PDA

View Full Version : A Woobie Question

ron finkbeiner
01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Sorry if I am showing my ignorance but, I have an honest question. I am a truck driver and there are times I like to pull over a take a nap but I don't want to crawl under my blankets(as lazy as that sounds it's true!) my question is this. Are the Woobies soft to sleep with? I know it sounds silly but I was just wondering. Thanks

msyms
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes, woobies are made from baby unicorns and are very soft.

ron finkbeiner
01-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Yes, woobies are made from baby unicorns and are very soft.

Thanks for that. And because of that I just bought 2 from tactical tailor. That was the kind of answer I expected from here.

msyms
01-21-2013, 10:27 PM
TT "woobies" aren't actually woobies, they're made from PT hat material. Still going to be soft though.

ron finkbeiner
01-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Kifaru's are expensive and before I drop that kind of money I just wanted to know if they were comfortable. I wanted durability and this company is legendary for that but I want comfort too. I have never owned a kifaru pack. Perhaps, when the Xing arrives, it will be my first pack purchase. The one I use now is a T.T. 3dap+ ands its been a great bag for my trucking adventures. I have drooled over Kifaru for several years and maybe now is a good time to see if its all its cracked up to be.

jljmonky
01-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Ron, the woobie is soft, its not fleece and would be compared to like a sleeping bag type nylon. My kids love curling up in one if that helps at all.

rhunter424
01-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Thanks for that. And because of that I just bought 2 from tactical tailor. That was the kind of answer I expected from here.
The standard "poncho liners" and Kifaru's woobie feel (as in texture) about the same as any other synthetic sleeping bag/jacket as far as I'm concerned.

However, a Kifaru woobie will keep you much warmer, compact much more, and is lighter than your standard poncho liner.

I've certainly never lost any Z's from my woobie not being soft like fleece. If you're truly cold in your truck, I doubt you will either.

I feel like this was a loaded question...

ron finkbeiner
01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I assure you it wasn't inteneded as a "loaded question". Fleece is a known quantity to me but the other is not.

ron finkbeiner
01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't get that cold but, it would be nice to have something nice like that.

Delkancott
01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
As others have mentioned, the woobie isn't "soft" like my wife would describe soft, but it's not harsh at all. I actually enjoy the texture, although it can be a bit slippery at times. Something the woobie certainly is though is my one of my top five favorite pieces of kit, all time. It's a great blanket, well worth the $137. Having owned it for a while now I can say I would have been happy paying even more than that for one.

floranama
01-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Sorry if I am showing my ignorance but, I have an honest question. I am a truck driver and there are times I like to pull over a take a nap but I don't want to crawl under my blankets(as lazy as that sounds it's true!) my question is this. Are the Woobies soft to sleep with? I know it sounds silly but I was just wondering. Thanks

If you truely want to be lazy, Hill People Gear's Mountain Serape or Wobbie Express can be worn like a traditional poncho. Plenty warm and "soft." My kids/wife have the traditional Kifaru Woobies and I have the Serape. I like the Serape more because of the hood and I tend to sit more outside than my family.

ny700
01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
i dont think you can really compare the TT woobie and the kifaru woobie. they are two very different pieces and the price reflects it. the TT piece is just a large fleece blanket. good quality fleece but certainly not the.R value.our compressability of the the kifaru. but for $24 bucks the TT is probably a great choice to knock back the chill in the cab of your truck. the kifaru woobie is what i would want if you got stranded in your truck for a while somewhere cold

robcollins
01-22-2013, 02:25 PM
As others have mentioned, the woobie isn't "soft" like my wife would describe soft, but it's not harsh at all. I actually enjoy the texture, although it can be a bit slippery at times. Something the woobie certainly is though is my one of my top five favorite pieces of kit, all time. It's a great blanket, well worth the $137. Having owned it for a while now I can say I would have been happy paying even more than that for one.

Slippery. So light and slippery that my wife stealthily snags it and pulls it over on her side of the bed and I don't notice. She loves it, which annoys me. If I ever get the boot to the couch (kids sneaking into bed) it's my preferred tool in addition to summer hammock quilt and winter sleeping bag supplement.

ron finkbeiner
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Slippery. So light and slippery that my wife stealthily snags it and pulls it over on her side of the bed and I don't notice. She loves it, which annoys me. If I ever get the boot to the couch (kids sneaking into bed) it's my preferred tool in addition to summer hammock quilt and winter sleeping bag supplement.
Lol! Thats funny right there! I just wished I lived up in CO. so I could feel the material in person. I have always been that way. I am 6 ft 5 inches and I am a chubby dude I am liking all that you all have said and I apologize for getfing pissy at first.

wetzel
01-26-2013, 07:44 AM
When talking about the woobie, it's not soft like fleece but smooth like silk. It is warm and super comfortable to wrap up in. My kids all have standard poncho liner woobies from the surplus but if given the chance they will steal my Kifaru Woobie every time. I was really hesitant to drop that kind of money to begin with, but would never sell my woobie now (I've had several offers). I use it for all kinds of things, but in answer to your question of how tough it is. I use mine hunting. At night it is in my sleeping bag usually at the bottom unless really cold to keep my toes warm (my feet get cold easy). When I wake up however many hours before daylight it goes in my pack and comes out when I am sitting somewhere. has been two years of use and abuse and still looks brand new. My wife is a notorious cheapskate, and even she would never part with the woobie and feels it is worth the price we paid. I just can't say enough good about it. I have priced out some of the high tech material out there to make my own woobie (though not the same as Kifaru uses) and it would cost around 90 dollars, so it's not like they are ripping somebody off.

ron finkbeiner
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
I guess I will end up getting one then.

robcollins
02-06-2013, 08:33 PM
I guess I will end up getting one then.

Love mine. My dog, who is pretty adept at finding the most comfortable place, arranging pillows & everything, also approves, but isn't allowed.

testedone
02-13-2013, 06:38 AM
I don't leave home without my woobie...

neiladel
02-13-2013, 08:05 AM
I just received my Kifaru Woobie about 1 and a half weeks ago. The wife discovered it and at this rate I will have to order another one. It definitely warms me up faster than most blankets and is compresses into a compact package you can bring anywhere. Awesome to bring to football games as well.