PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding On a Timberline Pack Please!

JGI
08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey y'all first time posting here, so be gentle please ;). I've done a search but couldn't find anything to answer my questions. Hopefully you guys can help!

One quick note, I'm not a hunter, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I'm lookin' to make my first Kifaru purchase and need a new pack for backpacking with the missus. We do everything from overnighters to 5+ days when we can. Sometimes base camping, sometimes thru-hiking. I generally carry most of the bulk on the extended trips to include a double-wide sleeping bag (we like to snuggle lol), the cook kit & fuel, the water filter, etc. We carry our own food and spare clothing, individual FAKs, and repair kits for redundancy. We've been switching over to lighter and more compact gear lately because my back injuries have been taking a toll on me.

The reason I've been looking into Kifaru is because:
1) I'm short at 5'4.5" with a 16" to 16.5" torso, so there aren't many light, multi-day packs that will fit right on me.
2) I carry more weight than the "ultra-light" packs out there are made to carry
3) The Timberline packs are lighter than most regular multi-day packs and is probably a better fit for my short, crooked/injured back
4) I've been drooling over Kifaru for a while and couldn't justify the purchase to the missus until recently

What do y'all reckon I should be looking at for a multi-day pack, given I'm a little guy and the missus is even smaller? I'm trying to avoid extra pockets to minimize excess weight. I think the T1 is out of the question considering my size. Will the T3 be too small for me to carry food&gear for let's say a 5 day trip without pockets? Maybe if I strap the compressed sleeping bag outside it would work... Or would the T2 be better to keep things streamlined and inside, so I don't throw off the balance of the pack?

Sorry for the long post. Hope you can help!

Aron Snyder
08-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I think the T2 would be the best option, but adding a few pockets to the T3 would also work well.

Feel free to call me at anytime and we can chat about your options....

Aron

720-937-1418

JGI
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the response Aron! I think I've decided on the T2 for simplicity, but I'll give you a ring if I've got more questions. Thanks again!

cmeier117
08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I would suggest the T2. It is what I have and I can get 7 days worth of food and gear no problem and have room on the pack out for meat. The T2 compresses down really well and should work great for you with 24 inch stays. I have the XTL lid and two small waist belt pockets so I am 6000 Cu inches and it is nice to have. I have not used the T3 but I would guess the pack would be full, and I always like having the majority of my gear in side the pack. The T2 with the lid and two front zipper pockets is perfect for me and all my gear I need quick access too. Remember if you don't include the the outside pockets and vertical slot pockets the pack volume is 3400 cu inches on the inside. Although it feels a little bigger than that to me. You will love either of them, but I would go T2 for sure!