PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Kifaru Colorado Rendezvous

Patrick
04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
The 2013 Grandaddy Rendezvous will be the 10TH! Looks like this annual event has truly taken hold.

The location is in beautiful South Park, which was the location of a real deal Mountain Man Rendezvous or two back in the Trapper Era nearly two hundred years ago. The scenary alone is worth attending. Of course the fellowship with Message Board friends--new and old--is the main reason for turning out. Throw in shooting--both archery and firearms--plus the best game cooking anywhere and you have an idea of the festivities.

Attendees will need to bring their own shelter and food and bedding for car camping. Snow is always likely and the road is gnarly enough that 4WD is highly recommended. Details on what to bring and how to get there will be provided when you register with our angie@kifaru.net. Kifaru tipis will be on hand for examination--if you get there early enough you can "claim" one, just allow other folks to look it over during the daytime. The big 24 man tipi will be open to all as the central Gathering Place. It is the traditional scene of multi-course potluck dinners that are simply the best anywhere! Bring your favorite foodstuffs and join in. Twin Arctic stoves are at your service.

If I've forgotten anything plenty of Regulars can help you out right here. Give Angie your name(s) address and phone number.

Dates are Wednesday May 15 to Sunday May 19, 2013.

I am looking forward to seeing all your dear, dear friends at the Tenth! Yahoo.

shtfco
04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Hell yeah Patrick Im in. see you there.

Sawtooth
04-11-2013, 05:52 AM
I'll be there! Let's hope for good weather and NO WIND. Yeah, right... ;)

flamingo 7
04-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I'll be there. Wind or not.

Curtis C
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM
That's the same weekend as the Colorado State Track Meet. My daughter will be throwing shot and discus so I will have work around that little. Look forward to meeting folks from the Kifaru site.

Curtis

MojoSlim
04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Nautilus and I will be there. Trying to make it out either Wednesday or Thursday. Got some Elk Brats saved for some potluck.

Looking forward to another great Rondy with great friends, old and new.

mark s
04-12-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm going to try to make it as a start of a western trip. If so, I'll bring another backstrap.

Kmassaro
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
I'll be there. And I'll stand next to Sawtooth so he can block the wind.

Sawtooth
04-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I'll be there. And I'll stand next to Sawtooth so he can block the wind.

I don't block much wind, but I do break it now and then.

Ermine
04-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Ill be there that friday night. Hopefully

Herb
04-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Conflict, sad to say I am out .

Ralph
04-13-2013, 04:37 AM
One of my day dreams is to win a lottery, charter a Gulf Stream, pick up some of the guys from the NE and spend a weekend at the original rondezvous. Not this year, I'm afraid.

Have fun, take pictures and tell us about it.

ozarkrambler
04-13-2013, 07:01 AM
We should be there sometime Thursday morning. Works out good this year, kids will be out of school so we are going to stay till Tuesday.

Ozark

COShunter
04-13-2013, 07:49 AM
I will be, hope to come Thur evening or early Friday. Not sure how many will come with

Smokepole
04-14-2013, 06:05 AM
I may come up on Thursday evening. Have to leave by Friday evening, our son is graduating from college on Saturday. So you guys'll have to set your own alarms if you want to get up early on Saturday. Unless Don's there.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
I may come up on Thursday evening. Have to leave by Friday evening, our son is graduating from college on Saturday. So you guys'll have to set your own alarms if you want to get up early on Saturday. Unless Don's there.

Dang Smoke, make sure and leave a few of those 6.5mm rifles and Jon S. & I will make sure they are shooting straight.

Ethan & I plan on being there. We are about to move the homestead from Cheyenne to Lander, so if a home selling/buying issue arises we may miss some of the weekend.

Smokepole
04-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Dang Smoke, make sure and leave a few of those 6.5mm rifles and Jon S. & I will make sure they are shooting straight.

You guys are bringing rifles??

colohunter303
04-15-2013, 07:58 AM
I am in, will finally be bringing the brother and his finace. Darn kid has been standing me up for 5 years on coming to this thing.

GIFFMANN
04-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Looks like my twins and I will be swinging up Friday evening for a night or two.
Glad to finally be able to participate!

shtfco
04-24-2013, 06:26 PM
I will be bringing my new Excalibur out to shoot. Should be good times

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/20130424_182339_zps08db57dd.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/20130424_182339_zps08db57dd.jpg.html)

mgutman
04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
I am bummed I'll be out of town but there in spirit!

