PDA

View Full Version : OK, now that the excitement on the KU packs has settled down

HFlier
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
OK, now that the excitement on the KU packs has settled down, can you guys that are long time Kifaru fans tell me if you are still tickled with your KU pack? There has been some time to get some miles on these packs and I would love to hear some feedback - post wow this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am thinking about buying a 3700 and just want to hear what the thoughts are now that some trail time has taken place.

Thanks,
Ron

sab
04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
HFlier:

Sawtooth probably has more miles on his KU3700 than anyone. I'm sure he'll be along to answer your questions, but he spends a lot of time in the field, so he may not be quick to reply. You might try PMing him.

Regards,
Scott

Sawtooth
04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Well, it just so happens I'm NOT in the backcountry tonight, but I was the first half of this past week...carrying my beloved KU 3700! I'm not much of a bread eater, but I do feel the KU line, and in particular the 3700, are awesome packs. The 3700 seems to fit my load and body really well. Others need the 5200. If you're a backpacker and hunter who really watches pack weight, these packs are what you're looking for. There are a lot of other ultralight packs out there, but they just don't carry the load that the KU packs do. Most of them are designed for loads around 25 pounds or so. Not so with the KU packs. I've had around 75 pounds of meat in mine, and routinely train with a 40-pound bag of wood pellets. My normal three season backpacking load weighs around 25-30 pounds now. My hunting load is around 40. The ability to squash a 3700 down and use it for day trips out of base camp is handy too.

As far as the excitement over the KU line settling down...well, in my case it hasn't. Every time I load mine up and head out I just marvel at the design, workmanship, and capability of my pack. I haven't used either my Late Season or my Longhunter since I got my KU3700. I decided to keep both since one was a gift and I can loan the other out from time to time. :D

If there are specific questions about the KU3700, fire away!

HFlier
04-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Sawtooth:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a response. You said what I wanted to hear. I have a Longhunter which I really like and if the 3700 is enough to make you leave the LH at home, it has to be a damn good pack!

Thanks,
Ron

beachbunny
04-03-2012, 06:46 AM
yup. i'm waiting on my 5200 now so i don't have to lug the mmr around anymore even though training with dive weights in it is a good thing. i'm looking forward to seeing how compressible it is under partial load. thanks

Phil
04-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Sawtooth took the words right out of my mouth. I own a ku 3700 and Longhunter Guide, 90% of my backpacking is done with the ku. phil

wolfmen
04-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Another KU lover. I only use it for backpacking. It carry very well as usual. No regret to sell my EMR.
Only one thing I need to compromise, the fabric is quite soft if I want pack the sharp as tradional backpack. I have do some trick that I will put the short sleeping pad around the pack. It makes the pack firm and pack easier. But if I buy again, I will buy KU3700.

Maybe my KU 5200 need some rest now because my T2 just arrived .

BuckarooMedic
04-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Good info everyone! I can't wait for my KU3700 to arrive this month!

Take care,

Ermine
04-06-2012, 08:39 PM
The word to describe the KU packs is....simply amazing! I still can't get over how feather light they are, yet they carry heavy loads with ease!

chippewawarrior
04-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Sawtooth,
1. Do you run the bag slick or with extra pockets when hunting? If so, what pockets? KU long pockets, possibles or belt pouches?
2. Do you feel the need for the upgraded belt to carry heavier loads of meat?
3. Does your belt have power pulls?

Sawtooth
04-11-2012, 06:41 AM
chippewawarrior,

Sawtooth,
1. Do you run the bag slick or with extra pockets when hunting? If so, what pockets? KU long pockets, possibles or belt pouches?
2. Do you feel the need for the upgraded belt to carry heavier loads of meat?
3. Does your belt have power pulls?

1. It all depends! When hunting I typically have a bigger load, especially later in the fall. Those times I add side pockets and a medium pod, as shown in this photo from October 2010, the day before the season opener for first rifle season.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/P102094821.jpg

Other times, when I don't have as big a load, I run a slick pack. I left Patrick on his own to finish up the week hunting, so I had less to carry since I left the stove and a few items with him.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/P10209952.jpg

All other times I run a slick pack.

2. I have not felt a need to have any belt but the one that came with my pack. I've had as much weight in my 3700 as I could physically carry. Loads that you have to find a log, boulder, or other support to even get the pack up on your back. No problem.

3. I don't have power pull on my belt. My pack is an early prototype that I started testing before the production packs were offered for sale. Patrick and I have commented about how it's the first and lightest weight KU3700 ever made because it's missing a few things, i.e., power pull, cordura bottom, etc., as you can see in some of my photos.

Tim in Washington
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Are the K U belts avail. with power pull now ?
Tim

Phil
04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Sawtooth, are those 24" or 22" stays that you are using? phil

HFlier
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Sawtooth has convinced me, just put a KU 3700 on order. Tick Tock... Tick Tock...

Sawtooth
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Sawtooth, are those 24" or 22" stays that you are using? phil

I have 22" stays in my 3700. I'm 5'7" and they're perfect.

HFlier
04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Sawtooth, I ordered 24" inch stays and I am 5'7". I asked Angie and she said that is fine for my size, what do you guys think?

