PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Colorado Rendezvous--Part One

Patrick
04-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Hello there fellow Rendezvouers, it's time we announced the Grandaddy Kifaru Rendezvous--the Colorado version--for 2012. I'm thinking this will be the ninth year. Maybe tenth...there are better Rendezvous Historians out there than I.

As always the designated weekend is the one just prior to Memorial Day. I make that the weekend of May 19-20. And as always I personally will be up at the site the Wednesday before...mark that May 16. Join me if you like, more and more folks do. Or come on up on Thursday or Friday. etc.

If you've never attended the Colorado Rendezvous perhaps I can provide a sketch of the goings on. For the second year we'll be camping at the Timberline Site. This refers to the shooting range we dedicated last year in honor of departed Kifaru Message Board Pal Bill Krenz. The "new" location is less than a mile from the "old" location. Yes, there will be a lot of shooting at the Event. Guns or bows are welcome. The Range is self-policing; however newcomers are expected to follow the lead of the veteran unofficial range masters...you will know who they are.

Bring your own food and beverages. Beverages may certainly include alcohol but do be aware that they may NOT be imbibed if you are shooting. Most nights feature a fine variety of spirits--both liquid and of the fellowship sort. Food is traditionally a Big Deal, with much Game Recipes on the menu--which IS shared. The entire Rendezvous is usually a delightful Potluck.

The kifaru Shop sends as many Tipis and stoves as we can round up; there will usually be a representative of every size. Attendees are welcome to "claim" one as their lodging--first come first claim--but should accomodate their fellow Rendezvouers in the daytime by allowing them to "tour" the tipi so as to "size it up" for possible acquisition. Bring your own shelter to be on the safe side. Bring your own bedding, with expectations of freezing temperatures and snow many nights. Bring bug dope, just in case. Sunscreen. Haul your own water, there is NONE at the campsite. It is recommended that you bring your own porta-potty equipment and privacy screening. The new location is so spread out that it can be a long walk to find that pristine and private spot in the woods for taking care of business.

Patrick
04-07-2012, 04:40 PM
2012 Colorado Rendezvous--continued....

It seems I ran out of room on the initial Post...the system just wouldn't accept any more words form me. So we'll continue here.

Let's see, have I covered the main points? If not you Veterans jump in here.

In order to keep the location "ours" (and so that we can bring along enough official Rendezvous Hats for the Saturday night Ceremony) here's the proceedure for attending:

Email customerservice@kifaru.net and state your intention of attending and supply the following data: your name and address and phone number and the number of attendees in your party. Angie will send you a return email with instructions of how to get to the site and perhaps some what-to-bring items I haven't cited here. Car pooling can be arranged here on the Board and via PM's.

Let's Rendezvous Kifaruites!

Patrick

Patrick
04-07-2012, 05:07 PM
I suppose I should say that in addition to shooting and eating there is also plenty of opportunity for hiking and exploring the area, which is frankly a ten on the Scenic Beauty scale. The elevation is crowding ten thousand feet. Catching up with each other, meeting new Rendezvouers, telling tall tales, inspecting new gear, and perhaps some howling at the moon is always included in the festivities.

Kmassaro
04-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Emails to customerservice@kifaru.net are bouncing back....

Huntsman22
04-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I gotta miss my first rondy this year. My boy's collitch grad-iation is that weekend in Kansas ....

Patrick
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Try angie@kifaru.net

Smokepole
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I gotta miss my first rondy this year. My boy's collitch grad-iation is that weekend in Kansas ....

What?? You're jiving me man!!

flamingo 7
04-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Wow, the rendezvous without Huntsman22 is going to be like alcohol free beer. You'll be missed my friend. Congrats to your son.

thewolverine
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Graduation in Kansas? K State in Manhattan?

Sawtooth
04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Dang, Donnie! We're going to miss you!

gonehuntn
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
I'll bring my cooking disk again for the Saturday night feast. Everyone is welcome to throw on whatever they'd like and I'll cook it up. However...I work for beer!

