PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in my new MMR frame

wetzel
09-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Hello,
I'm posting this for anybody interested. I just got my MMR pack frame a few weeks ago (just in time to give it a good test for the hunts). I was planning on going no MMR bag, Kifaru cargo panel, and a bunch of pockets and such. I then found this Hill People Gear Highlander compression panel and thought it would save some weight as opposed to a bunch of pockets. Here is a few pictures of it loaded for day pack use with all my hunting daily carry stuff.

I have carried it on a few trips and love it so far. Here is a picture of the antelope whole in an alice pack liner loaded up in the compression panel. I didn't get to weigh it but I would guess it weighed about 90 pounds with gear and water (the antelope sans skin was 60 pounds, so maybe 70 as it sat in the pack).

Sorry I don't have a picture with me wearing it, I was by myself and don't have monkey arms. If you are interested I can post a picture of me wearing it in day pack mode. Cheers.

Lab-Roamer
09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm going to be running the exact same set up. How does the ALICE pack liner work? Did you get the HPG compression kit as well?

mountaintrek
09-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Wetzel,
do a review. Looks great. How much meat was the antelope?
m

Spokerider
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
I too have an MMR frame coming soon.
Going as light as possible is something I am also gearing up for. I plan on using a Sea to Summit dry bag held in place with the cargo panel, and one Kifaru 500 cordura Back Pouch secured to the frame.
I'm interested in what your's weighs with the HPG bag / liner / compression kit.
How do you like the MMR so far?

Take-a-knee
09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I have a similar setup. I have an old "Cabelas" LH frame with the smaller HPG Tarahumara compression panel/daypack with the HPG compression kit. I'm also using the silnylon SM25 packbag from HPG.

wetzel
09-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I will weigh the frame, bag, liner, and compression straps I found most useful tonight and post it. So far I absolutely love the MMR frame. I have never felt comfortable hunting with a day pack and knowing that shooting something meant carrying heavy loads with a small daypack or hiking to retrieve the pack frame. I am a convert from the Eberlestock dragonfly. I bought that pack hoping to fix the above mentioned conundrum, but found myself not wanting to carry it everyday as it was bulky and cumbersome even when compressed. In it's defense, it carried weight really well. I have packed over a hundred pounds multiple times and been relatively comfortable. My MMR frame set-up feels good so far. It is not bulky or cumbersome. The highlander bag seems to be just big enough for all my daily carry stuff, with a little room left over just in case.

I have used the Alice bag liner for a few years now in other packs and it works great! The main concern with it is that the rubber lining doesn't let the meat cool and its heavy. I only put the meat in it to hike and then immediately take it out when done hiking to allow the meat to cool. I have a Sea to Summit bag that I planned to use as Spokerider was planning. Currently I use it as a bag for clothing and gear, I hesitate to put meat into it, because it is really nice and don't want to ruin it for clothes and such. So in summary I pack in using the Sea to Summit bag then dump it at camp. Another use I have for the Alice pack liner is it doubles as a seat when the ground is cold, wet, muddy (another feature that I hesitate to use the Sea to Summit bag for to avoid punctures) I just throw it down and sit on it. Originally I was going to move away from the Alice pack bag, but it serves so many roles for me it is hard to give up. Here is a picture of it somewhat stuffed when I was testing to see which compression straps I wanted to carry with me.

Suggestion: For those of you guys planning on using the MMR frame for non military stuff, you might want to have them switch out the quick release shoulder straps and go with the long hunter straps. Those quick release buckles are bulky and will get in the way of using a gun bearer, they also could make shooting with the pack on less comfortable. Just a thought

wetzel
09-24-2012, 09:57 PM
The MMR frame, bottom shelf, compression straps large enough to fit around a much larger object than the above picture (these straps that came in HPG's Compression kit are super heavy duty with metal clips for attaching to frame probably add some serious ounces when all added together), and the highlander bag plus gunbearer weighs 7 pounds according to my cheap bathroom scale. When loaded with all my daily carry gear (this includes stuff that would keep me alive if the crap hit the fan) plus water it weighs about 20 pounds and seriously feels like an empty pack on my back. I don't know quite what it is about the MMR frame that makes it feel so light. In my little Scout the same load seems much heavier in comparison. Anyways, I hope this helps somebody down the road. I have a four day trip this Friday to hunt Elk and will put it through some more paces and try to report back.

Thomas152
09-25-2012, 04:06 AM
I've employed this Alice bag liner for some a long time at this point with other packs and it also functions good! The primary nervous about it's that the rubberized filling does not allow beef trendy and its particular major. My spouse and i simply put this beef inside to be able to hike and right away take it out any time completed trekking to allow for this beef to be able to trendy.

wetzel
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I have a similar setup. I have an old "Cabelas" LH frame with the smaller HPG Tarahumara compression panel/daypack with the HPG compression kit. I'm also using the silnylon SM25 packbag from HPG.
I was curious about the Tarahumara size in relation to the Highlander, What all do you carry in it when out for the day?

