PDA

View Full Version : new recoil pads

Rugerman
02-05-2004, 07:13 AM
Hey Ya'll,

Has anybody tried the new Sims Limb Saver or Hogue EZG recoil pads yet? I'm thinking about getting one for a new boomer.

I've had Decelerator's for years but would like to see if the new stuff is any better.

Rugerman

Gunnslinger
02-05-2004, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine recently purchased a limb saver recoil pad for his 45/70, Marlin 1895G. (Sighting the 45/70 in with the Buffalo Bore 45/70 magnums is not much fun)

We haven't been to the range with it yet but it is much softer than the Pachmyr Decelerator. I expect it to be a winner.

M. Noyd
02-05-2004, 02:41 PM
I have used the Sims Pad on a 300 ultra and was impressed with it. The pad is much softer and has a better feel than the typical rubber recoil pad.

Cleve
02-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Rugerman--
Thanks for posting this thread. I've been considering one of the SVL pads for a Ruger 7MM Mag I've been shooting for years and would like to "soften up". However it's one of the pre-99 synthetic stocks (I recall someone, somewhere on this forum refering to it as as canoe paddle! ugly but bombproof.), and Simms doesn't seem to make a do-it-yourself version for that model stock. May have to go with the Decelerator--anything's got to be better than the pad that came standard.

I know as recoil goes the 7 Mag's not supposed to be too bad, but I come home from the range with bruised shoulder. Think I'm in danger of developing a flinch. As my budget limits me to a single rifle for big game I need to make it work. Have taken elk, mule deer and pronghorn whith the gun, had the trigger tuned and lightened a couple years back. But I'd be happier shooting it if I could avoid the sore shoulder.

---Cleve

Rugerman
02-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Cleve,

Sim's makes grind fit pads also. Just take measurements, match them up to their pad and buy accordingly. Then mount it and gind it on a belt sander. Its easy.

Rugerman
02-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Gunnslinger,

Thanks, I was wondering what the differance would be between the Sim's and the Decelerator was in softness. I've read the claims but you never know if its true.

Rugerman

Cleve
02-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Rugerman--
I'll check that out. Thanks.
---Cleve

neargeezer
02-06-2004, 08:54 PM
Cleve,
When I used to do a lot of reloading and bench testing, I made a long thin sandbag that I could flip over my shoulder between stock and shoulder. Got rid of the bruised shoulder for me at no cost.
Terry

2nd wind
02-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Hey Rugerman, I spoke with someone at HS Precision about ordering one of their stocks with a Limb Saver pad installed. This guy said they were not going to try to custom fit these pads. I don't remember his exact words but it was something about them being hard to grind precisely. He also said that Remington had a deal with Limb Save to be the only factory supplied guns with the M3 pads for the next 3 years.

I have seen them on new Remingtons, they feel like Jello. I would be interested in hearing from folks that have ordered them prefit or had sucess in sanding them to fit.

I would also be interested re: thoughts on a replacement stock for a model 70 .300 win mag. The local gunsmith shop just says "put a McMillian on it if you want it to shoot". I love accuracy but do not want to carry an oz. more than I have to to get it. Thanks All

Bill
02-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Rugerman,

If you look at the kick ezz web site they have information that is supposedly from a "independant source". The info shows that their pad performs better than either the decelorator or the limb saver

JF
02-07-2004, 07:55 AM
2nd wind:

McMillans are very good for sure but a lot of shops like to use them because they don't require much work. They can do a very simple skim bed and possibly an easy paint job and charge for a "custom bed and finish package"

The high tech from Bansner, and the Brown Precisions are also very good but much lighter in weight. They both however, will require a little more finish time.

JF

Rugerman
02-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Bill,

I thought about Kick Ezz, but yesterday I called one of my wholesalers for the SLS pad and they were out of stock. So I had them send me the Hogue EZG. I'll let you guys know what I think in a couple days when it comes in.

2nd wind,

Thanks for the info. FWIW, the H-S Precision stock looks like a best buy to me. With it's aluminim bedding block, you won't have to pay someone to bed it for you, if you weren't going to DIY. But they are a little heavier than Brown or Bansner,but lighter than McMillian.

Kevin
02-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Rugerman, the fellow JF recommends for painting a glass stock charges $75. That's not bad for quality work and includes return shipping.

For bedding, glass bedding is not that hard. Just takes a little care. You can DIY without major problems, I'd bet.

goosetracker
02-07-2004, 10:40 AM
I too have been considering a H.S. Percision stock, however I have been getting conflicting reports from many shooters. It seems that you just do not drop in the actions an tighten as advertised. Some report that major bedding is required. At this juncture I don't know what to believe.

Rugerman
02-07-2004, 01:05 PM
goosetracker,

Some of the stocks you are talking of are layed up of fiberglas or other material that need strenghthening in the receiver area. Or they are semi-inletted so you can save some money and finish it yourself. In doing so proper bedding may be needed. H-S has put a aluminum bedding block in some of their stocks for a solid base with precise fit. Some rifles, with this stock, may need tweaking but not likely. Thats why Remington chose them for their varmint and police rifles. Anyhow you don't have to bed if the rifles shooting the way you what it to. Its more of a cure for accuracy problems than anything else. But if you do bed one, use Acraglas gel, its good stuff.

Rugerman

Rugerman
02-11-2004, 09:24 AM
I got my Hogue EZG pad in today. It's not any softer than my Decelerators. But its a nice looking pad. I might try Kick Ezz or maybe I'll try to fine a SVL sometime.
Just FYI fellows in case your planning on purchasing one.

Rugerman