PDA

View Full Version : Timberline Slot pocket question, and a couple other random questions

Conrad
03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Slot pocket question: It appears they were designed with extra fabric to accomodate larger object such that the interior space of the pack is not encroached on? I love the idea of slot pockets and their functionality but ultimately sold my ZXR because I felt like once they were stuffed my interior space had dimensioned quite a bit and vise versa. Didn't think I should be having that problem with such a large pack, and all of my gear is ultralight and compact...verify this and I see a T2 or T3 or heck both, in my future.

Trying to decide if I can get away with a T3 and my medium KU pod. I currently have a KU2300, KU3700 and long pockets and an Express. I don't need the long pockets on the KU3700 if I'm traveling light on clothing, thus I'm thinking the T3 can give me the same storage, but a little more organization which I can appreciate without going overboard on pockets. I like the idea of having more lift with the 26" stays in the T2 though. Kifaru has sold me on keeping things relatively "clean" in comparison to my older packs of other brands. I'd consider selling the KU3700 and Express and replacing with T2 and T3. However, I like the zip top on the express for quick access, and a bit cleaner look. I'll hold onto that little KU2300, too cool and light.

Random question: Can we still order grommets on the Timberlines?

Thanks for brainstorming with me, feedback appreciated.

Conrad

Conrad
03-04-2012, 07:29 PM
One other question. Does it come with 3/4" or 1" straps on the arm straps, and do they have a 3-bar slider to attach the gunbearer to?

Thanks,
Conrad

a3dhunter
03-04-2012, 08:04 PM
I fit a GoLite Shangri-La 5 Tipi in one external slot pocket along with one leg of a tripod and a 3 liter water bladder and a spotting scope in the other one.
It doesn't matter if the inside of your pack is full or not, there is extra material there for the slot pocket to be fully used.

Conrad
03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Good deal, I have the same Tipi. Are the pockets about 14 to 18" in depth? I'm assuming they differ between the different models?

Thanks,
Conrad

Aron Snyder
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
The pockets differ slightly in length, but very little.

You could get away with the T3 and med pod, but remember, the T3 (without the pockets)has the same space as the KU 2200.

Conrad
03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking T2 for hunting and hauling out an animal with the taller stays and more capacity. Thinking T3 for scouting and fishing camping trips and practical rifle matches. The zip pockets give me exterior ogranization for tools, extra ammo or fly boxes, etc. Plus I can attach hunting pockets back behind the belt which I think are a good size for bino/rf's which tend to run larger, and I can slip shooting sticks in the slot pocket. T3 gives me a little more versatility over my Express mostly due to the Pals webbing low on the pack.

Do you have 3 bar sliders on the shoulder straps for the gunbearer and is it 1" webbing strap on these packs or 3/4" like the KU's?

Thanks,
Conrad

davesuvak
03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Conrad,

I have a T1 and it has 1" webbing on the shoulder straps for the gunbearer. Both the KU and regular gunbearers will work on the Timberlines.

RockChucker30
03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I've got a T3 and have played around with loadouts. For cool weather I need a medium pod for sleeping bag and a small pod for food.

For warm weather I can probably get by with a small pod and the sleeping bag inside the pack. I've got good gear, but I'm not UL. I don't mind a little extra weight for added comfort.

Conrad
03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Good deal, this helps me out guys. I was asking about the straps and the gunbearer because I took a 1" lifter strap off a Koala and threaded a quick detach flush cup insert end onto it, then ran that strap through the 1" 3 bar slider on my express. Now instead of fiddling with the buckle I just plug right into the flush cup on my AR's and my other bolt guns with tubular forends.

I hear ya on a little extra weight for comfort. I got an Exped down mat this past year and slept like a baby.

Thanks for the help.
Conrad

Mattb
03-05-2012, 10:45 PM
On my T1 the slot pocket capacity is diminished if the man bag is packed really full. I do question how likely it is that would occur in the field, but based on my at home tests stuffing the main bag with sleeping bags, it does cut down the usable space in the slot pockets. My understanding is that, by design, the slot pockets were supposed to accomodate a full sized spotter when the main bag is full (which they will do), but I wouldn't count on putting a lot more than that in there. The question I have is whether one can get the full 7,200 ci advertised? I think it would be tight.