PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why Kifaru cancelled the KU Koala?

HFlier
06-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Anyone know why Kifaru cancelled the KU Koala? Was it lack of interest or an issue with them?

Thanks

chippewawarrior
06-22-2012, 05:50 PM
They didn't get rid of it. It just got moved to the Koala dedicated webpage...

HFlier
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I emailed them today because the links for buying the KU Koala didn't work and I was told they would remove the links because they no longer make them

chippewawarrior
06-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Ah, ok I stand corrected...

Take-a-knee
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Well, I'm glad I got mine when I did.

sab
06-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow, that stinks! I have an original Koala, a KU Koala, and an HPG Kit Bag, and the KU Koala is my favorite, by far! I wonder what the backstory is?

Scott

sreekers
06-23-2012, 02:10 PM
It sounds like emphasis is being placed on the best sellers. The hunting line was expanded, then trimmed to meet the demand of the newer packs. I would guess with the new Koala Lite options the KU Koala wasn't getting as much attention sales wise.

Patrick
06-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Hello gents, let's discuss this.

Yes, the KU version of the Koala Series has been pruned off in order to build more of the newer very high-demand packs. There seemed to be a lot of overlap in the Series with three versions. And all of them are relatively small and therefore there didn't seem to be a need for an Ultarlight version particularly.

But the reaction I'm seeing here gives me pause. Frankly I like my KU version lots and use it constantly. So let me ask for more feedback on this subject right here. Should we stay the course and let the KU Koala go or should we revive it? In the end the company must make every effort to do what YOU want.

sab
06-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Patrick:

My vote is for keeping it. As noted above, I have your standard Koala, the KU Koala, and HPG's Kit Bag. I use the KU Koala 99% of the time. I've actually thought about selling the other two. As for the KU, I like the capacity, as it easily swallows my Glock 20, rangefinding binos, GPS, camera, and other "doo-dads" I like to keep close at hand. It has the capacity of the standard Koala, but for us UL enthusiasts, its weight isn't a compromise.

Regards,
Scott

flamingo 7
06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
I've got an original Koala and a KU version as well. I kitted the original one out with a complete version of the possibles bag that I carry, while the KU Koala has a much more limited version. The KU Koala is the one I use. The original is pending a decision to put it up on the trading post (I hate selling things I like, but there are other things I want). If I was buying for the first time now with the three choices, I'd still go with the KU version, and if I bought a 2d one to fill a “gap” it would probably be the Koala Lite. All in all I’m completely happy with my KU Koala. It fits my needs.

Take-a-knee
06-24-2012, 09:42 AM
About a month from now I plan to be traipsing around Bob Marshall wearing a KU Koala with a Glock 20 inside of it.

ozarkrambler
06-24-2012, 09:56 AM
My vote is to keep it, I had plans to get another one to use for handgun hunting and give the cordura one to one of the boys. I had sold my original to a guy who was deploying and needed one overnight and never got around to replacing it.

Other brands available won't except my hunting pistol, a custom 5 1/2" Ruger in 45 colt.

Jge3
06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
My vote is to keep it in the line up. I've got the standard, hpg and the KU. They all fill a niche

Reid
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for serving us as you do, everone that tries my gear says it's the best. My dear friend is the mfg rep for a very large global German pack maker with a high reputation for quality, when his wife tried my G1 Late Season she turned to hubby and said "I gotta have one of these!" Even just tonight a friend tried my KU5200 (we're training for our elk hunt together) and he said my pack blew his away. The variety of niche offerings is fantastic.

That said, I also understand allocative efficiency, maxamizing your mfg lines, your complexity, and your raw materials to produce the most efficient throughput for the high runners. Keeping Kifaru a healthy business is in all our best interest, after all who else makes this great specialized gear?

I love the idea of a KU Koala, and was planning to purchase a his and her's Christmas set along with omni belts for trail running with my Sig on board. My wife trains for marathons and often she is alone, I want to know she has her pistol with her for safety.

I was unhappy to learn they were being scrubbed from the line up. If you do discontinue them, can I at least order a set for Christmas gifts...;-) before you cut off orders....either way, I support your decision.

