PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good set of packable rain gear. what do you guys have?

jhedine
02-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Just like the title says. I want a good set of rain gear that truly holds up and I can wear while hiking and not lose a kidney. What are you guys using and what do you think is the best.

Thanks again

James

Smokepole
02-04-2012, 06:12 AM
I routinely use three sets. For going light where I know I won't be bucking brush I carry a Cabela's Space Rain set. It's plenty waterproof and works on the trail, but not the most durable. It's about as light an compact as you can get; great for the day pack too, when you need to carry something. For trips where I'll be moving through brush and/or lot of rain is expected I bring the Sitka Gear. Durable, but not light or compact. For in-between, I use Marmot Precip. I need to replace those, they're getting old, I'd like to hear what works for others.

jhayes6405
02-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Working for the gov I get mountain hardwear at 40% off so I have quite a bit of their gear. For my last trip to the Smokies I had the jacket they call Ampato and some pants from them as well. They both use their latest version of Gore called DryQ. Normally I don't put any weight in what a company tells you their products can do. These things really work though. I never once over heated. I wore them for the last two days straight and did everything from waist deep stream crossings to speed hiking up what we southerners consider mountains and never got cold or hot. Just what I considered just right the whole time. I had light weight layer 1 wool top and bottoms and thats it underneath. The conditions ranged from snow, freezing rain, wind, to warm afternoons.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Ampato%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4327,default,pd.html
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Epic%E2%84%A2-Pant/OM3880,default,pd.html

So if you have a .mil or .gov, it may be worth your while to check out their deal. I would normally not pay MH prices, but with the discount it doesn't hurt quite as bad.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MountainHardwear_US-Site/default/ProPurchase-Start

Ermine
02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
kuiu rain gear is legit

Take-a-knee
02-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Marmot Precip gets it done for me. I've since bought some high dollar stuff but haven't really used it. I've bought APCU stuff and the Event Thru-hiker jacket. The side-zip Precip pants work/fit better than any rain pants I've ever used. Sierra Trading usually has the Precip stuff for 60-70 bucks, they have a nice forest green color, the pants are always black.

I wore the Precip on an AT hike last MAR with rainy days in the 40's. I never overheated even humping a pack uphill, those pit zips make the difference.

Smoke, if your Precip has delaminated, they will replace it.

oktec60
02-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I've been using Patagonia Rain Shadow stuff for awhile now with no complaints about how it has performed. Over that same time period my wife has been using a set of Marmot Precip's without any complaints as well.

robcollins
02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd recommend Otte gear, I found mine about 6 years ago on ebay for about half price what it goes for now. Fished for a week in late may a few years ago about 20 miles east of Lake Winnipeg, rain and snow mix the whole time, out in a 14' boat trolling and jigging.

Lost Arra
02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
A ReviveX treatment did wonders for my old Precip jacket.

Kuiu rain gear is terrific but not in the Space Rain category for packability. More like Precip.

I just picked up Outdoor Research Foray jacket for $89 but have not put it to the downpour test yet. Nice features like full-length pit zips.

Kevin Hans
02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
For the past several years I've used my Frogg Toggs. Very light weight, but not overly durable for busting through brush, although I have never had them fail me. You can't beat the price either.

BigWave
02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Cabelas Space Rain. Nicely packable. Works very well. Could be more durable, but if you're careful with it, it will be fine!

Uncle Jake
02-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Precip works for me, whether fishing, mtn. biking, or hunting. Pretty durable.

jhedine
02-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! I'm leaning toward the OR Foray jacket and pants. I like the pit zips style and color options.

jhedine
02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
So I just pulled the trigger on a Mountain Hardware Exposure Parka. I know its not as packable as the precip or the OR Foray but for the price I couldn't pass on it. Ill still be getting a lighter more packable jacket/pant combo soon. I tried on the Precip today and liked how it fit. I'm torn between the OR Foray and the Precip. Guess I'll just have to make a decision

rnd3789
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Cabelas Space Rain for most of my hunts--whitetail, elk turkey etc. When I went to Alaska in 07 for my bear hunt I bought a Peter Storm ( used to be Helly Hansen, I think ) 3/4 length jacket. It worked great for all day hunting in the rain. Didn't buy the pants and didn't regret it. I might add we were hunting the beaches of Prince William Sound so we did not have to climb much. If we would have had to I would have built up a huge sweat. I shot my bear on a salmon creek with my longbow and it went straight up the other side. We found it after only a 100 yard climb. I was already sweating bricks. But I was too jazzed to notice it much.
Nick

jhedine
02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
So I got to try out my Mt hardwear parka tonight. I purchased a XXL after trying on a similar Mt Hardwear jacket at REI. I'm 6'2 and about 225lbs and this jacket fits me a little big with only a fleece. However when I added an insulated jacket it fit perfectly. It was hovering just above freezing with the snow blowing sideways. The jacket kept me warm and dry for the couple of hours I spent in the weather. I started a fire and basically sat around testing out the fitment of the hood as well as a few other adjustments. I'm very pleased with the construction and materials Mt HDW used. While its pretty heavy compared to my OR Foray it serves a purpose that the Foray doesn't. The Foray is going to be perfect for a packable rain jacket while this one works for colder weather and is noticeably more durable. all in all I'm very please with both jackets so far.. Of course time will tell

Ralph
02-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I use an EMS rain jacket and trousers in coated nylon taffeta as my heavier-duty set. Even in mid-summer it tends to cool down here when it rains so this set is quite acceptable both as rain and wind protection despite a certain lack of breathability.

My favorite set, though, is an old coated nylon taffeta Kelty anorak paired with EMS rain chaps in the same material. The anorak is pullover with a hood, kangaroo pocket and pass-through handwarmer pocket that allows use of the pack belt without restricting access to the kangaroo pocket. The chaps are much easier to put on while sitting in a canoe and fold up about the size of a bandana.

My third piece with either of these is a Montbell down Inner jacket that stuffs about the same size as the EMS jacket and provides an insulating layer.