PDA

View Full Version : What ax?

sdnative13
02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
I was wondering what type of ax do you carry for the purpose of splitting wood etc. looking for light weight and rugged. Thank you

jljmonky
02-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Usually a small Fiskars which is a clone to the Gerber hatchets with about a 16-18 inch handle or a 19 inch Wetterlings. This spring I am going to try out the Cols Steel Trail Hawk with both a 16 inch and 22 inch handles. I have used the SOG Fusion Tomahawk and liked it for most tasks, its good and light but no hammer pole.

Pathfinder
02-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Carried a Gerber Pack-Axe, for awhile. Now I carry a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel & a Cold Steel Trail Hawk (along with my Cold Steel Bushman). These tools ALL serve "double duty" or more working options to get any job needed to be done, DONE.

For Smaller work, I have my Izula & my Gerber 600 Multiplier.

Quirt
02-25-2013, 07:30 AM
I carry a smaller Wetterling in the summer their hatchet size 14" and Wetterling 19" in winter. I etched in the handle inches so it doubles as a ruler when quick measurements are needed for the construction of snares etc.

I received a Granfor Bruks Small Forest Axe for Christmas and am very pleased with it!! Whatever weight an axe adds is far out weighted by its return in the wild. I can do most if not all wilderness tasks with an axe that a knife can do!

Pathfinder
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Excellent idea on the etching rule... I have some small brass tack nails, I may put them in my handle of my Trail Hawk at 1" increments!!!

Thanks Quirt!!!! Great idea!

mckrob
02-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Granfors Bruks Small Forest Axe, pricey but worth every penny!

sdnative13
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
what are you guys using as a sharpener in the field for both ax and knife?

jljmonky
02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
I carry a small whet stone, a Gerber sharpening steel and a small triangle file.

Tim in Washington
03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
just got a G B Small Forest Axe and it is far and away my new favorite
Tim

Take-a-knee
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Just got a Cold Steel Trailhawk.

Sawtooth
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice choice!

Pathfinder
03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Just got a Cold Steel Trailhawk.

That is what I picked up. I have stripped and patina'd the head & sanded the handle and put brass carpet tacks every inch up the handle & am going to stain it darker. Might cut it down to about 18" though... Not sure.

Take-a-knee
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
That is what I picked up. I have stripped and patina'd the head & sanded the handle and put brass carpet tacks every inch up the handle & am going to stain it darker. Might cut it down to about 18" though... Not sure.

Haven't done anything to mine yet. I'm going to cut the handle, not sure but I may go as short as 16in. I did order a kydex sheath off of fleabay. I have to add a retention strap to it, as it did not come with one.

Sawtooth
03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
The kydex sheath won't stay on without a strap? I was hoping the one I'm ordering will stay on with friction like most kydex sheaths and holsters do. I have the same hawk.

flamingo 7
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
The Hill Brothers made a kydex sheath for my trail hawk that works just fine without a retention strap.

Pathfinder
03-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Pics and contact info for them please??

Take-a-knee
03-13-2013, 01:03 PM
The kydex sheath won't stay on without a strap? I was hoping the one I'm ordering will stay on with friction like most kydex sheaths and holsters do. I have the same hawk.

It might, but I'm paranoid.

widowshooter
03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
I was given a Benchmade hatchet as a gift. I have never used it, but it really doesn't look like anything I'd use in the woods. Anyone have one of these and use it?

Awesome
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I carry an Estwing... Solid steel and made in the USA

Pathfinder
03-14-2013, 06:24 AM
I carry an Estwing... Solid steel and made in the USA

And heavy...

Awesome
03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Not by much...

Funny thing about axes, they're a bit like hammers, typically the heavier they are the better they work.

So although u might gain a small amount of weight (barely noticeable) u also gain in its usefulness. Its one of the few packable axes I would trust to chop down a full size tree, Makes log splitting a breeze, and pounds in stakes like a dedicated hammer.

I also have a gerber (aka fiskars).... But it stays home because I like the Estwing so much better.

jljmonky
03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
I have an estwing and want two more... mine is the longer version, I want both shorter sizes... found on amazon that they make a double bit and a hawk now... so really I want 4 more... my pockets are thin enough without good manufacturers coming out with cool new stuff I want.

djumpmonkey
03-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Estwings are heavy. Weight in the head of the ax helps. Weight in the handle is more to hump and swing and to no avail when it comes to actually doing the work. I personally have a SAW10, power in the palm of your hand. For more serious work I picked up a Council Tool Boys Ax. Just enough weight (in the proper place) and just enough handle. Cheap, good, needs a wee bit of edge work, and off you go.

God bless,
Adam

flamingo 7
03-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Pics and contact info for them please??

