PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a tear

karlk
04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
I just got a ku3700 and a E and E pack. I have been using my E and E as my job site bag and somehow I managed to tear an inch rip in the outer layer:mad:. Can you stitch this fabric in a regular sewing machine? Or do you folks have any suggestions on fixing? Maybe just leave it be? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you

Ralph
04-21-2012, 10:44 PM
The way to fix a tear with a regular machine would be to use a fairly tight zigzag stitch, BUT it may not be possible to fit the pack under the sewing foot - it depends a lot where the rip is. The way to fix it by hand is to use a herringbone stitch.

It is listed here as a fancy stitch but for repair use the stitch on the opposite sides of the tear, alternating under and over, to draw the edges neatly together. Done well, with strong doubled thread (nylon or polyester) this is a very strong stitch, it was used to repair torn sails.

http://homesewingprojects.com/Fancy-Stitches-3.html

BuckarooMedic
04-22-2012, 11:38 PM
I think that Patrick Smith, and others, have said just to smear a little silicone sealant on the rip. I don't think the silnylon is very easy to sew.

Hope this works for you. BTW, how did you rip your E&E? Did you catch it on something or did it get cut?

Take care,

karlk
04-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a sewing machine that I play around with. Its in a spot I can get to easily. If the material is to slippery, I will go the silicone route.

Not sure how it happened. I work in construction and I was using it as my briefcase. I also went and repaired ground blinds, and found some new deer hunting stands on some land nearby. I had all my stuff in the bag. I hunt in some pretty thick stuff, and I remember forcing my way through some green brier during the day. I wanted to see how the material would hold up. I either threw it on something sharp at work or something got it when I was in the woods. Its a great pack, and I have had this happen to other packs. I am pretty rough on my gear. I like the fact that the tear is not running. The edges are fuzzy, but it does not seem to be going anywhere.

Does anyone know what the Kifaru folks do when they repair a tear?

HFlier
05-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Bump so Karlk maybe hears how the experts fix tears in KU packs.

jljmonky
05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
You may just contact customer service and see what it will take to have them repair it...

I sent my Para-Poncho back when a stake loop ripped out and they are in the process of fixing it now...

You should have no problem running a tight zig-zag as stated with a regular machine, having sewn some heave stuff with a "normal" white, brothers, singer or sears machine I think you should be able to get through both layers of an E&E just fine...

Patrick
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
karlk, I really would advise just smearing some silicone on that outer layer flap. The double layer construction accomodates simple repairs like this nicely.