PDA

View Full Version : KU carbon fiber/wood stays question . . .

BuckarooMedic
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
OK, so here's a question that came to me last night; are the stays "sealed" somehow? I was wondering how the wood holds up to extreme humidity, dryness and rapid fluctuations between the two. If I were to take a KU pack to the jungle, would the wood expand and potentially damage the rigidity of the stay? On the other hand, what about going to the desert from a moderately humid environment? Could the wood contract enough to also damage the stays?

Has anyone had any issues with high or low humidity and the new stays?

Patrick/Mel, how about you two? I know the packs themselves have been extensively tested, what about the stays?

This all came to me last night when my wife and I were waxing our furniture and noticed some fine cracks in our dining room table from a few weeks of very dry weather.

Thanx!

Patrick
02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Buckaroo I went straight at this issue and submerged a stay under water for 24 hours. No problem. The sealing is serious. Subsequently the guys using 'em have been all over soggy places as well as arid climes. I've run 'em myself in locations that are bone dry for a period and then sock in with rain for days. You should be fine.

BuckarooMedic
02-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanx Patrick! Appreciate you testing one for me.

I'm thinking there is a KU in my very near future . . . Now, I've just got to decide which one!