A.I.G
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm super excited! Kifaru just shipped me a 12 man teepee and stove today! On top of that, I just talked my wife into pulling the kids out of school on the afternoon of the 15th and heading to the Rendezvous!

One question: I have a well behaved Boston Terrier. Is she allowed or should I make arrangements for her to stay with her grandparents?

I can be reached at averageiowaguy@gmail.com

colohunter303
04-29-2013, 05:08 PM
I havent been to a single Rondy that didnt include atleast one canine. Just keep him away from huntsman22. He's been known to shoot a yodle dog and give skinning lessons to all the youngins.

A.I.G
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I havent been to a single Rondy that didnt include atleast one canine. Just keep him away from huntsman22. He's been known to shoot a yodle dog and give skinning lessons to all the youngins.

I guarantee Huntsman22 would be cuddling and loving on my Boston Terrier within 10 minutes of meeting her. I'm SO pumped!

Huntsman22
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Do terriers skin easier than coyotes?

Sawtooth
04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Gonna miss you mgoatman.

robcollins
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Do terriers skin easier than coyotes?

They sure smell better....

MojoSlim
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
If any of you heading to the rondy want to pack your .22lr pistols for me to scope out, I'd be very much obliged (and generous with my whiskey ... after firearm handling, of course). That is one of my next gear lusts. I'll bring ammo.

Also, by chance, does anyone own a wool blanket shirt? (Not the type made with native american blankets with the geometric designs, but one more along the lines of the Boreal Shirt or WBS from Empire Canvas Works: http://empirecanvasworks.com/boreal.htm) I'm trying to get some ideas to sew my own, and I'd really appreciate taking a look at some (I've never seen one in person).

I am bummed I'll be out of town but there in spirit!

Sorry to hear, but you'll be bumming it on Ka'anapali beach, right? ... Lucky sucker! (BTW, we need to get in touch before you head out down there).

Send goat in your stead!

colohunter303
05-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Mojo- I'll bring my glock 19 with advantage arms conversion kit. Its the best of both worlds and is much more accurate than I am. You'll be more than welcome tomplink some of the tiny steel with it

MojoSlim
05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Mojo- I'll bring my glock 19 with advantage arms conversion kit. Its the best of both worlds and is much more accurate than I am. You'll be more than welcome tomplink some of the tiny steel with it

Thanks man, I'll definitely want to check that out. I'll look for you around the big tipi.

mgutman
05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Gonna miss you mgoatman.

Sorry to hear, but you'll be bumming it on Ka'anapali beach, right? ... Lucky sucker! (BTW, we need to get in touch before you head out down there).

Send goat in your stead!

I'm going to miss you guys as well. But yes, I will be all Mahalo'd out, so that's a good thing. Mojo - we do need to connect. I've been slammed at work but I'll shoot you a note off line. I want to do one of those epic Patrick Smith hikes across the island.

Cleve
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Glad to say I'll be able to make it again this year. Work schedule conflicted the past 5 years or so. But no longer an issue. Likely come up late Wed or Thurs morning through Friday night at least, maybe Saturday if I can get out of something my lovely bride signed me up for w/o asking. Looking forward to it! Been too, too long.

orionx
05-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I'll be making it. Hoping to take off Wednesday afternoon.

MDS
05-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Having just moved to the area, all my camping gear will be in storage until early June. I'm hoping it would be OK to just swing by for a while on Saturday? I have some 5.56 and a new AR that needs sighting in... :D

Jon S
05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
MDS,
Let me know if we can help with some gear loan, if you get up there early, you can snag a tipi to sleep in, just be ready for visitors to check them out for size. I have enough gear you could borrow for a night out if you wanted/needed.

Patrick
05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
MDS, say whatever you need and it will be there. Shelter, bag, pad...that about do it? Clothing? ??

Anybody heard from Huntsman22?

MDS
05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Oh, wow, thanks for the offer, guys! Let me check with the household CEO and if there's nothing planned for Sunday, I/we may just take you up!

Jon S
05-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I am trying to convince the wife and newly born daughter Kendall Elliott (5/1/13) to come up for the day. I may try and spend the night with or without Kimber as she keeps wavering on whether she wants to sleep in her tent or stay home with mommy.

flamingo 7
05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Any one know what the conditions are at the site? Wondering if they're getting any of this snow.

Huntsman22
05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Patrick, I'll be up on Saturday.

Cleve
05-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Any one know what the conditions are at the site? Wondering if they're getting any of this snow.

Was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't surprise me if there's snow still at that altitude.

ozarkrambler
05-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Anybody going to the Rondy happen to have a Kimber Montana 84L? I'm thinking about buying one for my oldest boys graduation next year but would like to see one beforehand.

