoyed everyone's company! I'm glad Sab made the trip from TX...I think he gets the award for traveling the furthest! We had a few first-timers this year as well...hope to see you all back next year. I plan on bringing more than one burro next year which means more adult beverages on ice!

sab
07-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I really enjoyed everyone's company!

I second that sentiment. Kifaru forum members are the best people on the planet! Unfortunately, I have no photos to share, as I did not bring a camera along this time.

My flight back went without a hitch, but I was really draggin' this morning. I didn't hit the rack until 2am, and I an alarm call at 5:30am. I'm too old for 3.5 hours of sleep! :):):)

Regards,
Scott

sab
07-29-2013, 08:13 PM
You can download a full-size version (3.6MB) of the group photo here:

2013 CO BCR Group Photo (http://www.cyclewacko.com/images/2013COBCRGroupShot.jpg)

Regards,
Scott

Sawtooth
07-29-2013, 08:15 PM
It was so good to see all of you! Thanks for making the big trip up from Texas, sab! I wish time allowed for two or three of those!

Sawtooth
07-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Here's a pic of my sister and I on Sunday, hiking out.

sab
07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
It was so good to see all of you! Thanks for making the big trip up from Texas, sab! I wish time allowed for two or three of those!

Thanks for having me! Yeah, two or three trips like that would be real good for the soul!

Thanks again for picking up those cleaning solutions, Sawtooth, and thanks for shipping them to me, Kevin!

Scott

robcollins
07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
We didn't make it very far in, but my kids, my dog, & I had fun too.

Eric, thanks so much for the burro ride, as Fin said: "I've never ridden one of those before..." They went from (whiny tone) "are we bringing a tent with a floor????" To having fun despite 12 hours of rain with dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYIFusVyy14

Hope to make it the whole way next time! Hammbone, Gonehuntin, it was great to see you, can't wait to do it again!

topher89
07-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Well both weddings were a bore compared to the fun I was having up there! I got to hang out Saturday morning for a while and finally see some Kifaru gear in person. We had some very academic discussions about trekking poles and the proper way to handle them and how to remove the heart and liver out of a deer without gutting.

I passed Eric and Paul on the trail and got to put faces with screen names.

Next year, weddings be damned! I will be there to hang out, eat and talk gear

gonehuntn
07-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Next year, weddings be damned! I will be there to hang out, eat and talk gear

Sounds like you've got your priorities straight now! :)

Bender
07-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm glad I made it up on this one, I learned a lot from everyone. As soon as I can get my pics up, I will. Thanks for all of your advice, the next trip will be a lot lighter and farther.

Eric

COShunter
07-30-2013, 08:22 AM
I had a great time, and enjoyed visiting with everyone, brainstorming about new gear and trying new camp foods. Thank you Patrick, Sawtooth and everyone else for the planning and putting together a great BCR SAB, it was great to see you again, and thanks for the advise. Everyone have a great late summer and fall.

MojoSlim
07-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks to all attendees for the good stories, food, libations, and company! Familiar smiling faces always warm the heart, and seeing new ones does as well! Thanks to everyone for making Nautilus' parents feel welcome; we're working on getting her dad to retire that old Kelty external frame in favor of a Bikini Timberline type setup.

sab, definitely kudos to you on the trip out. Great seeing you again and we look forward to seeing you and Mrs. sab soon! Thanks for passing around the 12 year old scotch!

Countdown to the winter rondy ...

tendeerfeet
07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I wish I was back there right now!

Sawtooth
07-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Sab, just a note to let you know how impressed I was with your cuben fiber shelter. Well done, my friend!

sab
07-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Sawtooth! It was a lot of work, but the payoff is a much lighter pack!

Regards,
Scott

MojoSlim
07-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Kevin, awesome pics as always. You may be the official archivalist (archivist? Archivologist?); as you always have a bunch of good pix! Thanks!

MojoSlim
07-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Sawtooth! It was a lot of work, but the payoff is a much lighter pack!

Regards,
Scott

Nothing like wrestling with a machine with enough diligence to create something unique in the end, man! Based on your finished product, I bet the tustle was quite epic!

Strangely, I'm almost as impressed with your UL flask as I am with your tent. Maybe it's a Pavlovian conditioned response correlated to the fine scotch that it contained ...

sab
08-01-2013, 04:18 AM
...I'm almost as impressed with your UL flask as I am with your tent.

The UL flask was much easier to attain than the shelter! I just sent a few bucks to Lawson at mountainfitter.com, and he sent it to me :) Sadly, he no longer sells them...

Scott

Bender
08-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Caught me checking my eyelids for holes. Nice pics man

topher89
08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Have the BCR hats shipped out yet?

My hat fell off my pack a few miles from them Rondy site on Sunday and I need a replacement :D

gonehuntn
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Have the BCR hats shipped out yet?

My hat fell off my pack a few miles from them Rondy site on Sunday and I need a replacement :D

You'll have to come to the Spring Rondy for a hat! :)

topher89
08-07-2013, 07:22 PM
You'll have to come to the Spring Rondy for a hat! :)

Patrick took down everyone's addresses the morning I was there for hats. But yes, the spring rondy is on my calendar :D

Sawtooth
08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Well, I'll be darned! That's a nice surprise! Glad you have a replacement sooner than later topher!

topher89
08-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Here is the hat mere hours before it was lost.... I think a Kifaru BCR one will be much cooler:D