PDA

View Full Version : 2013 ecr

Ken
12-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Merry Christmas to all of you out there in Kifaru land!...I hope the season finds you all in good health and much happiness.

It getting near that time of year again for us to start planning our winter ritual, locally referred to by all camp Muga Pines inhabitants as....Tipi Fest!

This year, we have to have a slight date modification at the request of the grand poobah, so we are looking at the FIRST weekend in Feb instead of the weekend immediately preceding Valentines. Dates this year will be Thursday Jan 31 - Sun Feb 3.

Mark your calendars, pack your bags and we will see you all in few weeks!

Robbie
12-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Day oh Merry Christmas

Ken
12-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Big grin....

Treebeard
12-22-2012, 11:39 AM
What's an ECR?

PS- Merry Christmas from me and my EMR :)

parko
12-22-2012, 11:42 AM
I picked my son up from a friends. He spent the night there last night. On the way home I asked him if he would be interested in going to the ECR. He said that he was. Fast forward to lunch and here its posted. I wanted to attend the 2012 ECR, but couldn't make it. Looks like we are in for this year, good times!

Parko

Treebeard
12-22-2012, 01:19 PM
This is my EMR. I did a few things to it to make it better suited for me. I hope you like it. I shared it with Mel and Patrick at Mels request.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XQWSlALNJI&feature=player_embedded

Matt M
12-22-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm in and can't wait!!! Hopefully the road is in good enough condition to drive my truck because no one is going to want to pack in all the ammo and venison hot dogs I've got for this year. http://forums.bowhunting.com/images/smilies/barmy.gif

Herb
12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Hhmmmm, checking my schedule.....those Eastern fellas are a great time!!

larryschwartz
12-22-2012, 09:55 PM
treebeard,

ECR stands for East Coast Rendezvous. It is a winter camping weekend in upstate New York state with Kifaru gear users.

Larry

Treebeard
12-22-2012, 10:43 PM
treebeard,

ECR stands for East Coast Rendezvous. It is a winter camping weekend in upstate New York state with Kifaru gear users.

Larry

Cool. Do you guys backpack in, or is it just car camping?

larryschwartz
12-23-2012, 12:30 AM
From what I have seen on the threads from past years ECRs there isn't anything motorized about it. They backpack/walk in. Often there is snow on the ground and people will use pulks/sleds to bring in the extra gear they need (food, clothes, etc.) for the cold weather. Don't forget we are talking New York state in February.

Andy_in_NH
12-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Cool. Do you guys backpack in, or is it just car camping?

In good snow years it's a 1.5 mile trek in to the camp.

People have hiked, used skis or snowshoes, four-wheeled, or used a snow-machine to cover the distance.

Some people sleep in the camp, others out in the tipis.

Many attendees spend 1-3 nights, and some only visit for the day.

You can choose to be as leisurely or hard-core as you like!

Here are some of the after-action / picture threads from past East Coast Rendezvous to give you a better idea of what goes on.

ECR 2007 (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?9185-ECR-07-Reports&highlight=ecr+2007)

ECR 2008 (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?12441-ECR-08-recap....)

ECR 2009 (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?16349-Ecr-2009)

ECR 2010 (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?20746-2010-ECR-recap.)

ECR 2011

(http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=24710)ECR 2012 (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=28367&p=280311#post280311)

Treebeard
12-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Wow looks like you guys had a great time, and it has obviously been going on for several years :)

Ken
12-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Sorry about the mystery fellas...should have been more clear. Anyone who needs directions to the shindig, drop me a PM and I'll get them right out to ya...

Canadian Guy
01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds great, I'll be there. PM sent to you Ken.

Robbie
01-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Worked all night on a little bit of RUM.

Ralph
01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I'll try to make it, too.

Ken
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I hope you can make it Ralph...there will be some loggers in there working this year so we might get a break with the road....not going to promise anyone anything at this point but don't be surprised if it is a drive in affair this year....

