PDA

View Full Version : Dressing a Wild Turkey - question

Ksnake
05-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I used to just breast them out, but have found that cooking them with skin on is better (YMMV). After a 140 degree water bath I pluck, gut, and remove legs and head. Lastly I follow the esophagus and take out the crop. Now this is the part that I am not sure about. Around the crop is a lot of moogly googly (Woodland Girl's phrase LOL) stuff. I've always removed all of that too. But it looks like mostly fat, but I'm not sure if it is. So I am thinking that it might be better to leave all that in there to help with flavor, gravy, moister, etc. Not sure. Do you guys remove this stuff? Or leave it in?

sab
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I used to just breast them out, but have found that cooking them with skin on is better (YMMV).?

They are way better when cooked skin on because the skin helps keep the meat from drying out, which is important with a WILD turkey.

After a 140 degree water bath I pluck, gut, and remove legs and head. Lastly I follow the esophagus and take out the crop. Now this is the part that I am not sure about. Around the crop is a lot of moogly googly (Woodland Girl's phrase LOL) stuff. I've always removed all of that too. But it looks like mostly fat, but I'm not sure if it is. So I am thinking that it might be better to leave all that in there to help with flavor, gravy, moister, etc. Not sure. Do you guys remove this stuff? Or leave it in?

I take it all out, but I've never done it any other way, and no one ever showed me how to clean a turkey (I just did it by trial and error), so take my advice with a grain of salt ;)

Regards,
Scott

Herb
05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I would remove it.. The fat on a wild turkey is not the same as momma's chicken. Need moisture, chicken stock & veggies should take care of it.

robcollins
05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
When I've smoked them, I used a 10cc vetrinary's syringe to inject broth/butter. Another idea is to start it out cooking it hot, then wrapping it in foil to help keep it from drying out and turning the temp down. Meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast is a good idea, but I don't think going clear to 180 degrees is necessary with a wild bird, I'd turn the heat off once it hit 170 and let it rest in the oven, the temp will keep on going up. Ymmv... I don't like anything wild overcooked.

Ksnake
05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the inputs.

Has anyone ever tried cooking it with all that "stuff" in there? Or am I to be the guinea pig? I am willing to try it, but if someone has already done so I would appreciate their thoughts. Thanks!

one-eyed Bob
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
There are things like thyroid and thymus in the area you mention. Not noted for flavor.

Ksnake
05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Wow! That is the kind of information I was hoping to learn here. Thanks! But do you have any links for me to check out? Seriously, I have googled the crap out of this and cant find anything. No one ever mentions taking this stuff out, or why it needs to be taken out. I think this info would be good for all.