PDA

View Full Version : Duplex frame belt sizes.

razorhead
05-06-2013, 08:44 PM
How long is the padded section of a medium belt when compared to a small belt? What are the waist size ranges that S, M and L should fit?

Patrick
05-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Razorhead, I'm not where I can measure the belt pads, but the relevant answer to your question is this:

Small belt fits waists from 28 inches to 33 inches; Medium belt fits waists from 34 inches to 38 inches; and the Large belt fits waists from 39 inches and up. There is a little overlap between the sizes. If you are a reliable 33 inch waist you can run a Medium belt. BUT if you tend to lose weight when you're in shape---dropping below that reliable 33 inch waist size--select the Small belt.

And so forth.

razorhead
05-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks Patrick. I just got my first piece of Kifaru gear out of the box this morning. The first thing I noticed was the quality of the hardware and fabric. It's unlike the made in Asia stuff that I'm accustomed to.

With the small belt centered at the top of my hips, I can cinch it until the ends of the padding are not quite to the buckle, and there is approximately 1-1/4" of web left on each side before they bottom out. This is with only a t-shirt on and the belt is VERY tight.

I'm wondering if I would run out of adjustment on a medium. The extra padding length may be nice over warm clothes. But I definitely don't want it to bottom out when I'm in a t-shirt. This thing will get used the most for summer scouting and warm September hunting.

rhunter424
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Something I've noticed with my only G2 pack (duplex frame) compared to my G1 packs is that the padded lumbar support appears to give me a little less extra strap length.

With a medium belt on a G1 pack, the ends of the padded portion of the belt are almost touching the buckle.

With a medium belt on a G2 pack, the ends of the padded portion of the belt are a little farther apart. This difference might go away as the padding looses some of it's resistance.

Patrick
05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
razorhead, I'm pleased and honored you like our gear.

The "key" we're after in our belts is "enough" padding past your hip bones. If that's achieved the belt fits. So it sounds like your Small is fine. You are correct, bottoming out is not good at all. Some tips:

---VERY tight is the proper way to run the belt, especially when carrying heavy loads.
---When wearing lots of thick clothing pull the "excess" up above the belt. Let it sag down around the belt on the outside. You'll be just as warm and the belt will perform better, just like you're "used to". Too much bulky, slippery garb degrades performance.

rhunter424, the above discussion with razorhead applies to your observation about a very slight "shorterness" with G2 belts...due to the thicker lumbar pad. Again, the belts, as chosen by us according to your waist pant size, provide "enough" padding past the hip bone points, and therefore "fit".

Good conversation, gents.

steveb
05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm one of those guys right on the cusp between the small and medium belt (33/34 waist). Having used both sizes, I've come to prefer the small belt. It gives me a more secure wrap (less pack sag) when wearing hot weather clothing and works fine with more clothing. If I was really in shape, my waist would be a 32, and my hip bones are sized as such....ergo small belt.

razorhead
05-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm one of those guys right on the cusp between the small and medium belt (33/34 waist). Having used both sizes, I've come to prefer the small belt. It gives me a more secure wrap (less pack sag) when wearing hot weather clothing and works fine with more clothing. If I was really in shape, my waist would be a 32, and my hip bones are sized as such....ergo small belt.

That's good to know. And I currently have a winter layer of pudge that I need to account for. My trousers fit without a belt which is a bad sign because I buy them big.

I'm going to test it out with some weight tomorrow.