Signed

Your Loyal Customer
Reid

Take-a-knee
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
I love the idea of a KU Koala, and was planning to purchase a his and her's Christmas set along with omni belts for trail running with my Sig on board. My wife trains for marathons and often she is alone, I want to know she has her pistol with her for safety.

I was unhappy to learn they were being scrubbed from the line up. If you do discontinue them, can I at least order a set for Christmas gifts...;-) before you cut off orders....either way, I support your decision.

Signed

Your Loyal Customer
Reid

IMO, the Hill People Runner's Kit bag would serve your wife's needs better than the Koala. The Koala is perfect for the HUNTER. Holds a handgun, possibles, binocular and rangefinder. This is why I don't understand why this doesn't stay in the lineup, as Kifaru makes kit primarily for HUNTERS. The Koala would be overly large for your wife.

rhunter424
06-25-2012, 08:32 AM
IMO, the Hill People Runner's Kit bag would serve your wife's needs better than the Koala. The Koala is perfect for the HUNTER. Holds a handgun, possibles, binocular and rangefinder. This is why I don't understand why this doesn't stay in the lineup, as Kifaru makes kit primarily for HUNTERS. The Koala would be overly large for your wife.
Or even the Koala lite.

I've never handled the regular Koala or KU Koala (only the Koala Lite). Is there any other reason to keep the KU koala other than it's weight savings over the regular Koala, ie. hardware compatibility with other KU packs?

According to the website, the Koala lite without any pockets weighs the same as the KU Koala. IIRC, the Koala lite + 2 inch pouch weighs less than the regular Koala.

For me the reason why I went with the Koala lite over both the KU and regular Koala ( and also the HPG kit bags) due to it's Kifaru mantra - modular and multifunctional. I can have one rig for multiple load-outs simply by switching or removing the pocket on the front, doing so very quickly. It's been hinted at there will be even more front pouches for the Koala lite too.

Mel
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Hey guys,

I thought I would jump in here with a couple comments. First, the Koala Lite is only 1/2" wider and 1" taller than an HPG Runner's Kit bag, so basically just about the same size. The Koala Lite is completely adjustable for height in the front, from high on the chest to low on the belly, and anywhere in between depending on what you're using it for, and with what other gear. But, as rhunter124 pointed out, the biggest feature of the Koala Lite is the modularity with the different front pocket options. This link shows the Koala Lite with the Flat front pocket.

https://kifaru.net/KL_flatpocket.html

This link is from the message board and talks about setup for the Koala Lite, and the versatility of the Flat front pocket.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=29610

Here is the Koala Lite intro link from our message board with lots of details.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=28027&highlight=koala+lite

Hope this helps, and what do I personally prefer? The Koala Lite over the KU Koala when wanting a simpler, lighter version of the standard Koala.

Mel

Ken
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM

I think the key phrase was "...along with Omnibelts...". Could be wrong, but I think the intention is to fannypack them whle running.

sab
06-25-2012, 09:39 PM
For me the reason why I went with the Koala lite over both the KU and regular Koala ( and also the HPG kit bags) due to it's Kifaru mantra - modular and multifunctional. I can have one rig for multiple load-outs simply by switching or removing the pocket on the front, doing so very quickly. It's been hinted at there will be even more front pouches for the Koala lite too.

But for us UL nuts, keep in mind that modular = heavier. That's why I'm moving from a standard Koala and MMR to a KU Koala and KU 5200. I'm willing to compromise in order to get my gear as light as possible. If any of the Koalas should be discontinued, I'd vote for the standard Koala before I would vote for the KU Koala. Of course, I think they all fill a niche, though.

Regards,
Scott

Take-a-knee
06-25-2012, 11:06 PM
I think the key phrase was "...along with Omnibelts...". Could be wrong, but I think the intention is to fannypack them whle running.

Missed that. A Bianchi Top Secret (if they still make it) is a good fanny pack for something like a G-19 or a J-frame S&W.

Reid
06-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Yes Yes the Key is Omnibelts, i want to be able to run 20 miles with the Koala in fanny pack mode with Omni Belts.

