PDA

View Full Version : My 4 man Tipi

Macawber
10-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Patrick,
got the tipi in time for the school holidays, seam sealed and went camping in the Snowy Mountains with my son and my sister. Well my sister said it was the most comfortable way of camping she had ever experienced, and it rained every day. I got soaked whilst setting up the Tipi, but I wasn't to worried as soon I would have a warming fire. I had the stove going full tilt and I dried out and was feeling good in no time. Then we cooked a dinner of Ravioli and Bolognese sauce on the stove really good. Next morning, woke up and got the stove going for some condensation and it was about 28 faranheit. The condensation was really not a problem for any of us, but if I'm to get my wife to come along I'll have to get the liner. It rained every day we were there and was snowing at a higher altitude in the park. My son spotted a couple Dingo pups watching us at a distance, they probably visit the area for scraps. I took a couple photos and they were off. One of the things that attracted a lot of attention was the tipi and stove, passerbys asked me a lot of questions about the tipi, it sure is a quality product. I didn't see any other campers at any campsite, to cold for them , but we camped in great comfort. One rainy day I finished off a book I had been reading in the tipi with the stove going, something I normally never do because normally I have to keep moving to stay warm. Next purchase is the longhunter to get back off the road with my tipi to hunt the mighty Sambar deer. Patrick, your products are a credit to you and your people, your a bottler!

Bob

Forster
10-14-2003, 05:31 AM
I have to ask. What's a bottler?

Patrick
10-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Macawber--

Well, I'm delighted to your report (and kind words) from Down Under. Thanks very kindly.

Your account of the simple pleasures of reading a book in the tipi brought back vivid memories of my stint using unheated tents in cold weather, long ago. Turning pages whilst wearing mittens is a bitch! It points right to my credo of living instead of surviving in the outback.

OK, in addition to defining "bottler", how 'bout a description of that mighty Sambar critter, eh?

Macawber
10-15-2003, 04:01 AM
Patrick
the Sambar deer, is what every Australian deer hunter hopes to have a chance at. Some blokes have been after them for years and haven't got one, which includes me. I've got pretty good red's and fallow in my deer hunting but the Sambar is the real tough one. They are a very big deer, Stag's can go well over 500 lb's and antlers are 3X3 and can be 3 to almost 4 feet. They inhabit a very large area of the Australian Alps, in the watercourses that come down from the tops, they like to be close to water. The way to go about hunting them is what is referred to as "walking them up". Look for sign, rub's, wallow's, etc. They have very good hearing, so you have to be careful about your movement's. If its been dry it makes it extra hard to get on to them. I have a 30-06 for Sambar, but a lot of people say you need a magnum to make sure you bring em down. The Sambar came from India, to Australia in the 1860's and was sometimes called Indian Elk by the British colonials. Great colonial hunters like Jim Corbett and Samuel Baker held them in the highest esteem as a game animal. They can be hunted year round and theres no bag limit, most of the high country is National Park and State Forest so theres plenty of public land to hunt them on. Another thing the country they inhabit is beautiful. I guess Sambar is a bit like your Elk, a mighty fine creature in a beautiful country. Whilst writing this, in the back of my mind is my next hunt to those hills where the Sambar live-can't wait.
Forster
a bottler is a person you hold in high esteem, Patrick's a bottler.

pinepig5
10-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Is the term "bottler" derived from the guy who supplies the beer?

Macawber
10-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Forster
thats a good question, and after looking it up in the Macquarie dictionary of slang, they said its derivation was unknown. The bottler is the bloke who bottles the beer, and I'm sure beer drinkers think highly of the Bottler!