PDA

View Full Version : Canoe Outfit

fraserdw
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Today after a week long thaw and open water, we got a foot of bloody snow. SO I cheered myself up by repacking my canoe outfit again!

one-eyed Bob
03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Do you sit or kneel? Do you face aft and kneel in "front" of the forward thwart when facing aft or just put the gear forward to counterbalance your weight? Do you use a small outboard? You have left too many questions unanswered. Bob

fraserdw
03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
I sit amidships in a cedarstrip solo canoe I built. The ruck goes up front so I can use the map case on the belt. The ALICE with the water jug and the food barrel with the rope pod go aft. I take a water jug as I spent more time of dark deep water creeks than fresh running rivers. In my old canoe I would knee as it was a tandem but my knees are old and worn now in this the last year of my military career. No motors, ever, this my way to peace and quiet. There is nothing like getting in the boat and going for 9 to 20 days, alone. I have to say that the Kifaru is the best pack I ever used, it is amazingly flexible. Everything I need for up to 30 days except food fits nicely. Pods and pockets allow an organization that I can carry detach and carry about the campsite as needed.

Exploriment
03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Give us a rundown on what you all have there.

On a week long late season canoe trip to Killarney a while back, my pack was an OD EMR with various pods and the like lashed on. Looks familiar.

one-eyed Bob
03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
So you must portage from creek to creek? Perhaps you follow the shore and explore up rivers. Do you eat fish and potatoes?

Ken
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Patrick is always asking me WHY I carry a canoe into the woods just to catch a few trout....lol....there are few things as soothing to me as a canoe.

Love'em.

Patrick
03-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Ken, I have not forgotten our discussions about portaging. It's on the agenda.

fraserdw
03-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Give us a rundown on what you all have there.

On a week long late season canoe trip to Killarney a while back, my pack was an OD EMR with various pods and the like lashed on. Looks familiar.

Almost right, it is a MMR I got of a Brit who was leaving Kandahar. I have a mid long pocket, long pocket and the back pocket. I had to get a new belt as I am not a skinny European! Here is what I carry:

Right Side
Fire Kit

2 WP Matches
1 Magnesium
1 Small knife
1 fire starter

Tinder Bag
Birch Bark

Tool Kit

Wire
Boot Laces
Tinfoil
Snare wire
5/50 Cord 50 Feet
Rucksack Repair Kit
Spare Nozzle
5 Fuel Tabs
Oil Knife
Knife Sharpener
Gun Tape
Oil Water Filter

Misc Kit

Folding Saw
Small Lantern

Sew Kit
Batteries AA

Canteen Pouch
Water Kit

1 Litre Canteen
Stove Canteen
5 Fuel Tabs
1 bottle Water Tabs
Canteen Cup
Canteen Pot
Cup
KFS
Canteen Cup Cover

----------------------
Left Side

Pens
SAS Guide
2 Books
Misc Kit

Flashlight
Toilet Paper
Binos
Head Lamp
Water Kit

Water Filter

Shoulder Straps
Beacon
Beacon Pouch
Radio
Radio Pouch
MiniMag Light

First Aid Pouch
First Aid Kit

Scissors
Dressings
Band-Aids
CAT-T
Anti-bio Paste
Anti Itch Paste
Triangle Bandage
Bug Juice

---------------------------------

Lid
1 Writing Pad
Aircraft Panel

Inside Pouch
Reflector Oven in bag
Bug Hat

Bladder Pouch
Bladder 3 Litre

-------------------------------------

Main Bag
Clothes Kit

3 Underwear
3 T Shirt
1 Pants
1 Shirt
3 Wool Socks
3 Nylon Socks
1 Moccasins
Cold Kit

1 Fleece Jacket
1 Gloves
1 Toque
1 Scarf
1 Long Johns
Personal Kit

Shave Cream
Razor
Shampoo
Soap Bio
Floss
Toothpaste
Tooth Brush
Comb
Deodorant
Clippers
Scissors
Towel
Misc Kit

Fishing Kit

6 piece rod Spinning or Fly
Spin reel
Fly Reel
Lures and Flies

---------------------------------------

Belt
Map Kit

Map
Crayons
Map Guides
Grylls Guide
Roamer
Nav Kit

Compass
GPS
Misc Kit

Bear Banger Kit
-----------------------------------------

large Pod
Shelter Kit

Tent Tarp
Pegs
Tent
8 Bungee Cords
Mid Ruck
--------------------------------------------------