Thanks

Sawtooth
05-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't surprise me if there's snow still at that altitude.

Jefferson got about 12" of snow the past few days, but it's now melting and the roads are all clear. This time of year, spring snow doesn't hang around a long time. I think we're good.

flamingo 7
05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
12271122721227312274Took a run out to the site today. 1"-1.5" of snow in the open. It was snowing grapple when we arrived but then cleared for a bit. Started up again just as we left and by the time we got to Jefferson it was really coming down (or across; blowing). The roads are good (with the exception of hy 77 S of the resevoir. Under construction; think theyre installing additional potholes.) I didn't drive down to the new site; I forgot my chains and didn't know if I could get back up. The ice is out at Terryall and there were two boats on the water.

Cleve
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the report Flamingo 7. Looks doable for sure.

MDS
05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
MDS, Let me know if we can help with some gear loan

MDS, say whatever you need and it will be there. Shelter, bag, pad...that about do it? Clothing? ??

Guys, thanks again for the generous offer! Spending the night would just be too complicated so we'll just swing by on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting good folks and checking out good gear. It sure takes a whole different approach to spend time in the snowy mountains, compared to my background in the steamy rain forest...

gonehuntn
05-14-2013, 07:25 AM
I doubt there will be much snow left by the weekend but it might be a little muddy. Looks like I'll be up Saturday morning. I'll bring my cooking disks for the pot-luck in the big top.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Well it looks like I will miss my 3rd in a row. We will be tied up with the demands of our planned move from Cheyenne to Lander. Eman & i will be meeting a home inspector in Lander Sat morning, but we will make sure to swing by the Popo Agie River to wet a line in observance of the Rondy.

Have fun guys & gals!! Fling some arrows & tip back a cold brew for the Wyoming boys!

Curtis C
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
My daughter has track meet events on Friday @ 12 and then Saturday @ 8:30. I will be there mid day Saturday and plan to stay till Sunday evening.

MDS
05-18-2013, 11:11 PM
The family and I had a great time today visiting the Rondy. Thanks to all the great folks there, the folks who patiently explained the ins and outs of tipi camping, and especially to the ones who let my 3-year-old shoot their 22LR rifle. We all had a great time. I'm totally sold on the tipis and gear to make the high country outdoors more comfortable, I can sense an expensive addiction forming inside me. ;)

Thanks again!

shtfco
05-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Like to thank Patrick and Team for having us out. Had a blast. Got to see all the great TP's and stoves. Aside from the wind it was a lot of fun. Got to do some 12 gauge shooting also while up there. Thanks again.

colohunter303
05-20-2013, 07:58 AM
As some of you may have noticed, I didnt make it this year. My father was taken to the ER on friday night after a fall and I elected to stay and help him out rather than head up to the rondy. Luckily all is well and he is doing great. I hope y'all had a great time!

Ken
05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Glad to hear your dad is ok.

Smokepole
05-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Plus 1, a fall at his age can be serious, glad he's doing well.

GIFFMANN
05-21-2013, 11:11 AM
As some of you may have noticed, I didnt make it this year. My father was taken to the ER on friday night after a fall and I elected to stay and help him out rather than head up to the rondy. Luckily all is well and he is doing great. I hope y'all had a great time!

Glad he is doing well!

GIFFMANN
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Patrick,

Thanks so much for hosting this! I just wish that it hadn't taken til the 10th anniversary for me to attend. My boys and I, as well as my friend Doug, had a great time. Just wish we could have spent more than 1 night.

Thank you to everyone for the hospitality and the generosity as well!

Looking forward to the 11th!!!

Robbie
05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
So did they ban cameras in Colorado?

sab
05-21-2013, 01:43 PM
So did they ban cameras in Colorado?

Only those that take a detachable memory card holding more than 15 pics :)

Treebeard
05-21-2013, 11:20 PM
I have an Excalibur too... The Equinox. I think it's the best crossbow ever built, but I could be biased :D

I will be bringing my new Excalibur out to shoot. Should be good times

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/20130424_182339_zps08db57dd.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/20130424_182339_zps08db57dd.jpg.html)

Brawny Man
05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
12405 Xena Made It Home Everyone I got her Back this morning. All I have to say is that the distance that she walked she would put a lot of us to shame.

Brawny Man
05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
12406 She sure is stinky but not going anywhere again. Thank you to all of you that helped me look for her!