Jon S
04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Don will be missed for sure, if a few of us each bring a brick of .22lr ammo, we should be able to keep a small part of his legacy intact. I will bring some .22 rifles for kids to shoot, have a 39a, a single shot from Montgomery Ward's that my dad made the stock for in high school shop class and a TC Classic semi that is in great shape and can be used with very close adult supervision.
Eric, keep that disk hot, should be a fun time.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-10-2012, 08:10 AM
It looks like E-man and I will be missing our 2nd in row due to a baseball tournament conflict. Bummed! :( If that schedule changes we will be there for sure.

If any of you Colorado folks want to watch some youth baseball this weekend, we will be playing in a tournament this 14th, 15th in Longmont. PM me if you would like details.

Jon S
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I will start doing a rain dance for whatever part of town E-man's tournament will be held in. I figure if it rains from now until mid May, things will be so wet they will cancel it and he can come have some lemon cookies with me.

Bushcraft
04-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I've already got a week booked solid in May in Washington D.C. speaking with legislators on behalf of SCI and hunters everywhere. So, unless something opens up in my calendar, it looks like I'm going to miss out on the CO Rondy again this year. I look forward to living vicariously through all your reports and seeing a few more close-ups of Smokepoles new 7mm Mashburn.

Smokepole
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
It looks like E-man and I will be missing our 2nd in row due to a baseball tournament conflict. Bummed! :( If that schedule changes we will be there for sure.

Bummer, send bacon!!!

flamingo 7
04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
+1 on the bacon.

mtnali
04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
EVERYONE! Email angie@kifaru.net if you wish to come please!!
Sorry about the wrong email...

Scoutin' Wyo
04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
I will start doing a rain dance for whatever part of town E-man's tournament will be held in. I figure if it rains from now until mid May, things will be so wet they will cancel it and he can come have some lemon cookies with me.

Eastern Longmont.

Just don't start dancing until after this weekend, because we will be at those very fields.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Bummer, send bacon!!!

Bacon will be made available in WY during the antelope rifle season. Don't catch the flu this year and you can share some bacon and lemon cookies with Jon & Eman.

Ermine
04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I will be there with Ruger.

Smokepole
04-13-2012, 04:41 AM
Bacon will be made available in WY during the antelope rifle season. Don't catch the flu this year and you can share some bacon and lemon cookies with Jon & Eman.

Don't have to twist my arm for that!

Just one question though......Jon's not doing the cooking is he?

Hasher
04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Looks like I should be able to make it this year.

Some one bring some sort of grilling apparatus and I will drag utmy Elk brats!

I will bring a few fun toys and maybe I can find somethign equally as fun as the double rifle from last year.

OpsBulldog
04-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Patrick;

I think Mrs. Bulldog has a little bit of the Cheddar-flavored popcorn left, but she's told me that you must bring some of that red wine you introduced her to last year!

Even-trade! Wow, I don't even get those terms!

Patrick
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Ops, That's a done deal! Tell the Mrs. the wine is a Malbec, from Argentina, in the event she wants to practice 'tween now and Rondy. (I reckon I'm just gonna have to wait for my popcorn...snif, snif).

See y'all there!

BuckarooMedic
04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Some day I'll make it, some day . . . . .

Smokepole
04-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Looks like I'll miss this one, I'm scheduled to be working on the east coast that weekend.

flamingo 7
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
So, I won't get to shoot that 236 Remington with all the fixens? Man, this will be a spare year.

Sawtooth
04-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Smoke, that's bad news. If you're around the second or third week of June, and I'm not guiding yet because of high runoff, give me a holler.

Smokepole
04-28-2012, 09:02 AM
So, I won't get to shoot that 236 Remington with all the fixens? Man, this will be a spare year.

I'll send the .238, with a screw-on muzzle brake so you guys can manage the recoil.

mtnali
04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
So Last year there was an area near the shooting range set up for the kiddos/young adults, with a couple of Adults giving them pointers. I was wondering if anyone was planning on setting that up again this year? Our friends 14 year old son still talks about that from last year.

MojoSlim
05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
I'll bring my cooking disk again for the Saturday night feast. Everyone is welcome to throw on whatever they'd like and I'll cook it up. However...I work for beer!

Beer of preference?