Dave R.
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Will be there...........Dave, Susan, 2 dogs.....yeeehhhhhhhawwwwwwww!!! This is a great weekend.....looking forward to meeting the new attendees and tippin' a glass with the alums!

major
01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Past ECR attendees,

How many people actually bring the kids? And what ages of kids are typically at the ECR? I am debating whether the family will enjoy it and that may largely depend on what other kids are there. Can I keep them safely occupied or will it just be dangerous for them with the variety of activities taking place (shootingm drinking, etc.)?

I am not saying it is the most practical thing ever, but I am considering it and wondering who else has either made the same mistake or great decision.

Thanks,
Major

Ralph
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
As I recall, Ken, there were only a few messy spots on the road, with the right equipment it wouldn't take much to tidy it up. Loggers want to go in and out with minimum fuss and delay en-route so they usually do a pretty good job. It's easier to do it right the first time rather than trying to unstick a loaded log truck in mid-travel. It would be nice not to have to run shuttles back and forth.

Ken
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Major- Allthough we have been known to have a little more fun than we probably should have at times, we have yet to lose anyone due to bullet holes and the subsequent loss of blood.

Kids are certainly welcome. My 7 yr old will be there most of the weekend, and my wife will likely have our 2 yr old there Sat. for a while.

Ralph
01-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Major, I've been attending these since they started. This is not a raucus crowd. Kids are looked after with great care by their honorary uncles. They may look a little rugged but they are gentlemen all, in every sense.

major
01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I hope I didn't convey that I thought everyone was planning to drink to excess and start shooting at the moon. :) I just wanted to get a feel for the attitude towards kids at the ECR. I am always pretty sensitive to kids being in places they shouldn't. Particularly at events like this where people will end up feeling some responsibility for the kids since they are there.

I hold most on here in pretty high regard even though I have yet to meet any of you, otherwise bringing my kids would be about the last thing on my mind.

-Major

Dave R.
01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Hi Major...how old are your kids?

major
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Dave,

They are between at 6 to 4 months in increments of 2 years. I am considering bringing the 2 oldest, but my wife is still on the fence if she wants me to bring them without her and the younger 2. The longer I think about it the less inclined I am to bring the full crew. I don't have a heated shelter to house them all and last time i was camping up that way it was well below freezing. If I can manage to bring just the 2 older ones I can keep them nice and snug in the GoLite SL5.

Matt M
01-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Looking forward to it guys, I'm most likely taking off Friday so I can get in there a bit early.

Anyone have a chrono they can bring in? I've got a bunch of handloads that I'd like to see how hot they are......

William Clunie
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Once again, I'm going to have to pass. The VA is going to be performing some medical experiments on me just before the rondy and I don't think it would be wise for me to attend. Normally, I'd crawl through five miles of broken glass and pig manure just to hear "Day-Oh!" Dave Roth call me a filthy Scottish bastard...wish it were so, but not this year.

Ken
01-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear that William. Hopefully the experiments aren't too serious....

William Clunie
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear that William. Hopefully the experiments aren't too serious....

I'm getting a series of three steroid injections to take some pressure off three blown disc in the lower back. Had the first on a while back and it seemed to work for a while. I had two in my shoulder about five years ago and it stopped the problem. Maybe this will do it for my chronic back troubles?

Thanks Ken. See you all next time!
William

Tierce
01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
ALCON,

After using my ZXR overseas for the last few years, I'm excited to be able to bring it to ECR 2013. Looks like I'll be coming in with Andy_in_NH on Friday, probably bringing my new .45. Hope to see you all soon!

Ralph
01-16-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm sorry you won't be there William. It turns out I have an appointment at the VA on Friday (nothing serious, just a pre-exam for getting my hernia corrected) so I won't be able to get there until Saturday.

How's the road looking, Ken?

Ken
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Good so far Ralph...not much snow at the moment. Of course that could change.

Glad to hear of your return Tierce! Looking forward to seeing you again.

billybass
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Anyone have one of those Mega Tarps? Id really like to check it out, maybe we could get Patrick to bring one.

Ken
01-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Plus one on the Mega...

Robbie
01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Plus one on the Mega...
Yup that would be a winner!! Day OOOOOOH

Dave R.
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey William....sorry too that you will be on the table....Tell the doc you don't need pain meds....you are a Scot...He will understand. :) The Highland Pipes played for my Mother last week....She passed on Jan 7....

