PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you packed and unpacked and packed and repacked and packed again?

shtfco
04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I think Im up to 20 times now its a sickness.

I really really like the POD. I used it to slap my sleeping bag to the bottom of the pack. Saves me some room for my food in the pack. Still have plenty of room if I want to stuff my coat in there with the sleeping bag. God damn this stuff is addicting. Anyway here is a photo of what Im saying. Case anyone gives a hoot. Just had to spread my joy of the POD. =-) Have an XLT lid and 2 long pockets enroute too. Those black 5.11's may have to get taken off with the long pockets I have coming. We shall See. I planned to strap my bow to the back in the Grab it. and my Ridgerest on top. Still playing with it. With what it currently has in it excluding food and 3 liters of water in my bladder Im at 40 lbs. So I definitely need to loose some weight.

Clothing. If Im packing in for 7 to 10 days, what do you guys do for clothing? Id like to get some ideas. I have a nice scentlok lightweight coat for hot days. a Russel outdoor primaloft stuffed coat for cold nights and cold days. Pants I have a thin lightweight pair of poly RT Camo Pants to go over my non camo lightweight pants. then a pair of Fleece cargo hunting pants in Max Camo. So I really dont have a matching hunting type suite. eventually I will get one.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/20130403_231814_zpse0c88c20.jpg

Benny BC
04-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I find no matter how neatly & organised I pack at home things change when I'm out bush. The load generally stays in the same area of the pack but convenience takes over. Stuff sacks move to the bottom (empty) & the kit that was in them goes in the main pack semi neat & compressed anyway. I think a larger waterproof liner is better than smaller individual dry bags depending on what it is of course.

jljmonky
04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I use a bit of a hybrid packing mix. I use leggings or thermal pants under zip off Columbia or North face pants, I carry military gore Tex pants. When it is darn cold I trade the zip offs for M1951 field pants and still carry either the gore tex or light lined snow pants. If my base layers get wet I can strip to the snow pants or gore tex while moving so the other stuff can dry. On top is similar. Patagonia nano puff (still working to dye it a good color) with under armor cold heat and either gore tex top or REI rain jacket. I carry either a spare wool sweater or fleece as well. I can mix and match layers and only carry spare socks, underwear, one t shirt and a pair of like swim trunks/running shorts to toss on at night while de funking with baby wipes.

robcollins
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I really like external pockets or pods for food and I keep fuel/stoves/stuff that could leak and ruin food etc. redundantly bagged. The reason for the external food carrying is that I don't want that smell on my clothes/gear to encourage mice or worse, and I can easily (or not, depends on the day/night/location) hang it away from camp.

I also have my dog with me a lot of the time and she's really good about letting me know if anything is in the neighborhood, but if I draw black powder elk, she doesn't get to go, it'll be just me.

I carry a lot of liner socks and then Smartwool over those, polypropylene bottoms and top, merino top, USGI softshell pants (ECWCS level 5), TAD Ranger Hoodie, Otte Gear Parka, USGI Goretex pants. Baby wipes at night between days, air drying socks in the tent. An extra pair of clean socks with me everywhere, I went into quicksand in December pheasant hunting up to my waist at 20 degrees out, was pretty okay, but used dry grass to clean out my boots, changed socks & hunted the rest of the day with no complaint.

Pathfinder
04-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Almost every day all winter and alot through the summer...lol

widowshooter
04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
At least weekly.