MojoSlim
05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Also, I'd like to make a request for gear to bring. I'm looking at buying a Vortex Spotting Scope (looking at the Viper HD and Nomad - leaning towards the Nomad) and possibly a pair of Viper HD Binocs (10xs). If any of you attendees might be willing to lug it if you got it, I'd be quite appreciative and will happily share my beer/whiskey stock with you :)

As for gear of interest that I'll be bringing, well, I got a Purcell Trench Grill (Streamside Packer) and an Alpine Bank's Fry Bake, if anyone is interested in checking them out. Also, hope to have a home-made shelter ready by then (in the works).

Thanks and see ya'll soon.

gonehuntn
05-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Beer of preference?

Anything by Leinenkugel Brewing Company. Aw...who am I kidding? Any beer that's cold! LOL!

Sawtooth
05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Anything by Leinenkugel Brewing Company. Aw...who am I kidding? Any beer that's cold! LOL!

I've never known you to be picky. :D I think your favorite is the same as mine. OP. Other People's. :D

gonehuntn
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I've never known you to be picky. :D I think your favorite is the same as mine. OP. Other People's. :D

I like a little Jamason too but I better not steal the boss man's thunder.

Smokepole
05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
So Last year there was an area near the shooting range set up for the kiddos/young adults, with a couple of Adults giving them pointers. I was wondering if anyone was planning on setting that up again this year? Our friends 14 year old son still talks about that from last year.

If I can make it up this year I'll be happy to pick this up. Looks doubtful at this point though, I give myself a 20% chance of being there, due to travel for my job.

Jon S
05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I will take a shift or two, I spent some time last year with .22's and a few kids. I will have the fambly up there this year and will want to spend some quality time with my Kimber (we might bring her Tactical Pro II as well) so can't volunteer for the whole time, but love showing kids how to shoot.
Looking forward to a great weekend,
Jon

Sawtooth
05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
How many of you, if any, are interested in an on-the-water tenkara clinic on Saturday afternoon? I'm willing to provide it, but will not do so if it takes away from the shooting events on Saturday. I'm thinking about mid to late afternoon on Saturday. There's some water within a short drive of the rondy site that we could use. We may not catch lots of big trout, but I can cover the basics. Let me know!

MojoSlim
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
How many of you, if any, are interested in an on-the-water tenkara clinic on Saturday afternoon? I'm willing to provide it, but will not do so if it takes away from the shooting events on Saturday. I'm thinking about mid to late afternoon on Saturday. There's some water within a short drive of the rondy site that we could use. We may not catch lots of big trout, but I can cover the basics. Let me know!

Nautilus and I will be down for a clinic!

mgutman
05-09-2012, 10:21 PM

In! (need to make this at least 10 characters)

thewolverine
05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I would like to donate a Single Malt as I have a proposal that just came up, so am screwed for this year :(
..Just need to figure out how to do a "partisan link-up"

Jon S
05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Mr. Wolverine,
Where in CO are you, I am sure someone here can do a "partisan link up", especially if there is a single malt involved.
Sorry to hear you won't be there, next year!

Smokepole
05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Well, my trip back east got canceled so I am gonna make it up there. Probably bring a shootin' iron. See y'all there.

flamingo 7
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Make sure it's that 236 Remington with the muzzle brak, bipod and Nightforce. I'd bring mine, but got the word this morning, that the weekend looks to be all work and no play :(

Kmassaro
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
He may not bring the 236 Remington because he'd have to repaint the pink stock.

OpsBulldog
05-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Breaks my heart to say this, but the Mrs. and I won't be able to make it. Having opened a new business (The Gun Store at Centennial) earlier this year, I really thought I had it nailed down where I could break away for a couple of days.

I was wrong.

Y'all be in my thoughts this weekend!

Sawtooth
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Bulldog,

We'll miss you, but a big congratulations on the start of your new gun shop! Awesome!

Kmassaro
05-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Opsbulldog, that's yours? I'll have to head down there and say hi...hope it goes very well for you, looks like a good place.

flamingo 7
05-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Belay my last post. Peacve has broken out and I'm free to go! Packing now:)

Smokepole
05-17-2012, 07:14 AM
He may not bring the 236 Remington because he'd have to repaint the pink stock.

