PDA

View Full Version : tipi use at established campgrounds

10-30-2003, 11:23 PM
I was wondering how a Kifaru tipi, especially the 8 man size, works at established campgrounds.

Some, such as most BC Povincial Parks, have large gravel pads, which should handle even the 12 man. But in others, the site is divided by a paved parking area, a fixed table and a fire ring, with limited space for a tent. In some US forest service grounds one is lucky to find a 10x10 tent pad outlined by timbers.

Also how smooth does the area need to be, especially around the perimeter, to keep bugs out?

paulj

NYJim
10-31-2003, 05:06 AM
Paul,
8 man tipi's do take up a good deal of real estate, but not much more then a standard style 8 man tent.

Depending on the type of tent platform, what is surrounding it you can always pitch the tipi on top of it and stake the hem outside of the perimeter.

The terrain does not need to be very smooth, because you have some flexibility with how you stake it out. You might not get the tightest pitch all the way around, but you should be able to seal the edge to the ground even if it has some bumps. As for bugs, it has been my experience that floorless designs are always a bit more buggy that a fully sealed in tent. When you pitch, your trapping in whatever critters are already in that area of grass.

-Jim

Levi
10-31-2003, 09:09 AM
I had the same thought myself about pitching my 4 man up in some of the campgrounds in Glacier. Haven't tried it yet, but am pretty sure the print of the tipi is larger than the gravel area they give you to pitch your tent in.
The nice thing about the tipi that I've found is that even if you don't or can't get all the stakes driven in that it still holds up quite well. Used it this spring where there only dry spot of ground I could find was way smaller than the tipi. Was only able to stake in about 3/4 of the stakes, and it held good.

Dave R.
10-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi Paulj

I used my 4 man in established camp grounds in MT and WY in yellowstone. It was not very enjoyable because of the hard gravel surface. Kind of dirty. The dirt got every where, you couldn't avoid it. I was very glad when we cut loose and camped in the Beartooths...we camped in a meadow packed with bear dung, i like that much better than the insta-camp campgrounds in Yellowstone. When your camped on real ground the TIPI is awesome. you really feel connected. I grew up camping with a floorless army pup tent, so the move to a TIPI was a no brainer.

If you are car camping...I'd be tempted to bring a floored tent for camp grounds, and get the tipi out for real camping. I do have to say though, you get a lot of attention in a camp ground with a TIPI...most folks are cluless about them...

One other thing...varmints at campgrounds are used to raiding sites...i had a critter get into my TIPI and chew up a whole roll of TP while I was sleeping.

Dave

11-02-2003, 09:42 AM
My current setup, at least for extended stays in rainy weather, includes a '4 man' tent with 4x7 vestibule, and some sort of tarp or shade over the cook area. I use a length of shade cloth (a porous knitted plastic fabric from the garden shop) as a door mat in the vestibule. This gives me a dry place to remove shoes and make the transition to the clean and dry sleeping area. I use various foam pads, and air mattresses, to temper the roughness of the gravel surfaces.

The idea of using a large tipi with a wood stove sounds most attractive in cooler wet weather, giving a space that is sheltered from both the wind and rain, and can be heated. But I may have to wait until there is enough money in my 'experiments' budget to try it. In the mean time I may test a catalytic propane heater, and try adding walls to my cook shelter (a Kelty Sun Shade).

paulj

TheSimpleton
11-06-2003, 04:03 AM
...Ate a roll of TP?

I guess chewing TP would be pretty quiet...

Dave R.
11-06-2003, 07:03 AM
The critter didnt really eat it, it chewed it up and left it right next to me...must not have been his brand...

dave