PDA

View Full Version : Bcr iii

gonehuntn
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Fellow Ramblers,

Patrick, Sawtooth and I went up to survey the BCR site and catch a few fish this past weekend. I went a day before Patrick and Saw and enjoyed some quite time. There is nothing like re-charging at 10,600 ft, miles from civilization.

I put together a short trailer of our visit. You will notice Patrick's forlorn expression as we sat around a cold fire ring waiting for water to boil for breakfast. There is a stage 2 fire ban so that means no open fires. Basically, if it doesn't have an on/off switch or nob and uses an enclosed fuel source it's not permitted. I told Patrick that using a Kifaru shelter with no stove is like owning a sports car and being forced to drive 10 mph. Hopefully, the burn ban will be lifted by the end of the month. If not, be prepared to fix your meals without a fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESyr38gq8Y

BTW...Sawtooth's "rain dance" worked. By the time we got to the trail head the rain was coming down! You'll have to ask him yourself, but I believe he's available for hire. Watch the video...you'll see what I mean.

Gonehuntn

MojoSlim
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Dang, there's some production value in this video! Quite epic!

I too, hope the fire ban is lifted by the end of the month. We should send Sawtooth all around Colorado to perform his rain dance in an effort to bring more rain to the state and hopefully get the fire ban lifted!

Sawtooth
07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
My rain dance must be working, because it's been raining over here in the northern San Juans every day for the past few days. Enough to blow out the Uncompahgre and San Miguel for most of a day. And here I thought it was all wasted motion!

snakey2
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Living here in wet western Or. we don't have much call for rain dances. That is good because, from what I have heard, it isn't the motion so much as the lack of clothing the dances require that could cause embarrassment. Sawtooth good for you continuing to help with the weather in spite of those requirements! I'm sure if I tried one I would get no rain just a direct lightening strike as a comment on my performance.

thewolverine
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Great Trailer! Rain has been on the Palmer Divide lately and north of Kalispell a couple weeks ago- It is REALLY wet..Flooding in many areas and water in Yellowstone was high.

gonehuntn
07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Great Trailer! Rain has been on the Palmer Divide lately and north of Kalispell a couple weeks ago- It is REALLY wet..Flooding in many areas and water in Yellowstone was high.

Hopefully we'll get lucky like last year. It takes a lot of rain to lift the ban. It's pretty dry at the lower elevations in Park CO.

mark s
07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
How is the fire ban situation. I looked up Pike National Forest and it only listed a stage 1 alert. Does a stage 1 alert allow use of K stoves given that they're enclosed?

Sawtooth
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Under the current fire order, you CANNOT USE A STOVE FIRE. No wood-burning stoves. Here's the link to Forest Order 12-12. Check Paragraph 1 under Prohibitions:

Forest Order 12-12 (http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5379519.pdf)

mark s
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Rats! I guess it is back to hoping for some good soaking rains.

MojoSlim
07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Saw, you'd better dance harder! We got some nice afternoon/evening soaks up here this weekend, so maybe your aim is off. Incidentally, thanks for the rain :)

Sawtooth
07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I did enough dancing at the concert at the park in Ridgway last Thursday night to soak all of you. So, stay tuned. We just got about .25" here at the house. It's working, gents!

Sawtooth
07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
If there's anyone else interested in attending, please let me know! I can forward you the info via PM.

DocGP
07-18-2012, 03:58 PM
MAN, that is way cool!!! I gotta get me a band so I can have my own dramatic theme music when I go on relaxing weekends!!!

Good job.

Doc