PDA

View Full Version : Patching Holes in KU 5200

wowzers
05-21-2013, 08:21 PM
So i just recently purchased this pack and would like to know the best way to patch this particular hole. It is right under the packlock pad where the cordura meets the sil. It seems like the spot is in kind of a higher stress area so I was thinking sewing it might be a better option than just patching with silicone and a patch. Any thoughts?

Take-a-knee
05-22-2013, 02:06 AM
I'd "fix" it via UPS back to Kifaru.

wowzers
05-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Just to be clear I purchased the pack used and knew about the hole.

Tim in Washington
05-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Try to fond some syl. nylon mat. to cut some patches,than stick it on with silicone.McNett makes good patching kits.You should be able to find them at places like REI
Tim

KING2005
05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
So i just recently purchased this pack and would like to know the best way to patch this particular hole. It is right under the packlock pad where the cordura meets the sil. It seems like the spot is in kind of a higher stress area so I was thinking sewing it might be a better option than just patching with silicone and a patch. Any thoughts?

Kifaru will fix this, and fix it right. Don't screw around with anything else IMO

They don't care who owns it, Patrick has an ironclad guarantee of workmanship for the life of his stuff, which is why we all pay the big bucks and love the product.

Piolet
05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
I'd endorse the idea of sending it back to Kifaru for repair. This seems to be a wear area for the 5200s. I bought a used 5200 from the Trading Post that had a very similar tear (or abrasion). The original owner discovered the issue and sent it back to Kifaru, and they repaired it (and seem to have "strengthened" the area along the seam). I know Kifaru has discontinued the KU pack line, but they'd probably agree to do the repair and the charge probably wouldn't be too expensive.

robcollins
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
They repaired a 1994 Mountainsmith Rock-It for me 3 years ago. They are awesome.

wowzers
05-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. It has some other holes and issues but this was the only one that concerned me so I might fire off an email and see if I can get a quote. I was hesitant to send it back because from what I understood the warranty issues is what killed the whole line. I haven't got a real chance to test it yet, but I already like the feel and features. This was my first Kifaru and I think I might have just been converted.

njloco
05-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow, that sucks, I didn't know the KU line was discontinued, Oh well, at least I got mine.

Treebeard
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
I can't help but say it:

1000 Denier.

Ok I am going back to the tactical section now :D

Take-a-knee
11-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I can't help but say it:

1000 Denier.

Ok I am going back to the tactical section now :D

After you get done at the "tactical section", check out Big River Dry Bags, and custom 210 denier dynema-grid replaceable packsacks, 'cause that is the future. If you can bust out a six-minute mile and then go deadlift 500, then go on back to the tactical section and disregard. We mere mortals have to make other choices.