Pathfinder,
Sorry I just hoticed the request. http://hillpeoplegear.com/Home/tabid/675/Default.aspx
This doesn't have a retention strap but a short piece of cord or bungee is looped over the poll when I cerry it exposed. It stays on well enough that I can drive pegs without it comming off.

Pathfinder
03-17-2013, 06:56 AM

Pathfinder,
Sorry I just hoticed the request. http://hillpeoplegear.com/Home/tabid/675/Default.aspx
This doesn't have a retention strap but a short piece of cord or bungee is looped over the poll when I cerry it exposed. It stays on well enough that I can drive pegs without it comming off.

Very simple set up, I like it! May have to make one myself.

Thanks!

boom
07-05-2013, 10:23 PM
I carry a smaller Wetterling in the summer their hatchet size 14" and Wetterling 19" in winter. I etched in the handle inches so it doubles as a ruler when quick measurements are needed for the construction of snares etc.

I received a Granfor Bruks Small Forest Axe for Christmas and am very pleased with it!! Whatever weight an axe adds is far out weighted by its return in the wild. I can do most if not all wilderness tasks with an axe that a knife can do!

I have the exact same tools as this guy. They are so sharp.

i have three obsessions with tools. knives, flashlights and axes. the axes is my newest fondness. i bought myself a Gransfor Bruk Small forest Axe on a whim when a japanese woodworking store went out of business and blew out everything. what a TOOL! i knew i had a backpacking trip coming up, so i bought a tiny wilderness axe from Wetterlings. both are sharp enough to shave my legs. the Wetterling is not as nice when it comes to fit and finish. but i didnt care..if all goes well, i am gonna chop an elk ribcage off with it. i took it backpacking, and it weights about 1.5lbs. great for hammering tent stakes in the hard ground of the Sierras. i cut up so much firewood with it. no more taking a long stick and burning it down by pushing it in as it burns. i cut trout heads off with a single swoop. (my flock of chickens at home with the forest axe..heads just pop off :)). i chopped so much wood and the edge was still razor sharp. i am anal, so i carry one of those DMT diamond files..the tiny one that folds out to give it quick hones. i did have the sheath fly off and i cut my finger gently. dumb.

here is a pic of the Wetterlings at camp.
you gerber and fiskar guys..do those things come with sheaths? an axe without a sheath is just about useless IMHO.

buy a swedish axe..trust me.

bankay
07-10-2013, 09:39 AM
I make my own Kydex axe bikinis out of scrap that doesn't need an extra strap and can be removed with the same hand holding the axe, no extra fasteners used and it is just double folded Kydex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q6sutCpVdM

If you want the utility of an axe but at less weight, use a small head but with a longer handle. I put a 24" helve on my GB Mini and have since chopped that to 19" long because it actually swung too fast...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/bankayhoodlum/pack/6504F96B-2D77-497F-8FA5-E827ED03F6FE-1514-0000002A4BF5D632_zps789f9d36.jpg

Steelworker
07-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I have several Wetterling and Granfors Bruk axes, from feiing and limbing down to their smallest axes. The Granfors Bruk models have better finished handles, but in truth, I don't think there's a bit of difference in performance. The Wetterling's are quite a bit less expensive, so I'd probably recommend them. I've used Cold Steel, Sears, and Estwing, and they are not in the same league as the Granfors Bruk and Wetterlings, so I gave them away.

If you live where there are a lot of soft wood trees, I'd get the smallest hatchet that either Wetterling or Granfors Bruk sells. However, where hard woods predominate, such as here in southern Indiana, I need to move up to the large axes to get the job done. Not easy to pack, but very efficient. I've also found a lightweight bow saw to do as well for most situations, sometimes better. It's lighter than even our smallest hatchet. The Gerber Exchange-A-Blade folding saws work fairly well and weigh less, but I've found them to be a bit fragile under hard use. When they go, they can't be repaired, at least not when one of mine went a few weeks ago. I have two more here, but believe after using both the Gerber and a cheap bow saw, that the bow saw is far more dependable. I know you asked about axes, but a good, lightweight bow saw will serve you as well as an axe in many (not all) situations. Truthfully, being a glutton for punishment, I'd be tempted to take both, because I'm obsessive about wanting what works to be with me, and the weight penalty for a bow saw isn't much. (no one ever accused me of being bright! :-) )

Ralph
07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
The G-B Mini is so compact and light that I have it with me most of the time. In mild weather it is about all I need.

My truck axe is an old LL Bean Modified Hudson Bay, 2 lb. head, 25" handle. This often goes in the canoe, too. For general use I am most comfortable with a 28" handle, so will likely get a Boy's axe to use as a truck axe. When I was younger and heated with wood I had several heavier axes, both single and double bit. These weren't being used lately so I sold them and am a bit sorry I did (that happens a lot).

