PDA

View Full Version : A young Mr.Smith

JL
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Cool picture of Patrick years ago with what looks like a Mountainsmith shelter. How bout some info Patrick?? Thanks

Jim

Bushcraft
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice pic! New enough for the calculator watch and maybe a rubber band or two, but old enough to pre-date the wedding band tattoo!

Looks like a forebearer to the ParaTipi in the background. Hawaii by the looks of it...

elmbow
02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
That looks like the pic that was on the front overleaf of the owners manual for my Crestone II that I bought new in 1995 IIRC.
Patrick's lumbar packs were light years ahead of the competition, and the adjustment system for his large packs was too.

wolfmen
02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Cool pic!!!

Patrick
02-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Jim, where on earth did you find this pic?

I believe the year was around 1990. The location is very high on the south slope of Mount Haleakala on Mauii. Elevation around ten thousand feet. The southern slopes of Haleakala are "watered" by persistent clouds of mist--which are downright cold. Hence the very early ParaTipi prototype with stove. (Bushcraft, you'd make a pretty good detective!) As you can see I ran the early prototypes with stove at front...final version has the stove in center, much better location.

I was solo backpacking, hunting goats. (6.5 Remington Magnum not in picture.) I have cruised southern Haleakala very high, as this scene attests, as well as very low--sea level as a matter of fact. There is nobody there! Very remote parts of Hawaii. Suits me perfectly.

JL
02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Mountainsmith came out with a new floorless shelter for 2013. It was one of the pictures used to advertise it on Amzon.com

Bushcraft
02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Mountain-Shelter-Golden-Yellow/dp/B009408338/ref=sr_1_120?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1360173820&sr=1-120&keywords=mountainsmith

snakey2
02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh to be young again. Glad you are still going Patrick.

MojoSlim
02-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Jim, where on earth did you find this pic?

I believe the year was around 1990. The location is very high on the south slope of Mount Haleakala on Mauii. Elevation around ten thousand feet. The southern slopes of Haleakala are "watered" by persistent clouds of mist--which are downright cold. Hence the very early ParaTipi prototype with stove. (Bushcraft, you'd make a pretty good detective!) As you can see I ran the early prototypes with stove at front...final version has the stove in center, much better location.

I was solo backpacking, hunting goats. (6.5 Remington Magnum not in picture.) I have cruised southern Haleakala very high, as this scene attests, as well as very low--sea level as a matter of fact. There is nobody there! Very remote parts of Hawaii. Suits me perfectly.

Kahikinui Reserve, or more west? Kahikinui was what the ancient Tahitians who sailed to Hawaii called Maui; lit. 'Large Tahiti'. Must've been pretty good cartographers, as to discern the similarity in shape of Maui and Tahiti (Tahiti looks like a small upside down Maui, or vice versa) at sea level and from the mountains. A lot of that south area used to be lush and green, but the ecosystem got screwed up after all the bomb testings on Kaho'olawe.

Aside from a few areas close to public access, it is quite remote. Lots of Mana up there (spiritual power). The thought of falling down a lava tube is always in the back of my head out there. Next time I'm back home, I want to hike up from my aunt's house in Kaupo (SE slope), to Paliku Cabin in Haleakala crater. Then, Hike the crater from Paliku to Halemau'u switchbacks up to Hosmer's grove (near summit), and hike out from Hosmer's to Polipoli (SW slope). Never seem to find the time to get as much hiking in as I want.

Really cool to see the history of Mountainsmith travels through Maui, where I was born and raised.

Patrick, you must have a similar picture from a recent trip with a Kifaru shelter and gear to that area?

Ermine
02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Really neat picture!!

Patrick
02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Mojo, I think my trek was before any "Reserve". I remember getting directions from the gun/hunting shop in Kahului. Had to rent a Jeep just to get to the walking place. I packed from west to east, quite a ways. The terrain became rocky moonscape--you know what it's like. A few years ago I tried to find the place where I began this hunting backpack trip, and encountered locked off gates with signage that I can't remember but that indicated I couldn't enter. Too bad, not all change is "progress" to my way of thinking.

I'll see if I can find some pix of my sea level traverse of the entire southeast coast. It began at La Perouse Bay and followed the old Kings Highway (Footpath) for a little ways and then the "highway" petered out and the walking became a bushwhack over the gnarlyest of volcanic rock. I camped on the beach. Wound up way east at Koki Beach Park. Quite a walk. I wrecked a pair of carbon fiber trekking poles, and dang near ran out of water. I'd bet money nobody has ever done that traverse. And that's what drew me to these southside Maui deserts--the irony of extreme remoteness and hard backpacking on an island famed for froo-froo beaches and lush rain forest. That, and the incredible beauty of what I call Maui's Outback.

MojoSlim
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Mojo, I think my trek was before any "Reserve". I remember getting directions from the gun/hunting shop in Kahului.

I'm guessing that was Hahn Sports, in the Kaahumanu shopping center by the date of the picture? Sadly, there hasn't been a good gun/hunting shop since they closed down. There are some small places in the industrial areas in Wailuku, but I miss the days on Maui when you could see a gentleman walking through the mall with a new rifle he just bought at Hahn Sports with no sense of "freaking out" from others.

I'd love to do that Ali'i Alanui trail, sounds intense with all that ancient a'a lava flow there. Dang Patrick, not many people can say that they walked from Makena to Hana along the shore (if any) besides you. That's awesome!