Nahhh, that's not it. I won't bring it because the .236 is just one of those antiquated, under-powered relics of the past that only the crustiest of Antedeluvians could appreciate. So I sold it to elmbow. He said he'd paint the stock a more manly color; fuschia with gold little sparklies I think he said.

Me, I'm bringing a brand new .239 Winchester. It's got way more knock-down power than the .236, it's good enough for anything in the lower 48.

mtnali
05-17-2012, 07:55 AM
It is Rendezvous time! The staff is trickling out of here to get up there and help with the tipi and range set up. Tomorrow will be minimal staff here in the building. Just FYI for anyone trying to get through. If you can't reach us, please leave a message and we will get back to you Monday morning. If you really need to talk to us, just head on up to the "Rondy"!
Drive safe and enjoy the scenery if you are joining us!

MojoSlim
05-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Great to hear. See ya there!

Sawtooth
05-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Yahoo! (am I up to ten characters yet?)

Smokepole
05-20-2012, 05:20 AM
To Patrick, Kevin M., and the rest of the Kifaru crew, once again great show and thanks for hosting. Sorry I had to leave early, had to take care of business back in town. Enjoyed it though!

gonehuntn
05-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Smokepole,

I heard you were responsible for our "wakeup call" Saturday morning. For a minute there I thought Don had showed up! There's nothing like the sound of a rifle blast followed by the smack of a metal target (1000 yards down range) at 0600!

It was great to see everyone! It's always a pleasure spending time in the back country with like minded folks.

Here's the link to the cooking disks for those who asked...http://www.southwestdisk.com

Smokepole
05-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Come on man!!! It was at least 0615, I checked.

If Don had been there, it woulda been 0545........

PS, it was good seeing all you guys, sorry I couldn't stay for your disk chow-down, I'm sure it was worth the trip up there.

Huntsman22
05-20-2012, 07:58 PM
So. I'm driving to my kids graduation in Kansas saturday morning and get a text from ol' Smokepole. He was out working on the long steel and needed a spotter. But all you lazy dogs were still in bed, failing to take advantage of the best time to shoot. Now my old buddy Smoke wouldn't have had that problem if'n I'da been there. Missed y'all, see ya next year. Get up the pics, guys.....

Scoutin' Wyo
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
So. I'm driving to my kids graduation in Kansas saturday morning and get a text from ol' Smokepole. He was out working on the long steel and needed a spotter. But all you lazy dogs were still in bed, failing to take advantage of the best time to shoot. Now my old buddy Smoke wouldn't have had that problem if'n I'da been there. Missed y'all, see ya next year. Get up the pics, guys.....

Crazy, I was driving to my boy's baseball tournament and got a txt from Smoke looking for a spotter too! Hope you were able to verify your points of impact Smoke. Next year I'll be there Bud!

GOT PICS??

singleshot
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Same thing happened this morning. No one would get up until 7:30 or 8am. No spotter. Wanted to see if my sillywet gun would shoot 1000. Finally started shooting my Buckmark.

Smokepole
05-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Actually, I didn't need a spotter, I was just missin' old Uncle Don. And Scoutin', truth be told, I don't even know how to tex.

thewolverine
05-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Jon S,
I am in Monument now and almost finished my work. Maybe I can just tote it to Golden and let Patrick and all of you take it next time around, even if I am there. I have missed too many due to work. I have to get my priorities straight :)
I will try and find something special.

larryschwartz
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Pictures!!!! We need pictures!!!!

Nautilus
05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone at the 2012 rondy, what a fun time! (with any luck ill have a more detailed trip report soon...) I'm looking ahead to the CO back country rondy already, hope to show up with a tenkara rod (thanks for the clinic, sawtooth!) anyone have an idea of when the back country rondy will be?

tendeerfeet
05-21-2012, 06:00 PM
This Moth was a good friend

Sawtooth
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
anyone have an idea of when the back country rondy will be?

No, not yet. I would predict the first or second weekend of August. I'll post something in a month or so.