PDA

View Full Version : Tactical E&E dock and Lock to a KU3700

Dan_Smith
08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I emailed this to Mel, but thought it may benefit the group if others have the same question.

I'm hard on my daypacks with fishing equipment, sharp objects and general abuse. Love my KU3700, but want a tactical E&E to dock on.

Would rather have a tactical E&E (over the KU version), but want to lash this on to my KU3700. I was told Kifaru won't make a tactical E&E with the KU lashing system built in to directly lash onto my pack like my other E&E components.

Read on...

Without using additional KU lashing straps or additional lashing straps in general, how to you recommend lashing on the Tactical E&E to a KU3700 with a modified dock and lock system? Would Kifaru make adapters to lash the tactical E&E to a KU pack? One would think this could be accomplished with the tactical buckle that snaps to the Tactical E&E and a KU dock and lock 3 bar adapter.

I want the opposite adapters than what is done here: https://www.kifaru.net/KUA_kits.html

Tactical E&E correctly lashed to a KU3700 using adapters. I can't be in the minority here, as others may want tactical or hunting pockets they already have lashed to an E&E pack when needed.

Thoughts and feedback?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Mel
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
There is an easy way to do this, even though it wasn't designed for it. On your Tactical E&E click off the split bar female SR buckles on your D&L straps and install single bar female SR's onto the 3/4" common loops on your KU3700. Just run the 3/4" common loops through the single bar female SR buckles. Now you can just Dock n Lock your E&E onto the KU3700 in normal fashion. Hope this helps.

Mel

Dan_Smith
08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to sell an Tactical pocket to KU pack adapter kit to let people run the tactical pockets and Tactical E&E on KU packs and make a couple of $$ along the way?

The items most prone to damage on a KU pack is all the pockets and the E&E lashed onto the pack. Easy product for Kifaru, and more modularity for the customer in a $5-$10 product.

Tactical buckle sewn to a KU 3-bar slider. Voila, new product.

robcollins
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to sell an Tactical pocket to KU pack adapter kit to let people run the tactical pockets and Tactical E&E on KU packs and make a couple of $$ along the way?

The items most prone to damage on a KU pack is all the pockets and the E&E lashed onto the pack. Easy product for Kifaru, and more modularity for the customer in a $5-$10 product.

Tactical buckle sewn to a KU 3-bar slider. Voila, new product.

If I had some of those, I could easily lash Dan to my MMR if he's wearing his pack. I think that's what he's got in mind...

Mel
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Hey Dan,

Unfortunately, we are not a custom shop and as a manufacturer have to look at the overall potential sales for any product we produce. There is just not a viable market for an adapter kit for running tactical pockets on KU packs, and in fact, you are the first person to even inquire about that. I would recommend just getting a bunch of single bar female SR buckles and you will be good to go.

Mel

Curtis C
08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
When I was trying to attach one of my KU long pockets to my bike handlebar I just spent a few minutes on Amazon.com looking at buckles, 3 bar sliders, and 3/4 grosgrain. I was able to find what I needed to build a few Dock and Lock setups. I even built setups to attach KU longs to packs made by other pack makers.

Buckles
http://www.amazon.com/10-Economy-Release-Plastic-Buckles/dp/B003ST3BG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343920928&sr=8-1&keywords=1+inch+side+release+buckle

Grosgrain
http://www.amazon.com/May-Arts-4-Inch-Ribbon-Grosgrain/dp/B0064YBJL0/ref=sr_1_8?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1343920986&sr=1-8&
keywords=3%2F4+grosgrain

3 bar glides
http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-f.htm

With this you should be able to build what you need to get it attached. Just remember to use 3/4 grosgrain, and 3/4 three bar slides because is what will attach to the 3/4 straps on the KU Pack. Then the 1 inch buckle will attach to the E&E

You will end up with something like this https://www.kifaru.net/KU_dockandlock.html but it will have a 1 inch female buckle.

robcollins
08-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm doing the same kind of thing to mount my tailgunner to the chest area on the straps of my MMR. (but have been distracted) I'm using a Speedy Stitcher, Cabela's has them as does REI, Amazon, etc... Or, learn the wife's sewing machine. (I'm scared to do that, next thing I'd know, I'd be conscripted by the war department to make curtains, and probably not in multicam silnylon)

Dan_Smith
08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Rob ~ If you can strap me on to your load hauler and hike me in and out of places, I will gladly take the free ride up and down the mountain. You can show off your feats of strength and agility and I can crack open a beverage and enjoy the ride. Maybe you are onto something there. Molle equipped kids clothing. Your kids get tired on a long trip, lash them onto your pack with few SR buckles and no more complaining!

Back to Topic ~

Thanks to everyone for the links. Kifaru uses ITW Nexus buckles and hardware for the majority of their clasps. This is evident from the markings on the buckles.

Here is a retail supplier for these buckles if I don't purchase direct from Kifaru:

http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&Category_id=107

To attach this tactical E&E to my KU, all I need is to make some easy adapters. Since my wife sews, this should be pretty painless. It may cost me a home-improvement project, but it would be worth it.

3/4" KU 3 bar. 3/4" grosgrain, and a 1" buckle to clasp to the Tactical E&E. If you want to clasp on other packs/pockets that are molle equipped, I'd merely need the 1" GT SR FIELD EXPEDIENT BUCKLE to clip to the pack, and then clip to this adapter.

Mel~ Your customer service and dedication is top knotch! Thank you! Catering to the crossover crowd who want the best of both worlds using heavy pockets on an existing KU pack would be painless for Kifaru. Since this isn't available and probably won't be due to the production schedules and backlog, I'll have to fill in the gap here.

In my opinion, pockets hanging off the KU packs will be more prone to damage then the pack itself when bushwhacking. And with people who already have the pockets and move towards a KU pack, they will work together. On the downside for Kifaru, if the adapters were made, it may take away sales of the KU pockets, but it does give the customer more choices.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. Love my KU3700 pack.

hilemanj
11-25-2012, 01:17 AM
I actually did this. I have a Tactical E&E and simply used 1" field repair ITW buckles which worked fine even though the straps on the KU3700 were 3/4" webbing. I'll try to upload a few photos soon.