Do the owners of Koala's suggest othersise?

Seems like a KU Koala will fit this bill, and also at only 1lb would serve me as my archery hunting fanny pack when I use my KU5200 as my main pack.

I was hoping the Koala would serve a multitude of functions, and most importantly the number one role is fanny pack with omnibelt when runing with a pistol.

Am I crazy, or is that the multi-function design intent of the Koala?

Ken
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
No, your not crazy. I think the Koala would serve you well for your intended uses.

tendeerfeet
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes Yes the Key is Omnibelts, i want to be able to run 20 miles with the Koala in fanny pack mode with Omni Belts.

The Omni belt will not work with any type of Koala. I would suggest using a Tailgunner.

sab
06-26-2012, 10:36 AM
tendeerfeet:

You are correct, the Omni Belt won't work. However there's a special version with a lumbar pad attached called the Omni/Lumbar Belt that works with the Koalas. I don't know if it works with the KU Koala, though. Anyone tried it with the KU Koala?

Scott

tendeerfeet
06-26-2012, 11:34 AM
there's a special version with a lumbar pad attached called the Omni/Lumbar Belt that works with the Koalas.

The standard and Ultralight Koala have pals webbing on the back that will attach to the Koala lumbar WB. The Koala Lite has no pals webbing on the back and will not attach to the Koala lumbar WB.

Vernon
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Patrick,

My vote is to keep the KU Koala. I had planned on getting one soon. If it's not in the line-up I will be diligently seeking a used one. The KU gear is that good.

MojoSlim
06-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I'd like to see the KU Koala stick around. I think that it rounds out the KU line quite nicely. I've also been procrastinating on getting one, so I was a little bummed when I saw they were no longer available to order. I have an HPG Kit bag, which is great for when I need to be stealthy/compact, but for hiking/backpacking, I think that I might prefer the KU Koala (in conjunction with my KU 5200 and KU E+E).

Does anyone own the Koala Lumbar Waist Belt? If so, could you comment on its use/fit/comfort with a Koala? Is the lumbar area removable? Can you just get the lumbar/Pals section to attach to an existing omni belt? I really like the idea of being able to run a Koala (or any Pals pockets) as a waist pack, but I'd prefer not to have to buy a dedicated waistbelt that will not work with anything else.

Mel
06-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Hey guys,

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about the different features of the (3) Koalas. There is no KU Omni Lumbar Belt, and you can Malice clip a standard Omni Lumbar Belt to the back of a KU Koala, but the 1" Delta straps won't work with the KU bag. You could jerry rig split bar tension locks onto the 3/4" webbing on the sides of the KU bag, but they can slip off when snugging the Delta straps. Also, you would be defeating the KU principle of weight savings, because the Omni Lumbar Belt is not ultralight. With the KU Koala you do give up organization in the main compartment for that weight savings. If you want to use a Koala as a fanny/lumbar pack for trail running and such, then the standard Koala is the ticket, even if it is a little heavier.

If you want to run a waistbelt on a Koala, then an Omni Lumbar Belt is your only option. This belt is in one piece and nothing on it is removable.

The standard Koala is the flagship of the Koala lineup and can do almost anything asked of it with incredible modularity and multifunctionality. The new Koala Lite is a lighter/simpler model with it's own version of modularity with the removable front pockets. The only advantages the KU Koala has is the light weight and it is designed to work with the KU pack line with it's 3/4" webbing and hardware, along with being the same fabric and color. It wasn't a huge seller and when it came time to trim something down, it was the one chosen. As the manufacturer, the Kifaru folks have to make hard decisions at times when it comes to production and overall sales. I hate to poop on the parade, but please read back through every post in this thread like I just did. There are 27 posts and 3 pages. I counted only 3 guys that said that they wanted a KU Koala, and one maybe. The rest of the posts were from guys that already had KU Koalas, or just comments about how it would be cool if they were still in the lineup with no mention of personally wanting one. So, I will ask you guys if what you've seen so far in this thread, and this post especially, is enough justification to bring back the production of the KU Koala, and is the full sales potential there to warrant such a move?

