PDA

View Full Version : Piggybacking

FrankS
08-27-2002, 03:57 AM
I recently got the gear bug and I was interested in how piggyback system work.

Mainly how does the waist belt on the Scout attach to the waist belt on the EMR? can belt attachment system be use with any other kind of belt or only with the EMR belt?

Will the Pointman be able to piggyback on an EMR like the Scout? What about a Scout on a Pointman?

The reason I ask is that it would be pretty cool if you could piggyback a Pointman or Scout on an LBV or TT Modular vest by attaching it to the existing web belt but still be able to dump it easily.

Frank

Mel
08-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Frank:

There is an adaptor kit that connects to the front of the EMR waistbelt, and the Scout waistbelt connects to the adaptor. The Pointman will be able to mount on the EMR, and the Scout will mount on the Pointman (not all at once!). The Scout or the Pointman will not be able to mount on any other pack, except the EMR, or to each other.

You do not want to use a web belt with your vest or chestrig if you're using the Scout or Pointman. The reason being that the web belt takes up the space needed for a proper fit of the Scout and Pointman's waistbelt.

Mel

NavyBuck
09-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Mel -

Will the Pointman be able to piggy back to the "pack with no name". I think that combo would be great.

eggroll
09-11-2002, 02:13 PM
I believe that there are plans to PB the Scout to the PWNN, but I am not certain to this.

or conversely, PB'in the pointman to the EMR, I do not know if the design lends itself to that. That is something the PAtrick can speak to directly.

personally, any bigger attachment to the EMR will throw the balance off. but then thats just me.

eggo

Patrick
09-11-2002, 06:58 PM
NavyBuck--

Both the Scout and the Pointman will piggyback onto the PWNN. Very useful, I think.

I'm getting so used to seeing that PWNN I wonder if we should enter it officially in Mel's name-that-pack game?

Patrick

NavyBuck
09-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Patrick - when can I order both?

Egg - In an earlier thread, you indicated that the balance of the EMR would be thrown off. It isn't clear to me that you were referring to my post, but if so did you mean the PWNN rather then the EMR? What I had in mind was using the Pointman as a 3 day/assault pack, but having the capability to slap that bad boy onto the PWNN for longer missions.

Patrick
09-11-2002, 09:17 PM
NavyBuck--

The Pointman is under the sewing machine needle as we speak. I'm laying down the PALS webbing pattern on the PWNN while Janice is doing that (from the "platform" in-the-black prototype that survived and triumphed as the Tester model). Then we'll build the OD specifically-Military model of the PWNN. THEN we'll price them both out, and announce them here on the website. The Pointman may come first as it's somewhat ahead of the PWNN presently (you can thank drtywrk for that, primarily, as he's been having a hissy for news on that one. Except that lately he's interested in the PWNN too!)

Anyhow, things are coming together well, after many, many iterations of the PWNN's suspension system, which is a never-been-done deal that nearly drove me nuts (I know, not very far to go there) while it was a-borning. Thanks to all for your patience and for your interest.

Today, of course, is the Anniversary of the Atrocities. While it's a good thing to remember, and to honor, our fallen, my primary emotion regarding those events was initially, is now, and always will be ANGER. That and determination. Determination to erase the scum whose manner of "war" is to focus on non-combatants. I hope, and pray, to be able to help. God bless the United States of America!

Patrick

eggroll
09-12-2002, 10:53 AM
to clarify my earlier post,

I feel that additional weight borne by a pointman when mated to an EMR will throw the balance off, but this is speaking from my own experience in that I do not like to have weight so far out from my CG whenever I go out. granted you will have the ability to mate up the PM to both the EMR and PWNN (thanks pat) Unless you are in the situation that demands its use (out in Injun country for long duration) I personally feel that this would be way much load to be carrying. The hipbelt is the MAIN loadbearing structure of the Kifaru system, only you know what your limits are, but when you start packing a PM on top of an EMR, you WILL notice it.

If you want to mate up a PM to an EMR - go ahead and do so, you may have that need, however if you do not have the need to do so, that extra volume in load ability should not be used all the time. Also keep in mind that having the volume does not mean having to use that volume.

No I will not be using this in a mil/combat role - but not to detract from others form doing this, this is solely my own opinion and does not at all represent Kifaru or its packs - they are well an capable of handling any conceivable man-portable load you could throw at it.

eggroll
09-12-2002, 10:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Patrick:
NavyBuck--

Both the Scout and the Pointman will piggyback onto the PWNN. Very useful, I think.

I'm getting so used to seeing that PWNN I wonder if we should enter it officially in Mel's name-that-pack game?

Patrick</div></div>So does that mean that I get credit for the PWNN acronym and all :-))))) do I win do I win :-000 )

heheheheh
Egg D. Roll

NavyBuck
09-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Egg and Patrick - Thank you both.

To be clear, I did not mean to imply that the PWNN and Pointman were to be mated on a more or less regular basis. I would anticipate using the Pointman as the "everyday" pack, switching to the PWNN when indicated. In those rare situations where "enough is not enough", the capability of mating the two is attractive (certainly so when compard to buying an additional ruck - the EMR)

Actually, after playing with these I will probably send them on to one or both of my sons (active duty Marine and activated Air Guard security forces).

Patrick
09-12-2002, 01:32 PM
To all--

(But first an aside to egg--if PWNN "wins", then you will "win" whatever it is you're supposed to win...I can't even remember what that is...perhaps the accolades of our collegues?).

Whenever I have used another pack in piggyback mode it has been in the role of either: a) additional capacity, or b) as a "boogie pack" (I imagine y'all know what I mean). If a), I will put bulky-but-light things in the outside pack--things like sleeping bags, extra clothing and so forth, which keeps the pull-back factor from being noticeable. If b), then no problem, just disconnect the outside pack, which is essentially "empty", stuff in whatever your boogie mission defines and scoot.

Hope this clarifies things. Basically, the big pack/little pack scenario makes all kinds of sense, and DOES work quite well with a bit of planning. Of course, in combat scenarios it also makes much sense to load the outside pack exactly as you wish for immediate E and E, and then just hump the whole tamale! Priorities, ya know. Just know that the host pack (the bigger one), if it's a Kifaru, will be comfortable. You'll just have to assume the old forward lean position--nothing we can do about that.

Patrick