Best and More to you Will................Dave

Ken
01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave.

William Clunie
01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Hey William....sorry too that you will be on the table....Tell the doc you don't need pain meds....you are a Scot...He will understand. :) The Highland Pipes played for my Mother last week....She passed on Jan 7....

Best and More to you Will................Dave

Dave,
Sorry to hear of your mother's passing. You know she's resting easy in Heaven's Highlands. God Bless you and your family with that comfort in knowing His Grace.
As far as pain meds go...my grandpa Clunie and my father never used pain meds when they had their teeth worked on. After a few visits to the dentist my grandfather said, "If you are going to be pulling one tooth out every time I come here to see you, just yank them all out right now." They pulled them all out without novicaine and gave him a set of dentures.
Me, I'm not so tough.

See you there next year bud.

William

Matt M
01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Starting to get excited, I'm off Friday and will either be in Thursday night or Friday morning.

I think Andy (not sure of his screen name) brought the 100 yard gongs last year, anyone know if they are coming this year too? I spent the weekend rolling up a bunch of handloads and have a couple of new toys to play with, can't wait!

Woods Walker
01-23-2013, 11:15 PM
I should be there. Might take my uncle as well. I will bring the new 4/7 XM-L 2XAA, some other lights and Mora robust.

major
01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Ken,

Whats the snow pack look like? It is going to be hard to walk back to the site without snowshoes?

Major

Andy_in_NH
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I think Andy (not sure of his screen name) brought the 100 yard gongs last year, anyone know if they are coming this year too?

I'll be there Friday evening with the steel targets.

Ken
01-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Current conditions are....very little snow...we will be driving into camp with trucks this year. Everyone plan on bringing nails to stake out the tipis. SST pins will not be necessary.

Ken
01-27-2013, 07:24 AM
I need a head count on how many non 4wd vehicles will be there that I need to make parking for...thanks.

Ralph
01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
I'll have my 2WD S10. It will be nice to drive up there instead of having to bother someone to give me a ride.

major
01-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Will an AWD sedan with snow tires make it down the road to camp? If not then I'll need to park at the trailhead.

billybass
01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
I need a head count on how many non 4wd vehicles will be there that I need to make parking for...thanks.

I got the Subaru, any deep washouts?

Matt M
01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Guys, I'm a member at Muga Pines (the hosting camp) and I would not drive an AWD sedan past the first landing. The road is littered in canteloupe to basketball sized rocks that will damage the undercarriage of vehicles. Many of these won't be visible with the snow. I have a F-150 with stock tires and suspension and will usually hit bottom lightly a couple of times on the way in and I know the road really well. Any half ton or bigger truck will likely be fine if you go really slow, but I would not advise anything with less clearance to attempt the drive past the first landing. If you have things that need to go into camp that you don't want to pack there will be a few 4-wheelers with sleds, and if you catch me or one of the other guys on the way in with our trucks we will be happy to drive in anything you don't want to pack.

See you guys Friday!!

Ken
01-27-2013, 07:22 PM
About a half mile in there is an old log landing where we can get most of the Subaru type vehicles to park. Jeeps, pickups and the like are welcome to drive all the way in...but like Matt noted....u will need to take your time and pick your way along.

Ralph we can pick u up right at the road. Just give me a time to meet u.

Canadian Guy
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Ken, is there enough snow to pull a sled in if one were to park at the old log landing or is the ground fairly bare? I do drive a Jeep but half the fun is pulling a sled in on the snow!

Ken
01-28-2013, 04:53 AM
U should be able to pull the sled....

larryschwartz
01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Guys, I'm a member at Muga Pines (the hosting camp) and I would not drive an AWD sedan past the first landing. The road is littered in canteloupe to basketball sized rocks that will damage the undercarriage of vehicles. Many of these won't be visible with the snow. I have a F-150 with stock tires and suspension and will usually hit bottom lightly a couple of times on the way in and I know the road really well. Any half ton or bigger truck will likely be fine if you go really slow, but I would not advise anything with less clearance to attempt the drive past the first landing. If you have things that need to go into camp that you don't want to pack there will be a few 4-wheelers with sleds, and if you catch me or one of the other guys on the way in with our trucks we will be happy to drive in anything you don't want to pack.