Mel

sab
06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Mel:

One of the reasons I like Kifaru and have spent thousands of dollars on your gear is that it is an innovative company that fills niches in the gear market. One of those niches is UL gear. The UL gear market is not a mainstream market. It's a niche market, also called a cottage industry. Using UL gear requires a different mindset. One has to make compromises, but the trade-off is worth it to us ULers - reduced pack loads. Not everyone is willing to make some of those compromises. As a result, UL gear is not as popular as mainstream gear, and it never will be. To think otherwise is to fool oneself.

Currently, Kifaru is the ONLY UL hunting gear manufacturer. There are many UL gear mfrs, but none make hunting-specific gear. I'm sure that the Timberline series (which is not UL gear, by the way) outsells the KU series by a fair margin. By your comments above, it would make sense to jettison the entire KU series because they're slow-sellers compared to the Timberline series. Since Kifaru is a build-to-order company, it seems much less important whether items are hot-sellers or not - you're not going to sit on any inventory since you have none. You make it sound like Kifaru only wants to concentrate on mainstream, top-selling products. What happened to fulfilling the needs of those of us in the fringes? Is our collective money no longer enough for Kifaru? If so, then I think a little part of Kifaru's soul has died...

Regards,
Scott

Raven67
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Mel and Patrick,

Good Day Gents. In reference to keeping the KU Koala, I think that you don't need it. Just my .10 cents. The Koala Light hits the head on the nail. Light, durable, modular, totally adaptable all the way around... Perfect complement to the KU line and all other KIFARU Packs. Add or subtract pockets. Make it as thick or thin as you want. The most versatile pack of its type made. I thought about the KU, but after a long talk with Mel, I'm sold on the Koala Light. No need for the UL version.

Great Packs guys. Keep up the good work!
R67...

Vernon
06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm in agreement with sab. It seems as though some (Mel in particular) feel that Kifaru strayed with the KU line. In fact, I believe that Kifaru finally fully fulfilled Patrick's mission in the design and implementation of the KU line. As sab said, UL is not mainstream but since when has Kifaru been mainstream. Keep the entire KU line including the KU Koala. The line was designed to work together as a modular, whole system. Don't orphan the best that Kifaru has ever made.

Sawtooth
06-27-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm in agreement with sab. It seems as though some (Mel in particular) feel that Kifaru strayed with the KU line. In fact, I believe that Kifaru finally fully fulfilled Patrick's mission in the design and implementation of the KU line. As sab said, UL is not mainstream but since when has Kifaru been mainstream. Keep the entire KU line including the KU Koala. The line was designed to work together as a modular, whole system. Don't orphan the best that Kifaru has ever made.

Not sure why the KU Koala was killed other than the posted reasons, but I must agree with Vernon in his final sentence. I have a KU Koala, have carried it for many, many trail miles while it carried my fly box, minimalist possibles, tenkara rod, and my beloved Smith and Wesson Model 60. It does fill a significant niche for hardcore minimalist UL ramblers, which should not be confused with mainstream ultralight backpackers. We have to tote our possibles in the lightest way we can, while also packing a handgun for reasons that range from personal protection to protein procurement. So long KUK, we'll miss you.

Vernon
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
So long KUK, we'll miss you.

Well, hopefully Patrick will see fit to bring it back into the rotation.

Patrick
06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Okay men, here's the latest on our efforts here at the Shop to accomodate the need for an ongoing Ultralight Koala. Like Sawtooth, I use mine continually; I simply cannot let a KU version of the useful Koala go away.

Here is our proposal: We can commit to building a simpler version based on the new Koala Lite. It will have KU 3/4" controls and be built from the double layer tipi fabric we use on all KU gear. It will offer KU versions of the Lite pockets (OR will accept your Lite pockets if you have any). It will be lighter than ever and less expensive than the original KU Koala.

It will also be much more production friendly for my crew: part of the reason we contemplated eliminating the original KU version is because it is extremely difficult and time consuming to construct.

Personally, I can see myself cheerfully making the switch to this newer version. Simpler, lighter, modular...I love it!

So. What do YOU guys think?

