PDA

View Full Version : 'Ultralights'

tkite93
05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
I hate light weight packs. It's the reason I have not purchased anything new in a long time. If Kifaru is planning to get away from the 1000 denier, let me know so I can get before it's gone. Nothing beats a heavy duty pack, and I see the newer light weight stuff a compromise in quality. In my opinon, Kifaru should leave the light weight yuppie crap for those other companies- no compromise.

Eagle6
05-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Wrong. Just depends on your usage. Down in the Delta, 1000 denier. Backpacking and fishing in Montana, Kifaru Ultra Light. Just my two cents or two basis points. YMMV and probably does.

tkite93
05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Wrong? I'm not wrong otherwise there wouldn't be any threads on how to repair a rip in your light weight pack here.

20 years of hard use and my current 1000 denier pack still has no threads popped, no materials ripped. That's why I want a 1000 denier Kifaru to replace it.

Phil
05-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Like Eagle6 said, there is no compromise with the Kifaru UL packs. You need to do some research before you make that kind of assumption. phil

tkite93
05-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Like Eagle6 said, there is no compromise with the Kifaru UL packs. You need to do some research before you make that kind of assumption. phil

Considering there is a thread right in this section, and the last comment is by Patrick himself, maybe you should do some research lol.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=29079

I ran away from other pack offerings by other companies just because of this trend towards 'light weight'. I want heavy duty. My point is that I came to Kifaru because of their offerings of serious packs in 1000 denier, and am dissapointed to see them offer a 'light weight' line.

sab
05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Hey, tkite93:

Welcome to the forum. I must say that your attitude is a bit off-putting. Don't assume everyone uses his pack in the same manner as you. There are many reasons for a UL pack, and there is a compromise in doing so. Patrick filled a niche quite nicely. If you don't like them, fine - don't buy them. But don't try to tell those of us espousing the UL way that we're wrong. Would you walk into a room of strangers and tell them all that their shirts are ugly? Maybe you would, but most civilized folks wouldn't. Just sayin'...

Scott

larryschwartz
05-29-2012, 07:57 PM
tkite,

I don't think that you have to worry about Kifaru abandoning their lines of heavy duty packs. :D Kifaru is still a small business and only brings out new products when there is a real demand for them from their clientele, thus the ultralight and timberline packs. These new lines are just additions to the existing lines, not replacements for them.

Larry

Sawtooth
05-29-2012, 08:04 PM
I hate light weight packs. It's the reason I have not purchased anything new in a long time. If Kifaru is planning to get away from the 1000 denier, let me know so I can get before it's gone. Nothing beats a heavy duty pack, and I see the newer light weight stuff a compromise in quality. In my opinon, Kifaru should leave the light weight yuppie crap for those other companies- no compromise. .

I also welcome you to the board! However I must also wonder at the purpose and intent of your post. Way to be positive! If you think Kifaru is "getting away from the 1000 denier..." then you are severely mistaken. If you think "nothing beats a heavy duty pack" (without quantifying that), then you are severely mistaken. If you think "the newer light weight stuff <is> a compromise in quality, then you are severely mistaken.

There are a good number of us here who have embraced lightweight and ultralight backpacking and muscle-powered hunting and angling for many years. You would be well-served to do a search on the forum of such topics. You may find that you will have a change of mind and may possibly learn a thing or two.

If you don't come to accept ultralight backpacking, then by all means continue to use the Kifaru products that don't fit in that category. ;)

tkite93
05-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Just giving my own opinion of 'ultralight' in the backpack arena. That's it, and nothing more. I'm entitled to it, and entitled to let Kifaru know how I feel about anything less than 1000 denier - and WHY I have come to Kifaru to spend my money rather than Mystery Ranch. I figure if I am spending a thousand bucks on a pack, it should be what I want, not what others want to give me.

That's about it, and thanks for the welcome. If I pissed anyone off, that is not my intention. My intention is just to let Patrick know what I think of 'light weight', and why I came to him for a new pack rather than giving Dana Gleason my money.

Sawtooth
05-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Just wondering how you thought your post fit into "A great question/answer roundtable for the new Kifaru Ultralight Series"...

How about espousing the attributes of the tactical or hunting weight packs on those forums, rather than posting how you hate ultralight, and accusing Kifaru of compromising quality? That way you wouldn't have to talk about how you don't want to piss anyone off. Just sayin'.

sab
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
How about espousing the attributes of the tactical or hunting weight packs on those forums, rather than posting how you hate ultralight, and accusing Kifaru of compromising quality? That way you wouldn't have to talk about how you don't want to piss anyone off. Just sayin'.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!

tkite93
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't really think I need to espouse the benefits of 1000 denier packs- they speak for themselves. That's why I came to Kifaru. Seeing 'ultralight' and Kifaru in the same sentence doesn't seem right. That said, I'm done with this thread and section. I gave my two cents and that's all I came to this section of the forum to do.

