PDA

View Full Version : Question for KU5200 Owners

sab
04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Does the KU5200 belt come with Powerpull?

Thanks,
Scott

Mattb
04-23-2012, 10:19 AM
No, but one can easily add the feature. You can search this forum for instruction on how.

MojoSlim
04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi Scott, Hope all is going well! Looks like you're gonna be ordering that 5200.

Here's the thread that Mattb is talking about:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=27285&page=2&highlight=ralph

John Harvard got Ralph to add powerpulls custom, but also, if you look at post #12, Chad R posts a picture of adding a plastic slide buckle onto the accessory strap on the belt. That's what I did on the KU5200 I snagged out from under you from the trading post :-D However, as mentioned in that thread, the slack left on the belt straps isn't much more than needed to grab. Works for me (as you know, I'm pretty slim) and I think considering your frame, should work for you as well.

iirc, you have a good sewing machine and have made gear (a cuben fiber tent?). Ralph pretty much outlines the exact method he used for sewing the powerpulls on, so you might be willing to go that route, as you're likely proficient enough for that.

Take it easy, my friend.

sab
04-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks, guys. The reason I ask is that I ordered one this morning (your intuition was spot on, Mojo!), and Angie told me the KU packs have powerpull on them, which was news to me. As I don't want a pack without powerpull, I told her I was surprised (and happy) to hear that. She confirmed with Kevin just to be sure. With this forum topic, I was trying to determine if signals got crossed, or if Kifaru made a design change. Anyone received a KU pack recently? Did it have powerpull?

I knew about Ralph's posts on adding it, and I planned to do that if I couldn't talk Kifaru into adding it. I have enough projects to keep me busy for a while, so offloading that one to Kifaru would save me the time and trouble.

Thanks,
Scott

Patrick
04-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes, gentlemen, the addition of Power Pull was an inline change on our KU Packs some weeks ago. They are all being built with that feature now. We were beaten into submission on that one. < grin >.

sab
04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Patrick:

Thanks for jumping in and clearing that up! I can't wait to get my KU - with Power Pull! I think adding that to the KU belts was a great idea. The weight penalty is minimal, but the comfort factor is phenomenal. I consider Power Pull to be one of the greatest innovations in pack design ever, and it's such a simple concept that simply works!

Regards,
Scott

Patrick
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Well thanks for the kind words Scott. I reckon there comes a time when we veteran gram-counting Ultra-Lighters have to give in to convenience--especially if we're getting pounded about the head and shoulders on the subject. It is quite possible to get your belt just as tight as the PP system if you know how! But for an extra ounce, why not make it easy from the get-go.

sab
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
It is quite possible to get your belt just as tight as the PP system if you know how!

Pray tell...

Patrick
04-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Here we go:

This, for a right hander:

PUSH on the web on the left side of the buckle with the right hand thumb pressing down in the middle of the web. HARD. Again. And again.

And/Or, "lever" on the webbing on the right side of the buckle--using the right hand--with the webbing beneath the little finger. OR, lever off the butt of the hand...or both.

Before doing this hump your back so as to raise the pack upwards--lumbar pad dangling just above resting in the "sweet spot" of your lumbar pocket. Lift it with your hands from the lumbar pad if you like...whatever it takes to get it right. Suck in your gut. Push/lever HARD. Do it again. And again. And again. Your intent is to get that belt TIGHT, really tight. Now stand up again and let the load settle down into the lumbar region...and STAY there.

These last tips are applicable to both the standard old-timey waistbelt tightening proceedure as well as the new Power Pull method. Point is, both work.

Capish?

Wanderlustr
04-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I have a early 5200 and I know I can get the belt tight enough using Patrick's method to cause the circulation in my legs to cease. :) The power pull option would make that much easier...although less entertaining along the trail. Thinking of having a couple of nubs surgically grafted on my hips so I could just hang the pack there to stop that annoying downward creep. While I am at it I going to have them trim my Morton's toes back...that has always been a real bother in tele boots.
Oh there it is! Have them cut those toes off and use them for the hip belt graft system.... brilliant!

sab
04-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Patrick:

Thanks for sharing. Your method sounds a lot like what I did before Power Pull. The old "push that fat in" method! There's a big difference in effort between that method and using the Power Pull. I can tighten my belt while on the move in about 5 seconds with the Power Pull. Using your non-Power Pull method on a standard belt is not so easily done on the move, and there's no way to do it quickly. For me, it's about conserving energy. I'd rather expend my energy hikin' than wrastlin' with a belt! :) As I said, the Power Pull is one of the greatest innovations in pack design ever (in my not-so-humble opinion)...

Regards,
Scott

Patrick
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Understood, Scott.

In any event it's all good now as the KU's sport the PP set-up.

alaskalanche
04-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Patrick, what might be the cost and turn-around time of sending in a KU 5200 for a power pull upgrade??