PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the KU 3700

1morehill
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Just asking if anyone can give me some feedback regarding this pack, I live in Canada , some of the places I travel too are quite thick, lots of thickets jagged broken trees ect... Can someone give me honest feedback regarding this type of material before I purchase one, Love this bag but am concerned about the type of interior I am using it for. Because I live kinda far from Kifaru don't want to get into a situation of sending the pack for repair. Thanks James

Solitude
03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
James
The pack is very well built and I have loaded it up with meat and crushed myself ling before the pack ever failed. The material is strong, buy not as tough as the traditional materials. As an UL pack, it's second to none. Personally I feel if you respect the pack it will last you for many many years.

For me, when I am going on lengthy bivy trips I take the KU pack and go with my T2(like external pockets) when staying relatively close chasing local elk.

robcollins
03-28-2013, 04:53 PM
I've got a friend who has this pack, my opinion is I wouldn't do it unless I was on established trails most of the time. Ripping through places like you're describing with a silnylon pack isn't what I'd do. But, that's why I've got an MMR with a military cargo panel. Able to carry a big load? Absolutely. Ripping through brambles isn't what it's designed for. The suspension of Kifaru packs is such that you won't notice the additional weight of the 1000D or the lighter cordura of the hunting line. The KU line in my opinion will hold up to bashing, but will show wear unlike cordura.

Disclaimer: Your mileage will vary, I'm the type of person that without proper supervision, could f$%k up a crowbar in a sand pile. My Kifaru packs however look pretty new still though.

Tim in Washington
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I've had a KU 5200 since the first year they came out.I'm not familiar with where you hike but mine spends allot of tome on the Olympic Peninsula which is VERY thick.It's held up just fine
Tim

1morehill
03-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks guys for all the input I really found it informative. I will probably pull the trigger on this pack. I have been wondering as well how does it handle winter type gear i.e. Snowshoes, K.Stove and Axe as well as I've seen Patrick mention on an earlier video about an abrasion will wear a hole in the material should there be an extra type of precaution taken as to wear to place in or on the bag ideas please or practical experience with the load out of this type of gear.
James

Spence
03-29-2013, 06:09 AM
James,
I have the 3700,and am very impressed how it withstands lots of the prickers and brush I drag it through down here in AL. That said, I did manage to get a hole/rip in the bottom of a waist pouch(still not sure how). I'm familiar with the terrain of Quebec and northern Ontario, and as long as you don't purposely bust through those thickets of Spruce,et al with complete disregard for the pack, you should be OK. Definitely takes thinking more about the what youre taking the pack through vs a cordura version, but its surprising resistant.

Sawtooth
03-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys for all the input I really found it informative. I will probably pull the trigger on this pack. I have been wondering as well how does it handle winter type gear i.e. Snowshoes, K.Stove and Axe as well as I've seen Patrick mention on an earlier video about an abrasion will wear a hole in the material should there be an extra type of precaution taken as to wear to place in or on the bag ideas please or practical experience with the load out of this type of gear.
James

There's no way I would try to stuff a pair of snowshoes IN my KU3700. I would lash them onto the outside of the pack. As for a Kifaru stove, I would use a Grab It and carry it outside the pack bag. My axe (Cold Steel Trail Hawk) has a removable head, so I pop the head off, put on the sheath, and stash it inside the pack. I take the haft and slide it down inside the pack bag along one side or the other. Year after year I continue to be impressed by the functionality of this pack for my backcountry travels. I just came off a multi-day backcountry canyon trip chasing early spring brown trout with a hefty load (~ 40 pounds) and this pack performed flawlessly. It's my go-to backcountry backpack...period.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/3-29-13_zps4b0d89dc.jpg

Tim in Washington
03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
You do need to exorcise more forethought and caution when packing the K U 's but for the weight savings its an easy trade off
Tim

1morehill
03-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks again everyone, The purpose of this bag for me was really long range hiking, I really dont like any of the other alternatives like the Kelty,Osprey ect... I have done my homework and conclude that I still believe in Patrick's KU line. I agree with Sawtooth on using external pockets for metal objects like snowshoes ect... I do like my ZXR and Mollex really for those types of load out, Thanks Sawtooth for that advice.I really fell in love with this bag and will be ordering one this week as I am confident it will suit my needs just fine :)

akaodie
04-05-2013, 11:58 AM
This might be a little rambling, but here is my experience. On Jan 1 2013 the oil rig Kulluck went aground near Ocean Beach on Sitkalidak Island in the gulf of Alaska. Living nearby I was able to become part of the debris clean up which involved demo and removal of a fiberglass life raft. The keel on this particular life raft had lead for ballast to keep it up right. Upon cutting the raft apart we then had to manually pack the pieces about a third of a mile to a collection site. During this process I had lashed numerous awkward and jagged pieces of fiberglass to my ku 3700 including a 90lb hunk of fiberglass and lead. With a little care full lashing my ultralight pack carried heavy loads with ease and more importantly COMFORT! Now after witnessing the way this fabric held up to the jagged fiberglass I am a firm believer in the KU line, and barring wearing my pack and walking backwards through thorn bushes I think the fabric is more than sufficient for my needs.

1morehill
04-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Wow thats a great story, Its great to see that pack functioned so beautifully. Which makes that more exciting on the arrival of mine. The best part about it it wasn't being used to actually procure something but help the environment and allow us to keep enjoying the wilderness and beauty of the land that we so gratefully take advantage of. In which we through our own need to consume The Economic Greed we allow ourselves to become less diligent in our practices therefore leading to environmental mistakes.