PDA

View Full Version : Old Pack Question

Ralph
05-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I have a Boy Scout #574 Yucca pack with the Camp Trails aluminum packframe dating from the '50s. On one sde of the pack body, about 3" above the sewn-on side pocket toward the shulder straps is a carefully placed, reinforced 1/4" brass grommet. I can usually figure out what these small details are used for but this one has me stumped.

I thought perhaps a loop for holding a hatchet but the alignment with the pocket is wrong. It's too high for a drain and too heavily reinforced for ventilation (and I don't know why you would need ventilation anyhow). Does anyone have any idea of the purpose of this grommet?

robcollins
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
I was using Google-Fu (failed) and just have an observation that grommets had strings tied to them on the flaps, is there anything in the proximity that it might get tied to? I've got a similar vintage frameless rucksack, I'll give it a look too.

My other responses were: headphone routing and hydration tube routing... :-)

Ralph
05-10-2013, 06:27 PM
The pack pre-dates headphones and hydration tubes and there is nothing, like a flap in proxity. A 1/8" cord, knotted at the end could be run through the grommet and the tail used to tie the pack to a canoe thwart or a vehicle but I'd expect to find a grommet on both sides if that was the case.

This version Yucca could be used without the frame, in fact a removable set of shoulder straps was included with the pack. The pack mounts on the frame with two sleeves, closed at the top, that fit over the upright aluminum tubes of the frame. The bottom of the pack is tied to the frame by two short buckled straps at the bottom. The removable straps are complete to themselves and, again, the grommet plays no part.

The grommet isn't an afterthought or a modification added by someone, it is an integral part of the initial pack assembly and well installed.

razorhead
05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Throw up a picture so we can see it.

one-eyed Bob
05-12-2013, 08:32 AM
If I recall, there was a cord on each flap which could tie to the one from the other side to hold the flaps over the top opening as a sort of seal against the weather.

Ralph
05-12-2013, 08:39 AM
This version of the pack has a drawstring, grommeted closure. The flap is secured with leather straps and buckles. I'll snap some pictures today.

Ralph
05-12-2013, 09:20 AM
The grommet from the outside and the inside. This is only on the one side

12312 12313