Spokerider
09-25-2012, 10:29 PM
The MMR frame, bottom shelf, compression straps large enough to fit around a much larger object than the above picture (these straps that came in HPG's Compression kit are super heavy duty with metal clips for attaching to frame probably add some serious ounces when all added together), and the highlander bag plus gunbearer weighs 7 pounds according to my cheap bathroom scale. When loaded with all my daily carry gear (this includes stuff that would keep me alive if the crap hit the fan) plus water it weighs about 20 pounds and seriously feels like an empty pack on my back. I don't know quite what it is about the MMR frame that makes it feel so light. In my little Scout the same load seems much heavier in comparison. Anyways, I hope this helps somebody down the road. I have a four day trip this Friday to hunt Elk and will put it through some more paces and try to report back.

Thanks for getting the weight on your packset up.

I have calculaed the weight of the items I have chosen, MMR with carbon stays, cargo panel, Sea to Summit bag, Kifaru Back Pouch, at 6lbs 7 oz. I have made a leather scabbard for my carbine, and it's weight is not yet calculated in.
I wanted a pack that could be used as a day pack with the bare essentials only, as well as a pack that could handle any weight that my knees could take in the event I want to load 'er up.
Good that you're liking yours........looking forward to getting my MMR soon.

wetzel
12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey just in case somebody cares I thought I would update this thread. Yesterday hunting season for me ended. I was blessed to fill all my tags this year (3 antelope, 1 deer, and 2 elk).

Mid season I sold my highlander bag because it just wasn't working for me. It was a very well built product but the overall set-up just didn't fit what I wanted. Anyhow, I sold it and bought a Mystery Ranch Crew cab (bag only) to go on my frame. I bought it from StephenB on the forums here, so he had modified it to be quite a bit lighter by removing all the unnecessary stuff.

At first I thought it might be a problem since it was shorter than my MMR frame. I decided that it was fine and put all of my less used necessary stuff in a medium pod below the crew cab on the bottom of the frame in the lumber area. The pod also serves the purpose of helping the pack to stand up when it is sat down (especially important when you are sitting and want a back rest). I used it for a bit without harvesting any animals as all I had left to hunt was a cow elk and coyotes.

Yesterday my buddy and I went out for a last ditch effort to harvest some cows before the storms moved in and the season closed on Friday. To make a long story short we got into some elk and both my buddy and I filled our tags. Years ago my friend built a deer cart that works awesome, but due to the steepness of the slope and the drifted snow we couldn't get the deer cart up to the animal.
My buddy with his deer cart
My buddy (notoriously lazy) was very disappointed,while i was very excited to try out my new set-up. On the load out I put two rear bone in quarters, back straps, and tenderloins into my alice bag and put that in the crew cab bag on the MMR frame. It carried like a dream. Another note on the length of the crew cab bag. It being shorter causes the weight to ride higher up on the frame and in my mind the ideal spot. Here is a picture of the pack loaded. It was a 2 year old bull calf, about the size of a cow.

Sorry about the sideways pictures

wetzel
03-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Thought I would update this again. I had some left over silnylon from a tarp tent my wife had sewed up for me a while ago and thought I would put it to use. I sewed up a large stuff sack to be used in conjuction with the crew cab bag that is attached to my duplex frame. It should give me enough space to pack in all my clothes and such then dump it at camp and use the Crew Cab/Duplex frame as a daypack. The silnylon stuff sack weighs 2.5 ounces.
The bottom pod is not even close to full.
As you can see it will get much larger if necessary
I am curious to see if this system will work okay. I wonder how long it will last? I also wonder how stable it will be when loaded up with real stuff (I had two large comforters inside it for the picture). It seemed pretty secure as it was. Anyways, just thought I would post this in case somebody was interested. Once again, sorry about the sideways pictures.

Exploriment
03-30-2013, 03:37 AM
Any chance you could show how you attached the Crew Cab to the MMR frame? I’ve always been intrigued by the CC, but never considered it could be attached to the Kifaru frame.

Benny BC
03-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Great work. When I get into a place big enough I'm dead keen to get an industrial sewing machine to pursue all my wonderful (in my mind) ideas.

Also keen to see attachment method.

walkingxthunder
03-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Ditto on seeing the attachment method. After 24mi with my new MR NICE frame, I'm missing my MMR hauler pretty bad and wondering if I could somehow shorten the frame to better fit my shorter MR packs.

wetzel
03-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Ditto on seeing the attachment method. After 24mi with my new MR NICE frame, I'm missing my MMR hauler pretty bad and wondering if I could somehow shorten the frame to better fit my shorter MR packs.

You don't need to shorten the frame. In my mind it is perfect the way it is. Because the MR pack is shorter it causes it to ride in the perfect spot for hauling heavy loads. I will post how I mount it on the MMR frame, let me take some pictures.

wetzel
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Okay, here are some pictures of how I mount the Crew Cab on the frame. It is really pretty straight forward. The top slot of the Crew Cab slides over the upper stays and I thread the lifter straps out of the slot. It isn't a perfect exit here, but it works pretty good.
I attach a strap on here
Here you can see it running across the bottom, it looks awkward but really hasn't ever bothered me. Let me know if there are any other pictures you want to see.