Meduim Pod
Canoe Kit

Tow Rope
Carabineers
Cook Kit

Baking sheet SS
Fire Grate
Misc Kit

Seat Pad
On Barrel
-----------------------------------------

Small Pod
Gaiters
Rain Suit
Sneakers or Boots
Top of Ruck
---------------------------------------

Back Pouch
Cook Kit

Can Opener
Mess Kit
Billy Can
Wisk
Flipper
Kettle
Plate
Tinfoil
Grate
E Tool

Sleep Pouch
Sleep Kit
Sleep Bag
Flannel Bag
Ground Sheet

Sleep Pad Bag
Sleep Pad
Tent Poles

Outside Bag
Parang
2 Tent Poles for Tarp

-------------------------------------------------

Food carried in Barrel
1 Canoe Barrel equals 1/2 weeks food
2 Canoe Barrels equals 2/4 weeks food

Food

Bacon Cup of Soup
Pancake mix Vegetable Soup
Beans Trail Mix
Noodles Flour
Pasta Bisquick
ramen noodles Cornmeal
Potatoes Baking Powder
Mashed Potatoes Baking Soda
Rice Muffin Mixes
Cous Cous Cookie Mixes
Curry Mixes Meat Sauce Mixes
Onions Spaghetti Sauce Mix
Peas Parmesan Cheese
Corn Cheese
Carrots Lard
Pineapple Salt
canned water chestnuts Pepper
Raisins Spices
Corned Beef Cinnamon
Canned Ham Onion Flakes
Spam Sage
Canned Chicken flaked coconut
Vienna Sausages Bouillon both types
Canned Tuna Teriyaki
Chunky beef soup Vinegar
Lemon Juice Soya
Garlic Mustard
tomato paste Ketchup
Sweetener Clarified Butter
Sugar Syrup
Powdered Milk Egg Substitute
Gatorade Recipes
Coffee Aluminum Foil
Tea
------------------------------------------------------

fraserdw
03-21-2013, 06:13 AM
There is a lot of portaging once you get off the big rivers, mostly I go where time and interest allow me without a firm plan. Sometimes you are paddling along and you see the mouth of a creek or a small lake through the trees and I just got to go there......

Ken
03-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Good to hear Patrick!...one of these days I hope you make it out here to see the 'why?' in it all.

It's gonna be a few months before I can test it, but there are a couple of other fellas that can strap it on and start the R&D.

Sawtooth
03-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Looks like your packing list might be a good one for burro packing too. Are you listening, gonehuntn? :) You sure can haul a lot more gear and live more comfortably when it's not on your back all the time!

Ralph
03-21-2013, 11:17 AM
For those who do not know the way of the canoe or why we love it Sig Olsen said:

"The movement of a canoe is like a reed in the wind. Silence is part of it, and the sounds of lapping water, bird songs, and wind in the trees. It is part of the medium through which it floats, the sky, the water, the shores….There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace. The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten. It is an antidote to insecurity, the open door to waterways of ages past, and a way of life with profound and abiding satisfactions. When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes have ever known." – Sigurd Olson from The Singing Wilderness

If you haven't read any of Sig's books they are still in print and well worth the reading.

Ken and I as well as several other members live in or near the Adirondacks, a tangle of streams, rivers, ponds and lakes so the canoe is truly the path to the wilderness. There are over 1200 named bodies of water here and innumerable un-named ponds, creeks and streams. I dare say if you paddled all summer, every summer, that you would not see them all in a lifetime.

Now that I am old and gray and a bit creaky in the joints virtually all of my outdoor time is spent in a canoe with routes calculated to portage as little as possible. Bill Mason, another great canoer, once remarked that anyone claiming to enjoy portaging is either stupid or crazy and I tend to agree, despite my current canoe, really an open kayak, that folds and weighs 11 lbs. As an airplne belongs in the air, a canoe belongs in the water so I try to keep it that way as often as possible.

fraserdw
03-21-2013, 11:17 AM
The one thing I do recommend is the Crusader Cooking System rather than the old USGI Canteen system. With the pouch it is amazing cook set on it's own. The pouch has pockets inside to hold water tabs, fuel gel, KFS and matches. Great kit for out and about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKR5xEappxk

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89362

Robbie
03-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Good to hear Patrick!...one of these days I hope you make it out here to see the 'why?' in it all.

