PDA

View Full Version : Express for fast packing

11bravo
03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Greetings - new guy here. I'm interested in a small pack for overnight (2 nights max probably) fast packing and the Express looks to me like a good one. I'm new to fast packing and wondered if anyone has any experience running/rucking with this pack? It looks like it has the lumbar and waist belt support I'd want - so many small volume bags fail in that area.

Any other Kifaru bags that would also serve for this application?

Didn't see anywhere else more appropriate to ask this than General Discussion.

Thanks for any help.

walkingxthunder
03-12-2013, 09:28 PM
You might want to look into the Xing, if you can hold off on your purchase for a couple of weeks. Also, if you're trying to go light, the hunting line Spike Camp is the 500d version of the Express.

11bravo
03-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Sorry - what is Xing? Thanks for the tip on the Spike Camp, but I see that they both weigh the same amount.

steveb
03-13-2013, 08:59 PM
The Spike Camp is lighter. The listed weight includes the belt for the Spike but not the Express. You can make it lighter still with the composite stay option. If you want to really minimize the weight, have a look at the KU2200 Ultralight series pack.

Tevo
03-14-2013, 06:00 AM
I have a Molle Express for 2-3 day excursions and love it. I ran with it the other day loaded to 25lbs and it was very, very secure. That said, fast packing generally implies fast ultralight travel...I'm not sure the Express really falls into that category. Honestly, as much as I love Kifaru, I'm not sure any of its offerings are particularly well suited for overnight fast packing if ultralight is the goal. The KU line is, IMO,the best UL gear on the market for carrying a load, but for overnighters they're a bit overkill. Just my two cents.

lawnboi
03-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Iv got the spike camp legacy, it comes in at 3lb 8oz with the UL stays and belt. Very light pack imo for what it is.

Comfortable pack, my only complaint is the relatively small opening of the pack.

I use mine for a day and weekend overnight pack. With a pocket and ul gear ill go a weekend in it without problem.

The thing sticks to your back like there is nothing there, that's what I really like about it. Its got the perfect amount of flex for moving fast and light. Probably the best suspension iv seen in a smaller pack out there, comfort when its light, but again it can handle a 50lb load with relative comfort.

There is no more UL 2200, so your out on that one...

bark-eater
03-14-2013, 08:05 AM
There are some good searchable threads about minimalist backpacking with the Express on this forum. I believe that "Songdog" had a couple pertinent trip reports with gear lists. There's a feller/good writer going by mtwarden, who has a gear list and related posts on "Backpackinglight" describing gear he fits in a Golite "ION". Google is you friend.......

CCH
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
The Express is a nice, small pack that I have used for weekend trips very happily. But it is pretty weighty (particularly for the capacity) to consider a "fast packing" pack, especially if you plan to run it it. I think it fits the niche of a day pack to carry when you might have to carry a heavier load out (meat) better than as an ultralight option.

11bravo
03-15-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks everyone - I'll look into all this. I have done some searching here but didn't see much re: the Express - I'll look for the authors you mentioned. Too bad about the KU2200 - one came up on ebay a week about but the bid went too high for a used pack with holes in it. (For me, anyway.)

Take-a-knee
03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Why would anyone need a four pound pack to "fastpack"? That is like buying a dump truck and putting drifting tires on it. You don't need Kifaru suspension to "fastpack". Granite Gear or Six Moon Designs has what you need, it this is really what you are after. Do you actually have a sub 7-8# base weight already established?

steveb
03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
I use an Osprey Talon 33 for 'fastpacking' type overnights.

11bravo
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Why would anyone need a four pound pack to "fastpack"? That is like buying a dump truck and putting drifting tires on it. You don't need Kifaru suspension to "fastpack". Granite Gear or Six Moon Designs has what you need, it this is really what you are after. Do you actually have a sub 7-8# base weight already established?

Thanks -you're right - I may be in the wrong place. I tend to overdo things where durability is concerned, that's my default. Need to rethink things.