PDA

View Full Version : Day Hunt Solution for KU5200

Reid
08-11-2012, 10:23 PM
After two years of hunting my KU5200 I finally came up with a solution for day hunting once I reach my destination.

Simply remove the waist belt which already has 2 Possibles Pouches attached at 400ci each for a total of 800ci.

Next I remove my Long Pocket from my pack and use the doc n lock feature to attach it to my waist Belt in the lumbar region adding another 650ci for a total of 1450ci of day tripping storage.

And finally there is still enough room for my water bottle to be attached to the waist belt as well. Which does not take away any of my storage.

This is enough for rain gear top and bottoms, camera, field dressing tools, eye glasses, GPS+InReach, snacks, head lamp, map, compass, fire starter, nalgene water bottle, gloves, hat, cordage, glass cloth.

Then using bino buddy's my range finder is secure.

Much better than a pack for bow hunting in my opinion as I feel more free to move, bend, stalk etc.

All the while not adding a single extra ounce over that which i have already carried.

Very happy.

I will upload pictures if anyone would like to see; but, I think you can imagine what I've done.

Perhaps Patrick may want to consider a few robustness ideas I have to add more secure lash downs for the long pocket to secure it a bit better in the lumbar area.

Patrick
08-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Very clever Reid! And useful.

PM me those ideas. I'll be in the field a lot the next five or six days, but will be looking for instances of connectivity up real high and so forth.

Reid
08-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi Patrick.

Will do. Let me snap a few photos and i will send it off to your PM account.

I think with just a few thoughtful modifications to the waist belt and long pockets you could have a very secure load, quite jogger friendly.

Quite excited, now I have the best of both worlds, light pack, and day hunt ready fanny pack.

My Best
Reid

wetzel
08-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Reid,
I would be interested in seeing those pictures. It sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

Reid
09-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Reid
09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Sorry for slow reply with these images...been traveling, working, and hunting.....

Waist belt hunted quite well. Zero complaints. Wish it had some improvements to lash side pouch more robustly; however, my rain gear road just fine in the KU Side Pocket.

Loads of shot opportunities on cows (at least 8)...didn't take any....bull I was hunting just never wound up in range....but the waist belt worked great.

Less truly is more! I recommend this set up highly without hesitation. Let me know if you have questions, happy to share more images if these don't explain what how I set this up without a single product modification.

Kmassaro
09-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Smart! Great idea, Reid.

rhunter424
09-22-2012, 11:50 AM
How do you like the possibles pouches hitting you in the thigh every step?

I like the idea of using a long pocket attached to the belt though.

Reid
09-22-2012, 08:07 PM
I love the possibles pouch on my waist belt, I don't have to take my pack off to change hats, gloves, get a snack, etc.. It is in that same position when I'm in full scale back pack mode for that reason. Actually it stays on my waist belt at all times I have never taken it off, it actually rides just the right of my stride so it's no issue bumping my leg. I have some other shots my hunting partner took while we were afield, I'll try to get those as they are more face on so you can see how the possibles rides.

quite pleased with this set up and I actually don't plan to look further, either I need my whole pack, or I'm just a mile or so away from base camp and this set up is perfect.