It's gonna be a few months before I can test it, but there are a couple of other fellas that can strap it on and start the R&D.

Another shiney thing? I've got homemade pads on my carry thawart of my 17 Penobscot. I took french for a year in HS the teacher gave me a 70 for the year if I promised not to take the language again I was that good. I believe portage is a french word for carring heavy stuff on a crappy trail usually uphill. the hardest part of a canoe race I do every year are the 2 portages. Cool post.

fraserdw
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Actually, it would be nice to see KIFARU modernize the canoe Duluth Bag! Keep the Tumpline but maybe add MOLLE and a gun bearer?

Ken
03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes Robbie, a shiny thing for the French word...

Ralph
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
All of the canoe packs I make have PALS grids.

11898 11897

Robbie
03-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Yes Robbie, a shiny thing for the French word...
I musta been a bit dizzy,otherwise engaged when/if this was discussed at the ECR!!!

Ken
03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Nope your good...we discussed it at my house....you didn't miss a thing.

Tim in Washington
03-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm liking the canoe talk.I have to make it a point to get more use out of mine this summer.
Tim

Sawtooth
03-21-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm jealous. We don't have enough water (snow) here to grow a single blade of grass. I'm having reading this thread. I used to spend some time kayaking really small rivers in the Ozarks on multiple-day trips. Good stuff.

fraserdw
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Tim

If I was up your way, I would never be out of my canoe, that state must have miles of inter-connecting rivers and lakes!

Tim in Washington
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Not as many good canoe areas as you might think around here mostly sea kayaking on the Sound.Lots of fun but not quite the same as canoeing in the Boundary Waters or in the Adirondacks

Pathfinder
03-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Excellent! I am a hiker & kayaker. So I pack ALOT lighter... In my eyes, I see alot of redundancies which could cut portaging trips back and forth in half. But overall, I like it. If it works for you, great. Am jealous of afew items.

bark-eater
03-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I got out for one 4 day canoe trip last year. I couldn't recreate my gear list, but I used a combination of Kifaru and Mountainsmith gear for hauling and organizing everything. On the water gear was in a Mountainsmith Tour pack set up as a thwart bag. and a "Grand Tour" day pack. I used an Omni Yoke with a belt, Grab-it and assorted straps to haul the Camp gear in dry bags. My Solo canoe weighs at least 70 lbs with all the extras, so I double portage. The Omni Yoke is short enough on my back that is dose not interfere with the canoe yoke, so I was able to carry the day and lumbar packs with the canoe. I ended up with three drybags which didn't carry to well on the Omni Yoke. Next time I will take less crap or get two larger drybags that will strap to the yoke better. I had about 70lbs on the yoke and it certainly carried better than a frame less pack would of. I did manage to rip a load lifter strap out, but Im sure there was some operator error involved. My buddy had his own solo canoe, and ended up with the food barrel "T-ed" on top of his pack, but the Omni Yoke and Grab-it made a fine barrel harness on "training" hikes.

bark-eater
03-23-2013, 04:43 PM
I got out for one 4 day canoe trip last year. I couldn't recreate my gear list, but I used a combination of Kifaru and Mountainsmith gear for hauling and organizing everything. On the water gear was in a Mountainsmith Tour pack set up as a thwart bag. and a "Grand Tour" day pack. I used an Omni Yoke with a belt, Grab-it and assorted straps to haul the Camp gear in dry bags. My Solo canoe weighs at least 70 lbs with all the extras, so I double portage. The Omni Yoke is short enough on my back that is dose not interfere with the canoe yoke, so I was able to carry the day and lumbar packs with the canoe. I ended up with three drybags which didn't carry to well on the Omni Yoke. Next time I will take less crap or get two larger drybags that will strap to the yoke better. I had about 70lbs on the yoke and it certainly carried better than a frame less pack would of. I did manage to rip a load lifter strap out, but Im sure there was some operator error involved. My buddy had his own solo canoe, and ended up with the food barrel "T-ed" on top of his pack, but the Omni Yoke and Grab-it made a fine barrel harness on "training" hikes.