PDA

View Full Version : waterproof pacck/water resistant

lostbackpa
04-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I have been reading a lot of good information on this website. Look like great packs. Pretty sure I'll pull the trigger on a bikini and dt2 pretty soon .

My question is about being waterproof/water resistant. I hunt mainly in WAState and it can be known for precipitation. I havent seen any posts about if these (kifaru) packs are waterproof. I haven't for sure decided on which kifaru pack but it will be a bikini for sure.

My packs in the past have to utilize a cover to make them waterproof.

If they aren't waterproof/resistant can something be sprayed on them to help with that???

Thanks
Mike--lostbackpacker--

robcollins
04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I run an MMR with a cargo panel, I pack in a Seal Line dry bag from an ILBE pack. Could do similar with a bikini frame I'd guess..

I've had my 1000d XRay in rain, I think it could benefit from DWR, as could the panel. Never have gotten contents wet, but if you're talking totally waterproof, ILBE sacks are cheap for 65liters, heck get 2!!

Benny BC
04-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Go dry bags mate. A whole lot easier than trying to find a waterproof pack.

Randy
04-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm still toting a G1 Longhunter.
After 4-5 days of rain and snow in the Pacific Northwest my pack is WET! I use the Kifaru pack cover that came with my pack and it works really well to keep things dry. The pack only gets wet when I leave the cover at home to save some weight:) That said, everything in my pack is in separate bags so the contents stay dry, but the pack itself is wet and heavy.

Treebeard
05-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Use dry bags... I have several smaller dry bags, and one large one. The largest is the USMC ILBE 65L with valve which I mainly keep dry clothes in. The others hold all the rest. Things that don't matter if they get wet don't go in dry bags.

Sawtooth
05-12-2013, 05:29 PM
First I put my down bag in a Regulator stuff sack and then put that inside a dry bag. Then I also use a silnylon pack cover. That takes care of it!