Mel
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Hey guys,

Here is the proof that we do not sit idly by behind the scenes at Kifaru, and do listen to your requests. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place when trying to answer questions why the KU Koala was dropped, because I was privy to the information about the difficulty in constructing the KU Koala, but didn't want to mention it out of turn. That's why I put the Koala Lite out there for an alternative. Now the design concept for the Koala Lite can be integrated into a new KU Koala. I think it is a marriage made in heaven sure to please everyone. For the ultralight folks, you can now have a KU Koala that is even lighter (and cheaper) than the original, and have even more modularity for those that don't want to lose that feature. I would say this is a win win all the way around:cool:!

Mel

sab
06-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Patrick/Mel:

It's nice to see you guys are trying to accomodate us ULers! The difficult to manufacture factor was an important piece of information. I've sewn silnylon, and it is an absolute bear to work with. I will say, however, that I'm glad I have my original KU Koala, as the capacity is perfect for my needs, and I'll wager that a KU Koala Lite with additional pockets of equal capacity will weigh more than the original KU Koala. My experience has been that modular gear is heavier gear. Again, I'm very pleased to hear that y'all haven't abandoned us ULers! Keep up the good work!

Scott

MojoSlim
06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Patrick and Mel,

This is great to hear. Will you be offering the original KU Koala for any time before making the switch to the KU Koala Lite version you mentioned? Perhaps putting a set date on when they will no longer be available would help out those folks who wanted to get a KU Koala but didn't realize it would be leaving to be able to buy one; sorta like you are doing with the Hunting packs that are being phased out. If you said I had to order by the end of July to get an original KU Koala, then I'd order one tomorrow!

Also, I'm glad to hear about the KU Koala lite. When Mel first posted about the Koala Lite, I asked about plans for a KU Koala lite, but at the time, it wasn't foreseeable that it would be produced - http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=28027&page=2 I selfishly suggest you call it the "MojoSlim" :)

Patrick
06-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Mojo, et al:

We have six original KU Koalas cut out and capable of being sewn and assembled. If you want one or more of them get your orders in now. When they are gone we will be finished with that design.

Please give us a couple of weeks to work up some costs on the replacement version, as discussed based on the present Koala Lite. As for the name of the new one, it still makes perfect sense to call it the KU Koala...because that's what it is. But I suppose for the sake of differentiation from the Original we could call it something like KU Koala II? What think guys?

sab
06-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Patrick:

Here's my feedback on the name. If it's simply a Koala Lite made out of the tipi fabric, call it the KU Koala Lite. If it's substantially different than the Koala Lite, call it either the KU Koala II or the KU Koala G2.

Regards,
Scott

MojoSlim
06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Mojo, et al:

We have six original KU Koalas cut out and capable of being sewn and assembled. If you want one or more of them get your orders in now. When they are gone we will be finished with that design.

Please give us a couple of weeks to work up some costs on the replacement version, as discussed based on the present Koala Lite. As for the name of the new one, it still makes perfect sense to call it the KU Koala...because that's what it is. But I suppose for the sake of differentiation from the Original we could call it something like KU Koala II? What think guys?

Sent an email to Angie to snag one, as the order page for the KU Koala is non-existent. Thanks for the heads up, sir!

MojoSlim
06-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Patrick:

Here's my feedback on the name. If it's simply a Koala Lite made out of the tipi fabric, call it the KU Koala Lite. If it's substantially different than the Koala Lite, call it either the KU Koala II or the KU Koala G2.

Regards,
Scott

I was just playing around with the mojoslim thing. In order to keep the names all streamlined and organized, I agree with Scott's suggestions.

Patrick
06-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Hey Slim, I was trying to figure a way to make it work...but nothing was coming to me. Looks like Scott may get us off the hook.

Sawtooth
06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
THIS is why Kifaru is on the tip of the spear when it somes to product development and customer service. You will NOT get this kind of grassroots-generated product development, or immediate response, in ANY other comparable company (and there are few) on the face of the Earth. Let this be a lesson...you can get similar products from other companies, but it'll be a much more top-down offering. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Many thanks Patrick and Mel. May this groovy gear revolution never stop!

major
06-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Hooah to what Sawtooth said.

