PDA

View Full Version : Durability of 500D

wetzel
02-21-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm just wanting to get every bodies opinion on the 500 d fabric? The reason why I ask is I am having some serious trust issues. I have a Late Season Legacy that I love and carry to work a few times a week with some barbell plates in it. I would say I take very good care of my gear. I wrap the plates in towels or packing blankets as I understand that something as heavy and dense as a steel plate can cause problems in a hurry when it comes in contact with a hard surface. Anyway I noticed the other day that I had a small hole in the side and it's driving me crazy. If I had dropped the sucker or something I would understand, but I haven't. I am very careful and seeing that I have a hole with no hard abuse makes me feel sick inside. Can you guys tell me your experiences with this fabric? I'm hoping for some reassurance as I've had thoughts of selling it and buying a pointman to have the heavier fabric. I also just placed an order for a MMR bag to go on my duplex frame. It is a few pounds heavier than a DT2 but I just don't trust the lighter fabric at this point, maybe I'm too paranoid.

Ralph
02-21-2013, 09:49 PM
500d is half the weight and roughly half the thickness of 1000d Cordura. It is durble and abrasion resistant but not to the degree of the heavier fabric. This should not surprise anyone.

It seems, though, that many folks who have trouble with the lighter material and seams popping are lugging, for whatever reason, barbells, elevator weights, barbell plates and other dense, hard material that packs are really not designed to accomodate. Wrapping this stuff with towels or whatever does not really reduce the wear and tear. If you must lug extra weight a canvas sandbag or two is probably the better choice since that more closely duplicates the usual gear that packs are expected to carry.

On the other hand, it's your gear. If you want to wear it out with a bunch of iron go ahead.

Benny BC
02-22-2013, 12:30 AM
I think weights mimic ammunition & weapons closer than a sandbag would, though the Late Season is a hunting pack, not tactical.

My personal experience with 500D: I had soft sleeping kit in lower compartment & canteens in canteen pouches, both pouches used as intended. On a one weekend trip up rocky mountains there were small holes in both areas. Nothing catastrophic by any means but still unsatisfactory in my opinion. I did not contact rock unnecessarily & didn't drag the pack over rock either.

I like 500D but only on lighter use/smaller packs.

mountaintrek
02-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Wetzel,
the 500D is fine. Used to lug heavy cases all over and the fabric can take it. ( My ancient LH bag is fine. ) By cases I mean- large metal ones with reinforced edges and heavy ! Unless you plan on going to war and throw ammo cans, mortar tripods etc in the bag I would not worry. Sharp edge will poke a hole in the fabric. Had this happen to both 1000D & 500D.

Now that your LS is basically trashed I'll take it off your hands. 20 cents on the dollar seems right ?

m

no limits
02-23-2013, 07:28 AM
I was looking at the highcamp bag which is 500d I'm going to be carrying 60 to 80lbs in this bag anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks at a time I don't want a hole coming through it with a couple of uses I don't buy things to sit in the corner and look good I use it for what it is intended for hiking up and down the mountain and sometimes through some thick stuff I'm sure should I have some concern about durability? and what would kifaru do in the event that something like this would happen I would hope that their bags are made of high quality material and stand behind their product I don't mind paying top dollar for a good product but in turn I want to be able to use it for years

wetzel
02-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Now that your LS is basically trashed I'll take it off you hands. 20 cents on the dollar seems right ?

m

MountainTrek, I hate your guts:)

Ralph, The sand bag idea makes sense, I wonder how heavy I can get one and still have room in the pack for other stuff such as computer, lunch, books, and such for work?

I think Benny might also be onto something. Use the lighter fabric for hunting, camping and such, while using something else to abuse with training.

WYOelkHunter
02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I am not worried about the 500d,,, If Aaron hasn't wore it out yet I am sure I will not.