I also generally carry a saw. A light one with Japanese-style teeth or a 15" SawVivor. The saw is easier to use when cutting stove wood to length. The SawVivor has Swedish Bushman blades that cut in both directions.

jljmonky
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I have been finding used heads lately and refinishing them. I acquired a council tools 2 1/4 lb head and had a gorgeous leather sheath and strap made that goes with my bunker gear at the fire dept. I have a 19 inch Wetterlings and a Fiskars. The Gerber I used to have had a sheath, I still to this day have no clue where that one landed but I somehow have the sheath and it fits the fiskars nicely, I really enjoy using the fiskars and for the money I believe it is the beat buy. I also have a trail hawk but haven't gotten to use it much and as mentioned earlier the Estwing. I have also refurbed one plumb boys axe and it is getting sheathed and another plumb BSA hatchet that needs cleaned up and sheathed... there is one axe I am extremely fond of but it is not for woods use it is about a 5 lb head that is hammer forged and hammer welded. I bought it out of an estate sale for about $3 in Virginia. No telling how old it is but I have cleaned it up and helved it and used it... and love it! Just too big to tote into the woods.

Echo63
07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
I quite like the Fiskars axes, they are reasonably priced, perform pretty well and are almost unbreakable
they are also fairly lightweight (compared to similar sized stuff at the hardware store - i am sure there is better lightweight axes out there)
I have an older hatchet (similar too X7) and an X15
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Echo63/IMG_1468.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Echo63/media/IMG_1468.jpg.html)
I would love a Gransfors Bruks, but dont use an axe often enough to justify buying one (other than the pride in owning a high quality tool) I also use my axe in a manner that i would not subject a GB too - i recently used my X15 to chop/dig the roots out of a tree i removed from the front yard, it scratched a lot of the coating off the head, and significantly blunted the blade (it sharpened up nicely though)

heres what the head of my X15 looks like now (i may have overdone the sharpening, it will shave now) note the reflection in the bevel - it only took maybe 45 mins to get that finish - and would easily shave after 20 mins, and thats from very blunt, a touch up takes 5 mins
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Echo63/IMG_1488.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/Echo63/media/IMG_1488.jpg.html)

they really need a decent head cover though, i have cut down the supplied covers, which are really only useful for hanging in the shop or shed
there is a guy making kydex for them, which i would purchase before i took them backpacking (the X15 lives in the car, for removing fallen trees from trails)

mad_angler
07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
One tip... Make sure to buy your Fiskars axes at Home Depot or someplace similar.

If you buy a Gerber ax, you will pay about twice as much for the same ax. Gerbers even have the Fiskars name in the head.

Blades
07-17-2013, 07:05 PM
If you're looking for something lightweight, and dual purpose:
http://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/RjA0ODBCNzhCRENCRTM5MzlENTY6ZTgzOGZkMDYzMzBhYTE2ND NjNGFlMjBkYzFmNjdkYzE=

Uluhawk from Wilmont Knives.

Steelworker
07-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Cut down a creeping myrtle tree in our front yard today. It was about 6"-7" in diameter. This is a strange tree, in that it forms a canopy of intertwined long limbs that extend down to nearly the ground, making sawing and chopping a bit difficult. I tried the bow saw, but after nearly giving myself a heart attack, I switched over the a Wetterling felling axe and it made quick work of what appeared to be soft wood. A 4 foot rat snake came crawling out the branches after the tree was down, so I moved it to a tulip tree and it seemed to like exploring its new hunting grounds. Getting the limbs cut up was a real chore, requiring both axe and saw and lots of perspiration. It was hot and very humid today, so that didn't help matters. When I got done, I came to the conclusion that the best axe to have is a chain saw! :-)

boom
08-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Cut down a creeping myrtle tree in our front yard today. It was about 6"-7" in diameter. This is a strange tree, in that it forms a canopy of intertwined long limbs that extend down to nearly the ground, making sawing and chopping a bit difficult. I tried the bow saw, but after nearly giving myself a heart attack, I switched over the a Wetterling felling axe and it made quick work of what appeared to be soft wood. A 4 foot rat snake came crawling out the branches after the tree was down, so I moved it to a tulip tree and it seemed to like exploring its new hunting grounds. Getting the limbs cut up was a real chore, requiring both axe and saw and lots of perspiration. It was hot and very humid today, so that didn't help matters. When I got done, I came to the conclusion that the best axe to have is a chain saw! :-)

^^^you badass!! i love all things that turn big pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood. i admit, i have disturbed the quiet beauty of many campsites with the 2-stroke buzz of a chainsaw. if i have a truck..my chainsaw is with me at camp.

Jon S
09-04-2013, 07:54 PM
I know many love the cold steel trail hawk, they are on sale right now from Knife Hog for $24.71
Here is the link
http://knifehog.com/p-2474-cold-steel-trail-hawk-tomahawk-90th.aspx