PDA

View Full Version : 7 to 10 day hunts

CA Karen
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Which pack would be better, the KU 3700 with long pockets, grab it and a pod or the KU 5200 withgrab it? For hunting mule deer and elk for 7 to 10 days. Also they have a hydration port on them but do they have a bladder pocket too or is it just stuffed in the pack someplace? Thanks in advance

Ermine
08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Can't go wrong with either. I would personally go 5200 thou. I like a bigger pack cinching down as opposed to a small pack trying to add on if the makes sense. The 5200 will also carry more weight comfortably and cinched down is about the same size as the 3700. I have both

They have a slot on the inside to hold a bladder

MojoSlim
08-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Can't go wrong with either. I would personally go 5200 thou. I like a bigger pack cinching down as opposed to a small pack trying to add on if the makes sense. The 5200 will also carry more weight comfortably and cinched down is about the same size as the 3700. I have both

They have a slot on the inside to hold a bladder

+1

I think the KU5200 cinched down works as well as my old lady's KU3700 filled.

I've even used the Grab-it to help cinch the entire KU5200 down and put just a KU E+E on it. Works almost like a hauler that way, and the E+E and Grab-it really help contain the cinched down KU5200 bag portion. I'm thinking that this could be a good day hunt setup to use out of base camp. Get an elk down and I have the ability to pack more meat than my legs can carry, and still have the E+E for essential gear.

It really depends on your preference with pack pockets. If you like to have access to lots of things while on the move (tripod, spotter, rangefinder, etc.), then perhaps the KU3700 + pockets would better fit your style. Might even look at the Timberlines if that is your preference. If you have no problem putting all of your gear into one large chamber, then the KU5200 is worth a look, for, as stated above, you can cinch down most any load (all the way down to no load) pretty comfortably. I am in between liking pockets and using no pockets. I run a KU E+E on my KU5200 for most of the gear I'd need on the trail (filter, toiletries, FAK, etc) and the rest of my "at hand" items go into a chest rig.

Good luck with your choice!

CA Karen
08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I was leaning toward the KU 5200, just did not kown if it would compress down enough to use as a day pack once I packed in to my spike camp. Pockets on the side of a pack are nice but not a requirement for me, belt pouches on the other hand are a neccessary....hmmm I have some hard thinking still to do o this subject, to see if can I fit everything in to the 3700 or not.

ryanusmc
08-03-2012, 04:36 AM
I prefer slightly smaller packs. Ive found that no matter how big my pack is I'll always fill it. Smaller packs require me to be more disciplined in my load out.

I also like a few outside pockets for toiletpaper, snacks, and first aid kit

larryschwartz
08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Karen,

I would go with the KU5200 for these reasons:

1. Fitting an elk quarter into the 3700 might take some work unless you just plan to strap it to the outside.
2. The weight difference between 3700 and 5200 is minimal so go with the bigger bag and have more flexibility.
3. All of the KU packs compress down really well so it's not an issue of having a big bag flopping around when you use it as day pack.
4. If one of the reasons for the external pockets and pod on the 3700 is for organization, and not just extra storage capacity, you can still do it on the 5200 and get the organization you want.

MojoSlim
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
4. If one of the reasons for the external pockets and pod on the 3700 is for organization, and not just extra storage capacity, you can still do it on the 5200 and get the organization you want.

agree with what was written above, but I'd just add this to #4. I feel that the option to add a pod to the top of the KU5200 is lost when the pack is carried empty/compressed. Maybe not completely lost, but the lid hangs down so that the attachment points would be on the "front" of the pack rather than "on top." This would probably be the same with a KU3700 compressed, as well. I don't use this attachment point even if the bag is filled, so I can't really comment about the point in bag fullness in which the top attachment point becomes useful.

Phil
08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I have done 7 days with my ku 3700 packing tipi and stove, but I upgraded to the ku 5200 belt. It hauled great. phil

alaskalanche
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I have done 7 days with my ku 3700 packing tipi and stove, but I upgraded to the ku 5200 belt. It hauled great. phil

But did you carrying anything out other than your camp when you did that??

I think most people could do a 7-10 day hunt with just 3700 cu in and a couple pockets or a grab it. However, the issue comes in when you have to carry out camp and part of animal. For this reason I got my wife the KU-5200.

Take-a-knee
08-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Which pack would be better, the KU 3700 with long pockets, grab it and a pod or the KU 5200 withgrab it? For hunting mule deer and elk for 7 to 10 days. Also they have a hydration port on them but do they have a bladder pocket too or is it just stuffed in the pack someplace? Thanks in advance

This is the direction I'm headed:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/epic.asp

sab
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM

That thing looks to have short stays, and the recommended max load is only 40 pounds. You plan on packing meat with it?

Regards,
Scott

Take-a-knee
08-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Kifaru CF stays will fit with a tad of whittling, reportedly ups the load carrying capacity quite a bit. I ain't that strong anyway. I've given up on Kifaru making what I want and I ain't dropping a grand on a custom pack. This will get 'r done. Haven't decided on the KU 3700 's future yet. Just spent 10days in the Bob Marshall and I ain't feeling the love for anything except that waistbelt. It absolutely ROCKS!

Solitude
10-08-2012, 09:55 AM
I have the KU3700 with pockets and personally would not trade if for the KU 5200.

My thoughts:
1. Fit two boned out elk quarters in the main compartment.
2. I put all my gear into long pockets, possibly pouches, etc for organization and simply lock them to the outside of the pack when packing meat. Otherwise they ride inside.
3. I am an average guy, and pushing to take more than two boned out elk quarters and you gear very far in typical elk country (uphill/downfall) is going to leave me thinking the last thing I need is a larger pack.
4. The main difference on a 7-10 trip from my typical 4-5 day is simply food. For me I get everything but my sleeping pad into a 3700 for a 3-4 day trip. Pull out a long pocket and attach it to the outside of the pack and bingo, room for additional food on the inside if desired.
5. When I BIVY I enjoy a tighter/fuller pack and the 3700 is better suited for me given my gear vs a larger looser compressed pack.

robcollins
10-08-2012, 11:43 AM

65 liters is the same capacity as the biggest ILBE sack that I use on my MMR with a Mystery Ranch cargo panel. It works GREAT. That said, I'd go with the 5200, and weigh/keep track of everything I put in it.