PDA

View Full Version : Can the KU packs be used without the belt?

Hassinator
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Is it possible to take the belt off of the KU packs & still use the shoulder straps with the Pack? I was wondering if I could take the belt off of the pack, once I established camp (like taking the belt off of the Omni style packs). Then use the pack as a light weight day pack without the belt, for small day trip excursions vs. using a KU E&E?

Thanks
Jason

MojoSlim
04-24-2012, 03:43 PM
My KU5200 cannot be used without the belt. The shoulder strap bottoms attach to the belt. I ordered the bag only from a forum member and bought the belt and stays from Kifaru. When I got the bag, I thought it would be like the omni packs (all I've ever owned before), and realized very quickly that you need the belt in order to run it.

I'm not sure if this is the same with the 3700 or 2200, however.

Hope all is well with you.

Hassinator
04-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Mojo.
Once again, thanks for your help. That's exactly the information I needed. I figured it would be similar to my MMR Hauler setup, in reference to the the belt. But being that it's Ultralight I thought maybe it would be possible.

Thanks,
Jason

Mel
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Jason,

I might have a solution for you. I'll let you know tomorrow, and hopefully with some photos.

Mel

firecog
04-25-2012, 04:40 AM
TheWraptech suspension wasn't designed to ise without the belt. However, here is the solution I came up with to run my Nav sans belt.
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=24273&p=251042#post251042
I think the only problem you'll have with the KU is that the lower shoulder strap looks like it's attached to the belt and not the pack.

Mel
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Jason,

There is a way to run a KU pack without a waistbelt if you want to run it just like a big E&E. You will need to get the KU Lash Kit here https://kifaru.net/KU_straps.html . Take off the waistbelt and then take the SR buckles off the lash kit straps and insert the 3-bar sliders on the lash straps into the lower Delta strap tension lock buckles on the bag, and then run the other ends through the tension locks on the ends of the shoulder straps. Now you have your shoulder straps connected to the bag. Next, is you have to remove the stays as there are no stay pockets on the lumbar pad. With the padded torso pads and lumbar pad, you have no worries about anything poking you in the back. You now have a non suspended bag with shoulder straps, but I have to ask the question...why? Even the smallest KU at 2200ci is not even close to being an E&E size bag, and there really is no benefit to not using the suspension the way it was designed. It can be done though as I described, but I would not recommend it at all. Hope this helps.

Mel

Hassinator
04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Mel and Firecog,
Thanks to both of you for your help.

My only though of converting the KU pack into a belt-less day pack (although much bigger than needed for a lightweight day pack) was in the idea of bring along as little as possible. If it was something that could be done with relative ease and still comfortable (like the converting the Omni packs into belt-less packs). I was thinking maybe, it could be the way to go, and eliminate bringing extra equipment if not needed. The loads I would be carrying, for a day trip would be small enough and light enough, that I was hoping I could compress the KU pack as much as possible and run around without the belt. Then after a couple of days, when it was time to head to a new site, attach the belt and use the pack as intended, get to the next camp site and convert it again.
Mel, just to clarify, if I follow your set up, do I have to remove the stays because there are no stay pockets available without the belt? Or are you saying you can remove the stays if you wanted to? Without having the equipment in my hand it's harder for me to visualize about the stays.

Thanks
Jason

Mel
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Jason,

That is correct, there are only stay pockets on the belt, and without the belt you must remove the stays. You could just fold the lumbar pad over the stays, but without stay pockets they would dig into and cut the fabric under load.

Mel