And Patrick, I will definitely be in for the new design you described for the KU Koala.

thewolverine
06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
I am in for the new KU koala lite. I was going to wait until next month, but am hurrying home to Monument before the Waldo Canyon fire gets worse..We may need the tipi sooner than later.

floranama
06-28-2012, 07:44 PM
This whole thread is a great example of how gear companies should be. Listening to their audience and adjusting to their needs while maintaining bomb-proof and relevant gear. Mom and Pop Shop service/quality with an international reach.

I think that all the smaller KU items, including the pockets, are perfect additions to any pack lineup. It is a disappointment the original KU Koala is gone, but to replace it with a KU Lite version is good movement forward.

Kifaru, thanks for keeping us involved and ahead of the rest.

Ken
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
...ya know...for as much as I hear on other BP forums about terrible Kifaru customer service, lack of innovation, terribly long wait times, higher than nuts on a giraffe pricing blah blah blah blah blah...you people sure do seem to make alot of people happy.

Congrats on the latest Kifaru...even if it wasn't in your foreseeable future yesterday...lol...

HFlier
06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Okay men, here's the latest on our efforts here at the Shop to accomodate the need for an ongoing Ultralight Koala. Like Sawtooth, I use mine continually; I simply cannot let a KU version of the useful Koala go away.

Here is our proposal: We can commit to building a simpler version based on the new Koala Lite. It will have KU 3/4" controls and be built from the double layer tipi fabric we use on all KU gear. It will offer KU versions of the Lite pockets (OR will accept your Lite pockets if you have any). It will be lighter than ever and less expensive than the original KU Koala.

It will also be much more production friendly for my crew: part of the reason we contemplated eliminating the original KU version is because it is extremely difficult and time consuming to construct.

Personally, I can see myself cheerfully making the switch to this newer version. Simpler, lighter, modular...I love it!

So. What do YOU guys think?

Patrick, awesome solution. You answered my question. When I bought the KU Koala I have I looked at it and said, "how in the world do they make this thing for that price? It is complicated! I am glad I got one. I will buy one of the new ones too, as I need a lighter smaller one sometimes and I like the KU material.

Sawtooth
06-28-2012, 08:57 PM
...ya know...for as much as I hear on other BP forums about terrible Kifaru customer service, lack of innovation, terribly long wait times, higher than nuts on a giraffe pricing blah blah blah blah blah

...let me guess...

wolfmen
06-29-2012, 01:24 AM
love to see this final decision, it is a win-win solution. And again, thank you Patrick, Mel and all crews. I always believe you guys ONLY offer the best to us. And i also respect what you guys decision because you guys are the persons who run the company.
I have KUK pack and use it as shoulder bag almost every day. Now i am saving the penny for the new mega tarp, it seems i have save another penny for new KUK II.

wolfmen

Vernon
06-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Mojo, et al:

Patrick, I'll take one!!! How do I order?

MojoSlim
06-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Patrick, I'll take one!!! How do I order?

Vernon,

I emailed Angie Thursday evening and she had my invoice to me on Friday morning. I think this is the only way to order as there is no longer a page for the KU Koala on the Kifaru website.

Vernon
06-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Mojo,

I have an email in. I seem to remember that Angie is Snowdevil, correct??

sab
06-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Vernon:

Snowdevil is Maggie. I don't think Angie is a member of the forum. At least I've never seen any posts from her.

Scott

Vernon
06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I knew that. Email is in to Angie.

Vernon
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Well, despite emails to both Angie and Maggie the 6 KU Koalas are already gone.:( If anyone has one they would want to sell I'm very interested. I'm going to third, fourth or whatever the motion that Kifaru give us advance notice when items are going to be discontinued. This has been an ongoing issue - note the Paklok garments and now the KU Koala. Some of us are watching our finances but if we knew the item was going away we would jump on it - or I would! Very disappointing. I guess I'll watch for the KU Koala Lite but I'm not happy and will not pair a none KU item with a KU pack - that is simply wrong counter to the KU philosophy. Email or PM me if you have a KU Koala for sale.