PDA

View Full Version : Day pack when hiking in?

karlk
02-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey guys. I have a 3700 on order and a Daystalker. I live in Ga and we don't have the wilderness areas you guys have out West, but we have some pretty good ones in N. Ga. Enough anyway, to get away from the crowds. I do a lot of pack in bear hunting in the Cohutta Wilderness. I have an older Kelty I have been using. I just ordered a 3700ul to step up to a better pack. My question is, what do you guys use once camp is set up and you head out for the day? I am a traditional archery hunter, and I do not carry a lot of gear during the day. I love my Daystalker, but I am thinking of keeping in the ul frame of mind for this Fall. I know I can strap down the 3700, but I prefer to carry a smaller pack. Maybe something that straps to the 3700? Thanks for any suggestions.

Karl

Mattb
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I'd use the 3700.

Ralph
02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
I would suggest the KU E&E.

robcollins
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
For my day pack, I use an X-Ray with an Omni belt, but from your description, it sounds like you're leaning towards lighter weight loads than that. I've also used a Mountainsmith day pack for everything from fishing with tackle, water, lunch, etc. to mountain biking, hiking, elk hunting. (but I felt this was a bit light for just in case, more comfortable with a Mountainsmith Rock-it, which is just a little bigger version of the X Ray)

Comparable in size to the MtSmith daypack is the Tailgunner, with my Omni belt.. The KU Koala is a bit smaller than that, a little bigger than a loaf of bread... The E&E has the same volume as the Tailgunner II, but is lighter weight. The E&E would slap right on the 3700, and I don't think would be as cumbersome for pulling a bow since it's vertical instead of horizontal. Given that you're not wanting to carry a lot, I'd say either the E&E or, the Koala. Probably more emphasis on the Koala with x-straps if you're really committed to not carrying much..

Huntfun
04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
I have the same question as KarlK though I am not an owner of a Kifaru pack yet. I am seriously looking at getting one of the KU packs to bivy into the back country but would like a smaller pack to use while hunting during the day. I looked at and watched the Youtube on both the KUKoala and E&E and neither of them would I consider a good option for all day hunt. The E&E gets close but the shoulder strap system looks like it would not be comfortable for a day load. I currently use a Nimrod Pinnacle fanny pack style pack with a Hydration pocket and that is the best I have found for day hunting. It is just over 4 pounds. I sold it to a friend and was hoping to find a Kifaru system to fill both bills. How quiet is the material use in the KU packs? It looks like you could compress down the KU but from the youtube demonstrations I watched it sounds too noisy to hunt with. How noisy is this material? Any other suggestions for an ultra light day pack?

Pathfinder
04-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I too am a traditional bow hunter & compound, just depends on the scenario. I use:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/10-x-4-Bottle-Holder-7p574.htm

This carries water & the minimal gear needed. The pouch can hold almost an overnights worth of supplies & you can add on to it with exterior pouches, if needed/wanted.

karlk
04-23-2012, 04:42 AM
How do you carry the pouch?

Pathfinder
04-23-2012, 05:39 AM
At first I took a 50' piece of 550 para-cord & braided it, but then realized (after braiding it all & using it a few times) that it could not be quickly expidited if needed. NOW, I use a 20' piece of green 3/8 nylon rope. I daisy chain it (like electricians do with extension cords) so that if needed for a hanging rope or a drag line or whatever, it can be quickly undone for use. "IF" I use the rope for whatever reason, I use the M.O.L.L.E. strapping on the back to attacch it to my belt. I

I bought a 32 oz Nalgene and a "Firefly" lid (so it doubles as a lantern/short distance flashlight). I also got an Olicamp Space Saver Cup & made a boiler lid (from Youtube).

Will dig it out & take some pics for you today...

How do you carry the pouch?

Pathfinder
04-23-2012, 06:57 AM
As promised:

This link will take you to a "how to" video on making a boiler lid. All it really does is cut your boiling time in half when using the cup to boil water or cook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzuG6xLUo7I

If you watch some of the other videos from the author of the lid (iawoodsman), you can get some really good help on "outdoors projects & fun".

HERE! These might save you some cash... This is the pouch I got, been using it for about 3 years now:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE010-1.html?ingb=Y

Here is the firefly lid:

http://www.amazon.com/Guyot-Designs-FireFlye-Lantern-Bottle/dp/B000LGZWJW

Here is the Olicamp cup:

http://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Space-Saver-Cup/dp/B0059QHNWS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_11

Here is another option (I also use this, but this I use more for rifle hunting & as a main pack for weekends). AND!!!! You can attach the water bottle pouch to the outside of this pack:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/red-rock-rover-sling-bag.aspx?a=704999

At first I took a 50' piece of 550 para-cord & braided it, but then realized (after braiding it all & using it a few times) that it could not be quickly expidited if needed. NOW, I use a 20' piece of green 3/8 nylon rope. I daisy chain it (like electricians do with extension cords) so that if needed for a hanging rope or a drag line or whatever, it can be quickly undone for use. "IF" I use the rope for whatever reason, I use the M.O.L.L.E. strapping on the back to attacch it to my belt. I

I bought a 32 oz Nalgene and a "Firefly" lid (so it doubles as a lantern/short distance flashlight). I also got an Olicamp Space Saver Cup & made a boiler lid (from Youtube).

Will dig it out & take some pics for you today...

karlk
04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
That is a nice set up. I will check out the links in your posting.

Thank you

simonsays
07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I was also pondering this issue. I would like some feedback on this plan.....I own a T2 which I would use to go into the high country fully loaded to bowhunt elk. What I am considering is buying a UL2200 for lighter uses but for my backcountry trips I would remove the stays and belt then roll it up and strap it on my T2 (maybe 1 1/2 lbs??) When I establish camp I would take the belt and stays from my T2 and use the 2200 to hunt out of. Quieter, slimmer, lighter and could still get me back to camp with a cape and backstraps the first trip to grab the T2. Lots of dollars in this approach but what the heck. Comments?

davesuvak
07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
One problem I see is that the T2 belt will not fit on the 2200. The T2 belt has 1" straps and the 2200 has 3/4" hardware. You could fit a 2200 belt on the T2 but the 3/4" straps would probably slip in the T2's 1" hardware. Why not just compress down the T2 and use it as a day pack? I have a T1 and it compresses down to a reasonably sized day pack.

Mel
07-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey Simon,

One solution for your plan would be to remove the KU2200 waistbelt and run it under the top lid of the T2 with the belt ends going down the sides and secured under the side compression straps. An easy fix for what you're wanting to do.

Mel

Curtis C
07-12-2012, 05:34 PM
This is one of the reasons I ordered the Duplex frame with a DT2 bag. I know its a gamble but I am hopeful Kifaru builds a KU bag(no belt or shoulder straps) about 2000ci that will attach to the Duplex frame in the future. Not a heavy hauler, just strong enough for day hunt gear and first load trips. Something that weighs very little and can stuff about anywhere in the main bag till camp is established.

Till then I will try to work with a KU EE and long pocket attached to the frame.

Curtis