MojoSlim
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Dude! That is so friggin' awesome! How'd you find her? How far from camp did she go? Wow. I think there's a memorial that needs to be taken down at the site! Glad that Xena will be barking at Patrick from your tent again!

mtnali
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Seriously a miracle!!! Man I am so happy for you Joe! We all love our little Xena Bean!

Kmassaro
05-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Joe, you have to give us more of a story than that....what happened?

Glad to hear she's back. You have to be sleeping better now.

Brawny Man
05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Well around 10:00 this morning I got a phone call from a guy that was camped up on East Kenosha Pass, I didn't really know where that was until I got there and really saw how far she did walk. It had to be at least 15 miles from the Rondy site. Not including how dogs normally wander. When I met up with the guy I told him generally where we were camping and he was in total shock that she made it that far. She did great! Probably kept all the coyotes away with her aggressive barking. 5 days out there, she is a tough dog. I am so so so blessed to have her back.

MojoSlim
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Well around 10:00 this morning I got a phone call from a guy that was camped up on East Kenosha Pass, I didn't really know where that was until I got there and really saw how far she did walk. It had to be at least 15 miles from the Rondy site. Not including how dogs normally wander. When I met up with the guy I told him generally where we were camping and he was in total shock that she made it that far. She did great! Probably kept all the coyotes away with her aggressive barking. 5 days out there, she is a tough dog. I am so so so blessed to have her back.

That's amazing. One bad@ss little Corgi.

gonehuntn
05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
CTK...I think Xena needs a hiking merit badge! I'm sure you have one on your old sash.

MojoSlim
05-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Well, the 2013 Granddaddy Rondy was a great time for Nautilus and I. It is always a welcomed time, where we get to see current friends, and make new ones. Thanks to all ya'll who stopped by the yurt. I got some great constructive comments about it.

Thanks to JR @ Kifaru, Eric @ Kifaru, Nate, Austin @ Kifaru, Joe @ Kifaru (CTK), Sawtooth, Tim et. al. for the jam session around the camp fire - wouldn't have been the same without you all singing, holding down the drum, and rocking that egg shaker (which never made it back with us, might still be somewhere around where the 24 man went). And thanks to Patrick, Rex, Tim, Joe (CTK), Sawtooth, and the gentleman who's name I did not catch, for the second jam session in the 24 man. I don't think I've had so much fun in quite a while - Nautilus and I will definitely add it to our most fond memories list! Wooo-woooo.

Thanks to Steve (Flamingo7), Bill (singleshot), and Rex (CShunter) for letting me check out your .22 handguns/pistols - And Patrick for letting us check out that James Bond pistol ;) Not that I needed any more obsessions, but with your help, it will make the obsession of acquiring a little plinker like those you demoed, a bit smoother. I actually found some .22lr in the LGS today after work ... how auspicious.

Very glad to have been a part of the 10th Annual Kifaru Spring Rondy and look forward to many more!

See you all on the trail!

Kmassaro
05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
The egg shaker was in the 24 man Sunday morning. Check the shop, they may have it.

Patrick
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
The egg shaker is on my design table. I shake it now and then for good vibe's sake.

Can send it or bring to Summer Rendezvous...or? Tell me what....

Sawtooth
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Joe, am I so happy that Xena made it back from the wild and is safe and sound with you! What an unbelievable and simply awesome story! Good things happen to good people!

I don't know which was more fun, moving the egg shaker or playing Nautilus' bongo drum. Either way, I had fun keeping time to Mojo's amazing riffs on the mini guitar and singing out of tune with Patrick. It was grand seeing all of you this year. Too bad we can only get together a few times each year, because the three rendezvous we have in Colorado are the three best weekends all year.

Thanks to gonehuntn for haulin' ass up to the rondy, Ross and Joshua from Kifaru Arms for showing me the amazing new Rambling Rifle, the rest of you for being there, ozarkrambler and sons for driving all the way out from southeast Kansas, and to my sensei Patrick for starting this up a decade ago!

MojoSlim
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
The egg shaker is on my design table. I shake it now and then for good vibe's sake.

Can send it or bring to Summer Rendezvous...or? Tell me what....

Keep it and shake as needed - consider it a gift :) I have quite a few. But do try to bring it to the Summer Rondy, We'll enjoy having the extra percussion!

Patrick
05-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks, and you have a deal!

Curtis C
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Its awesome that Xena is home. I never met her but sensed she was still with us on Sunday when we left. Being a rookie this year I failed to bring for the potluck. I'll do better at the next. It was nice to meet you all.

Curtis