PDA

View Full Version : KU E&E and Pull Outs

Mel
07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey guys,

A customer contacted me and wanted to know the relative size of the Pull Outs compared to a KU E&E. So, I took these pics showing all 4 sizes of utralight Pull Outs next to a KU E&E. For your info, all 4 of those loaded Pull Outs easily fit inside the E&E. The Tactical E&E is the same size as the KU E&E, so the pics work for both. Not sure if this is helpfull to anyone, but thought I would post the pics anyway.

Mel

rhunter424
07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
The XL pull-out's are huge and these photo's really show that. The first time I got a complete set of pull-outs I was surprised about it's size. The dimensions are listed but they don't serve it justice in opinion.

I'm sure others will benefit from these photo's. Thanks Mel.

Dan_Smith
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Mel,

I have a followup question regarding the E&E while we are on this topic. I emailed Angie, but I'm sure you all are plenty busy. With the E&E, is there a tab on the inside to hang a 2L water bladder? I have a KU3700 and there is a bladder pouch. Is there a provision to hang a 2L bladder in the E&E? This would be a bonus for us wanting to use this as a daypack and carry water on the inside, rather than hang the water bottle holder on the inside or just stuff a bladder on the inside of the E&E to flop around. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Dan

Mel
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey Dan,

There is not a tab on the inside to hang a bladder on either E&E, but it is very simple to make one. Just take a short length of paracord and tie the ends onto the common loops that the chamber pocket connects to and then you have the ability to hang a bladder off of the paracord.

Mel

Doc168
07-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, I noticed that this was the thread for the KU E&E, and thought I'd put some pictures of mine up for some reference. It's fully packed for a 3-day hike, and weighs 12lbs with food and 2 liters of water. inside of the main pack are a couple of the small pull-outs, my food is in one large pull-out, outside of it are a couple of nalgene bottles in bottle pockets, and my woobie in a long pocket is on the front.

It's comfortable because its so light, but im kindof wishing they would make the beefed-up ultralight version of the E&E shoulder strap replacements. The stock straps are fine, they just feel like they could be better.

If anyone has questions about it, or wants some additional pics, feel free to ask.

enjoy: 9692969396949695

floranama
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Doc168,

Why don't you have the Bottle Pouches on the E&E instead of the Long Pocket? I am about to purchase a pair for my KU E&E and was wondering how they would hang. I saw a picture of them here on the forum, but it didn't look right. Looked like they were hanging to low and unstable. The way you have it looks right, but wouldn't it be more stable towards the body (E&E).

I agree with you about the XRay straps. Hope it becomes an option in the future. The KU Contoured Padded Sling works well also.

Thanks,
Mike

BuckarooMedic
07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Doc168,

Couldn't you just replace the E&E's stock straps with the X-Ray straps? The original straps had to be cut-off anyways. On paper, it seems like it would work. Or are you waiting for a true KU option? I agree with you, the E&E is not that comfortable with a heavy load on an all day hike. I concur with foranama, try putting the Nalgenes on the E&E main body. That should help a little bit.

That is truly a minimal load-out you have there for three days! I wish I could get my three day pack down to 12 pounds. Could you post a list of what you're carrying? I've got the old Desert Asym Hennessy Hammock. I've done a few mods to it over the years and it is now truly amazing. Did a lot of camping in Central Texas with the HH and my Woobie. Great combo! That's the best way to go light, get off the ground.

Take care,

Dan_Smith
07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I'd carry a KU3700 lashed down with 12lbs before I carried an E&E with that much stuff. I'd use the E&E as a daypack after we reached base camp, not to use as a main pack. Just my opinion.

Doc168
07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey guys,

Those bottle pouches are attached to the main body of the E&E, they are just attached to the outside molle loops on the front instead of the dedicated loops on the sides. I've tried it both ways, and they ride better on the front with full bottles. When they are on the side, they hang a little too loose. It would be cool if there were some Velcro straps on the sides that you could use to snug them up to the pack body.

I think that the X-ray straps might work, but they would look super goofy, and I think I'm going to wait until Kifaru makes them in the ultralight version... But I agree that they would be way more comfortable than the current ones for an all-day hike. And Buckaroomedic, those HHS' are AWESOME! By far, the best piece of gear Ive ever wasted money on. We need to figure out a way to rig a kifaru stove in them, and we'll be set! Im heading out to the field right now, but I'll take some pics of my gear On Sunday when I get back. My pack isn't doing anything "tactical", I just like to backpack, and I'm lazy, which means that I like to ultralight backpack.

Dan, I agree that a bigger pack with a frame and suspension might be a little more comfortable, but seriously, 12lbs is nothing, and I'd have so much wasted space in that pack that I can't justify the cost of it. So far the longest I've done was a 9mi loop with my E&E, and it wasn't bad at all.

Thanks for the tips guys,

-Doc

BuckarooMedic
07-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Doc168,

I've actually seen, on the www some where, a guy who fitted a hammock tarp with a stove jack and had a stove going for some winter camping. The internet is amazing; if you can think of it, someone has already done it and posted pictures!

Take care,

fhlaxz
12-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Hey guys, I noticed that this was the thread for the KU E&E, and thought I'd put some pictures of mine up for some reference. It's fully packed for a 3-day hike, and weighs 12lbs with food and 2 liters of water. inside of the main pack are a couple of the small pull-outs, my food is in one large pull-out, outside of it are a couple of nalgene bottles in bottle pockets, and my woobie in a long pocket is on the front.

It's comfortable because its so light, but im kindof wishing they would make the beefed-up ultralight version of the E&E shoulder strap replacements. The stock straps are fine, they just feel like they could be better.

If anyone has questions about it, or wants some additional pics, feel free to ask.

enjoy: 9692969396949695

Could you post your contents?

fhlaxz
12-30-2012, 12:18 PM
How much weight can you carry in a ultralight E&E?

njloco
02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
This was a good read, why did it end ?

dean1662
02-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Very interesting I have my KU E and E ordered with a bottle pouch. Never thought of expanding the possibilities. A friend of mine who has the e and e slid a lightweight frame sheet into the slot where the straps go and it really stiffened it up. Holds your items better and doesn't glob up due to the lightweight fabric.