Eagle6
05-29-2012, 09:17 PM
By "wrong" I meant that Kifaru does not compromise on quality, ever. As I said, it depends on intended usuage. Maybe you might consider contacting Patrick directly with your conserns.

Kmassaro
05-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Tkite93:

1) Have you ever even seen a KU pack up close, much less used one?
2) If not, how can you possibly comment about their quality?

tkite93
05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Tkite93:

1) Have you ever even seen a KU pack up close, much less used one?
2) If not, how can you possibly comment about their quality?

Why don't you read the thread. First of all, I am not commenting on their quality. I am saying that I hope Kifaru is NOT heading down the same path Dana Gleason went with his packs. You make things lighter weight, you are instantly compromising the durability. Some of out here want the heavier made products, and that is what I expressed here- my concern whether or not Kifaru was or was not heading down that same path.

Kmassaro
05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Uh, no. Expressing concern is one thing. Starting with "I hate lightweight packs" is not expressing concern.

If you think you're going to come here with a chip on your shoulder, you're at the wrong message board.

Ermine
05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't think Kifaru is heading down any road. They are paving their own road. They will have the cordura line of packs and the ultralight line of packs. Because different guys prefer different stuff. I own a Late Season and a Longhunter (cordura) and can say they are absolute bombproof. But I also have a KU and I am fascinated by how light yet how tough it is. Truely amazing

Ermine
05-29-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't really think I need to espouse the benefits of 1000 denier packs- they speak for themselves. That's why I came to Kifaru. Seeing 'ultralight' and Kifaru in the same sentence doesn't seem right. That said, I'm done with this thread and section. I gave my two cents and that's all I came to this section of the forum to do.

And Kifaru makes alot of things that are "ultralight." Not just packs...take their shelters and stove for example

Sawtooth
05-29-2012, 10:37 PM
...and I see the newer light weight stuff a compromise in quality. In my opinon, Kifaru should leave the light weight yuppie crap for those other companies...

I consider myself to be a fairly literate person, and it looks like to me you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. I'll pose the very same question that Kevin did...

Have you seen or used any KU packs? For how long and under what conditions? Do you personally know anyone who has? If they, or you, have any specific, detailed, negative feedback then let's hear it.

I have extensive in-the-field experience with the KU line. I've hauled a KU3700 to hell and back for hundreds of miles, have hauled out meat with it, and have basically lived out of it for up to three months at a time. I probably have THE lightest weight KU3700 in existence...it's a prototype with no cordura on the bottom of the pack (one of the areas of heaviest wear), and it's still going strong. I was right there with Patrick in the field to witness his meticulous research and development over a period of several years. I'm not saying I know it all and my opinion is final, but I know a lot and I can back it up. I would stake my reputation as an experienced lightweight backpacker on the fact that the KU line is second to none in quality and durability in the context of UL packs on the market. It is not "light weight yuppie crap". I think you're way off base.

tkite93
05-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Uh, no. Expressing concern is one thing. Starting with "I hate lightweight packs" is not expressing concern.

If you think you're going to come here with a chip on your shoulder, you're at the wrong message board.

I don't need your permission to dislike 'ultralight' products. I came to Kifaru because of their bomber 1000 denier products. Nothing more or less. Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn't make it wrong, nor does it give you the right to bash me for my thoughts on these products, or entitle you to stifle my voicing my opinion over Kifaru having an 'ultralight' line.

If Kifaru gave up 1000 denier, they would lose my business- just like Dana did when he decided to cheap out and make everything 500 denier. A lifetime warranty doesn't do anyone any good when your pack craps out in the field.

cashonlycow
05-30-2012, 04:30 AM
That said, I'm done with this thread and section. I gave my two cents and that's all I came to this section of the forum to do.

It's past that time...can you go troll somewhere else please?

I accept that you want heavy duty 1000D bags, you're entitled to your preferences, I don't think anybody is questioning that. But I think you're a bit off in criticizing Kifaru's decision to expand into the KU line...it is THEIR decision, based on THEIR perception of what their customers' preferences. In the end, they are a business...and whether you like it or not...the outdoors/hiking/hunting community has gone in the direction of lighter products. Whether or not that reduces the effectiveness of the products in the durability department remains to be seen (overall in the community) long-term, but I'm pretty confident that Kifaru is at the top of the heap (along others).

Mission drives the gear. Everybody has different wants and needs. I don't have any personal experience with the KU line, as it's not something I need or want...so I don't step out of my lane to speak out about it, positive or negative. Me thinks you're a bit outta your lane here...as others have previously pointed out.

I, for one, am hoping for Kifaru to make 500D bags. Although I must admit there are many tempting bags in the Mystery Ranch line.

larryschwartz
05-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I think it is time for Snowdevil to close this thread folks. Neither side is hearing what the other is saying. The OP could have expressed himself more clearly and the respondants need to understand he wasn't trying to say light weight stuff sucks or is evil. And I am not trying to further the conflict. There are other much more interesting threads here to read and comment on.