Sawtooth
04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Hflier,

24" stays are fine for you. Having 24" stays will give you more adjustability for shoulder lift, which will become increasingly more beneficial the more weight you have in the pack. There's really no downside to having the 24" stays. If you're ever going to pack over about 70-75 pounds in it, the extra shoulder lift will be a good thing. If I were physically capable of carrying much over 75 pounds of meat, off trail and in the backcountry, I'd go for 24" stays.

HFlier
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Mel
04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
HFlier,

Lots of good input here from Sawtooth and the rest, and I just wanted to add that the KU packs have the Precision Lift system that will allow you to adjust your lift strap angle. So at your height with the 24" stays, you will still be able to have the proper lift strap angle.

Mel

HFlier
04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
This just keeps getting better.

Take-a-knee
04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
I haven't had the chance to use my KU3700 pack as much as Saw but I am quite satisfied with it as a hiking pack. I'm running a KU E&E on the back/front. I'm still leary of the fabric holding up as a hunting pack. A KU5200 in a more robust fabric is a pack I hope to see one day.

HFlier
04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I thought they both used the same fabric.

Take-a-knee
04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I thought they both used the same fabric.

They do. I just wish I could get the same pack in something other than the Paraglider fabric. BTW, 24in stays on a KU 3700 work great for me.

oldpinecricker
04-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought the material in the KU line was susposed to hold up just fine for hunting use, and everyday tripage use? Didn't Patrick test this product out for something like 11 years?

karlk
04-19-2012, 03:22 AM
I replaced my ancient Kelty with a KU3700 and a KU E and E. I have only had a chance to get out once with the 3700 since I got it, but I have been using my E and E for my jobsite bag. I work in construction and mine is filled with tools, files, it gets thrown down on the jobsite, etc., etc. After seeing how it holds up, I have no worries about the fabric. It is a bit crinkly, so during hunting season I wonder how it will do? Once the 3700 is packed full I don't notice it. When the pack or e and e is "loose" or not filled completedly is when I notice it.

Any thoughts on the fabric noise or am I being paranoid?

Thanks

BuckarooMedic
04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I just received my KU3700, KU Koala and a few other miscellaneous items yesterday. I am very impressed with the pack, especially how light it is. I sold all my Kifaru military line packs to get the KU. I was very hesitant about doing so (retrospectively; it was due to the fact that selling all my military gear was the "final" act of closing that part of my life). Now, I'm very glad I did.

I plan on taking it out for a quick hike this AM. The fabric is a little crinkly here in the house. It will be interesting to see how "noisy" it is on the trail.

Thank you Patrick/Kifaru for another quality product!

Take care

Dan_Smith
04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
I purchased a KU3700 4 months ago slightly used with the 22" stays and I'm 5-10 and 170lbs. If I had not been cheap and bought new, I would have gone with the 24" stays, but the website mentioned people under 6' should be fine with the shorter stays. I'm on the cusp of being too tall for the 22" stays and now realize I have a freakishly long torso with a 30" inseam on my pants. If my legs were normal length, I would be over 6' tall.

With that said, I love the pack. However, unless the pack is full, the long pockets can't be tightened down enough and flop around. Not a big deal, as if you have room in the pack, you don't necessarily need to take the long pockets on the trip.

Here's the other items I purchased for use with the pack and my thoughts on each item.

2 long pockets - See notes above. Great when the pack is chuck full, not so good when the pack isn't stuffed to the brim.
2 hip belt pockets - Love these. Best and most useful purchase for these packs. House flash light, fire steel and other small items I need to grab quickly.
1 Grab It - Another must-have item used to carry bulky items on the outside of the pack
1 water bottle carrier - I could go without this the next go around, but does house my Snow Peak 700 ti mug with my 1L Nalgene nested inside. However, be careful on how you configure your pack. If you put the water bottle on the side where it's supposed to go, You can't lash a long pocket on that side of the pack where they balance out nicely. You have to get creative on how you lash the long pockets on the pack since the water bottle carrier gets in the way. If the pack isn't full, it flops around with the velcro lashing point. Be aware of how you want to configure the pack before you purchase a ton of the pockets, as not all are compatible with each other, especially if you want to hang long pockets on the sides of the pack with the water bottle carrier.
1 Inner pocket that I hang inside the bag to hold small items and toiletries.

Most of my gear including my tent I would consider ultralight, including a 1lb - 40 deg quilt or 2 lb Western Mountaineering sleeping bag, 1 lb Nemo Air Pad that rolls up to the size of a nalgene, 2lb tarptent rainbow and all the rest of my lightweight backpacking/hunting gear. I have to work pretty hard to fill the KU3700 up to the brim unless I'm going on a very long trip with the kids and carry their loads, so I have to be mindful on how I pack when I use the pockets so they don't flop around.

With that said, this is an outstanding pack that I would recommend to others who aren't on a budget and want a great piece of multi-use and modular gear. Time will tell if I end up punching holes in the bag, but that's the trade-off of owning an ultralight pack that has the ability to carry very heavy loads comfortably.

I would ask Kifaru to make the information on the stays more clear and recommend the 24" stays to all except those who are vertically challenged under 5'-8", as the web page isn't very clear. I'll most likely purchase the longer stays.

If anyone has the longer stays and wants shorter ones, hit me up and I'll happily swap. I need the longer ones. That's my 2 cents on the topic.

For the record, Kifaru gear is like crack and is hard to stop purchasing... Good for Patrick and the crew, bad for my pocketbook ;)