PDA

View Full Version : ku5200 vs T2

dotman2
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Is there any reason why i shouldn't get the ku5200 over the T2? Really seems like a no brainer but i wouldn't mind some feesback on pros & cons.

dotman2
02-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Anyone, Patrick, Mel?

Mattb
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
The T2 has built in pockets and the material will likely prove more durable. The KU is lighter and has a bigger main bag. IMO how you pack a pack and just how ultralight you are will ultimately decide which pack you pick. I am not a big "pockets" guy, but ultimately found the KU 5200 to be too spartan in that regard. For organization I hang a couple of pull-outs from the chamber pocket, but they interfere with access to the bottom of the bag.

cmeier117
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Before I knew you could hang stuff from the inside of the K packs I would never have considered the KU packs because I like to have some organization. That said I do have a T2 on order. I have never seen a KU pack and would be curious as to the feel and noise of the material. You are saving 2.5 lbs by going with the KU52000. To me I would rather have the more "traditional" bag material and some added features. But I am not an UL guy by any means.

Ermine
02-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't mind a pack that is "one big bag." Hence why I own a Kifaru Longhunter Guide and a KU pack. The KU vs the T2 are totally different. if you want ultralight go KU. The Timberlines are sick too. The KU will hold up to the abuse, but cordura can be beat a little harder. I like no pockets so reason why I dont have a timberline

cmeier117
02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Ermine-

How would KU packs hold up to blackberry bushes? Oregon has a ton of them and I have a tendency to get pissed when the hold on to me and am not careful when going through them.

dotman2
02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks Justin, you were so right about the kifaru bug :). Ku5200 should arrive in 5 weeks.

DanAdair
02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Would I be correct to assume that the stays, and suspension are pretty much the same between the two packs? I'm new and couldn't find my answers on the search function.

Patrick
02-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Dan, you are correct, same suspension systems.

Ermine
03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Ermine-

How would KU packs hold up to blackberry bushes? Oregon has a ton of them and I have a tendency to get pissed when the hold on to me and am not careful when going through them.

I don't have much experience with blackberry bushes. But I have abused the heck out of my KU (not on purpose) and it has come out looking great.

snakey2
03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't have much/any experience with the KU stuff or the material they are made of but I am familiar with blackberries. Nothing stands up to blackberries over time and the lighter thinner the material the shorter that time is. Blackberries will shred rubberized heavy nylon rain gear given enough exposure. Heavy cordura has been the best "lightweight" fabric for use in and around blackberries that I have used.

cmeier117
03-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't have much/any experience with the KU stuff or the material they are made of but I am familiar with blackberries. Nothing stands up to blackberries over time and the lighter thinner the material the shorter that time is. Blackberries will shred rubberized heavy nylon rain gear given enough exposure. Heavy cordura has been the best "lightweight" fabric for use in and around blackberries that I have used.

I have the T2 and am glad I bought it. But my next pack will be the KU 5200.

DanAdair
03-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Dan, you are correct, same suspension systems.

Thank you sir.

Too bad I bought a used KU5200 :D

I can see a Timberline in my future though