See you guys Friday!!

Having snapped the sway bar on my AWD Saturn Vue last year, to the tune of $1200 in repairs, due to a pothole on a similar road heading into a backcountry campsite I would definitely advise ANYONE with less than pickup truck ground clearance to not attempt the drive in. Rocks you can NORMALLY see and avoid but potholes often are hidden in the snow. I find that I need to drive no more than 15 mph on roads like this if I want to have enough time to see and avoid the potholes and rocks.

Larry

Woods Walker
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
My truck is having issues so will take the family funster van. Two wheel drive, 2 inches of snow max. LOL!

edit.

What are the expected lows. My uncle wants to know what bag to pack.

Matt M
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
My truck is having issues so will take the family funster van. Two wheel drive, 2 inches of snow max. LOL!

edit.

What are the expected lows. My uncle wants to know what bag to pack.

I would expect low teens at night, and low 20's during the day.

Woods Walker
01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
I would expect low teens at night, and low 20's during the day.

That sounds like a heat wave. Going to bring the shorts and crocs.

Ken
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
THE crocs??....not again...

Ken
01-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Ralph...what time will u be there?

Ralph
01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm figuring on leaving here about 0800 on Saturday. It takes me about an hour and a half to drive over there so I should be at the road entrance about 0930. Thanks, Ken.

Ken
01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
I'll see u then Ralph.

A BIG reminder....there are log trucks using the road. Big log trucks. Please be sure to get all vehicles completely out of the way. The loggers have been very helpful to us making sure the parking area is cleared...we need to be sure that we do not interfere with the operation as time is money for them, and they will not be happy if they have to track me down to get a car moved.

Be prepared to back up if you meet one on the way in.

Any questions, let me know.

Robbie
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I'll see u then Ralph.

A BIG reminder....there are log trucks using the road. Big log trucks.
I didn't know there were such a thing as a small logging truck LOL. Day OHHHHH!!!!!

Ken
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Ya know Robbie....the damn liberal tree hungers figured that the smaller log trucks would effectively save more trees, kinda like their position on guns. Anyways....the trucks these guys are using are not the neutered down versions...they are the real deal...

Robbie
01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Yeah, They tried to tell us that we could haul nawgas to the slaughterhouse in smaller rigs. Didn't work they get real nasty when you break the herd up into smaller groups messed up the rigs and hydes. Went back to the big trucks. Sometimes the old ways are the best. Kinda like the hobbyhorse assembly the last step is the key. see you Friday.

Matt M
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, They tried to tell us that we could haul nawgas to the slaughterhouse in smaller rigs. Didn't work they get real nasty when you break the herd up into smaller groups messed up the rigs and hydes. Went back to the big trucks. Sometimes the old ways are the best. Kinda like the hobbyhorse assembly the last step is the key. see you Friday.

Haha.......after listening to you tell Ken and Johnny's kids stories about Nawgas last year, and having no idea myself at the time what you were talking about..........6 months later I was downloading some music in my phone when I finally connected the dots. Funny stuff.........lol.

Ken
01-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Nauhgas...yes yes....too funny....

one-eyed Bob
01-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Do any young people remember Naugahyde?

Ken
01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Well yeah!!....lol....

major
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Ken,

Is there water at the site?

-Kris

Ken
01-31-2013, 05:28 AM
No running water. You can melt snow or get some out of the stream and boil it.

Dave R.
01-31-2013, 06:51 AM
Ken.....is it still ok to park out in the entrance of the road by the church?

Ken
01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
There will be room 4 a couple of cars there....I'd rather get people in to the log landing if we can.

Woods Walker
01-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Packing the van and will be heading out Friday AM.

Woods Walker
01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
THE crocs??....not again...

Not only that but bringing the long thick polish meats again. FYI for those who don't know. At the ECR yea sleep with one eye open and a hand on your knife. I do......

Ralph
02-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Ken, I'm not going to be able to meet the 0930 time. I wasn't feeling right when I got up the morning. It's cold and cold air and my breathing are not good companions. I really want to get up there today but I'm not sure when that will be. Above all, I don't want to be a problem for anyone.