PDA

View Full Version : KU3700 impressions after use.

Fight1
01-26-2012, 06:06 AM
I got my first Kifaru product, a KU3700 this fall and have used it alot for all my outdoor activities. It has been been a workhorse and I've only got a few minor gripes, first is my own fault as I got the short stay option. The second is with the bottom uf the pack and is partially my own fault as well. It rains alot here and I don't use a pack cover, this combination will let water into the pack, but on my pack the bottom material is so waterproof as to retain quite a bit of standing water. Wondering if would be ok to just cut a small drain hole in the fabric?

Thoughts for improvment would be to add sled loops to the belt as an option. Currently I use either an extra set of carabiners(to much noise and I personally don't like the extra movement it introduces to the trace/harness) or attached it to the delta straps if the weight of the sled is low( uncertain as to how smart is is to load these straps, and it is a bit fiddly to hook the harness to pack).
Also I would like to see a mesh pocket that hook up to the pack like the grab-it for bird hunting :) If not do kifaru sell the clips/ toggles so I could DIY something?
Third I was wondering if anybody have used the gunbearer as ski cradle?

F1
edit: I have tried carrying one of my children in the grap-it with a partially loaded pack, while it worked, my daughter was not to happy about the comfort level. So I'm considering the KU cargo chair to have as an option when they get tired. For it to be semi comfortable the attachment point to the pack need to be as narrow as possible, so can the frame of the cargo chair be bent? I would need to make a shallow U shape as close to the pack as possible to allow their feet to hang as straight down as possible.

Jimbob
01-26-2012, 04:15 PM
DIY is the way to go. I have modified a G1 spikecamp and I have put in 22" carbon stays, added loadlifters, made my own gun bearer, made my own silnylon pod, and the weight is 2lb 8ozs. I have a bunch of accessories that I am in the process of making and another member here showed a source for those little oval slide clips. Originally I t ordered some from an outdoor company but they were the wrong ones. Here's what you need:

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/tactical-gear/itw-1-oval-slide

Have fun

jljmonky
01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
With my last order from Kifaru I just asked Angie if she could throw some three-bars in with the order... they provided 10 or so for nothing... GREAT SERVICE... that's why we pay for these things.

MojoSlim
01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Fight1:
Thanks for your observations. I have a KU5200 that I acquired recently, but haven't had a chance to get out and use it in the field. It feels great in simulation in the living room. Regarding your waterproofing issue, I have read here on the forums of people using silicone to seam seal their KU packs to make them water proof. This might be an option, but then again, may just cause your pack to 'completely' fill with water as there'd be no escape once in there (if seam sealed).

Jimbob:
The KU packs use a slightly less wide oval slide clip that is not the same as my G2 Mollex. I can't say for certain that your G1 Spike camp doesn't use the same as my G2 Mollex. I would like to find some of the KU oval slide clips to retrofit some non KU items to work with the KU oval slide clip mounts. Just need to find out their width and where to find them :)

Regards,

MojoSlim
01-26-2012, 04:42 PM
With my last order from Kifaru I just asked Angie if she could throw some three-bars in with the order... they provided 10 or so for nothing... GREAT SERVICE... that's why we pay for these things.

Angie at Kifaru rocks! That's some awesome customer service there.

sab
01-26-2012, 06:12 PM
The KU packs use a slightly less wide oval slide clip that is not the same as my G2 Mollex. I can't say for certain that your G1 Spike camp doesn't use the same as my G2 Mollex. I would like to find some of the KU oval slide clips to retrofit some non KU items to work with the KU oval slide clip mounts. Just need to find out their width and where to find them

Mojo:

They are 3/4". I just ordered some common loops and three-bar sliders from strapworks.com, to make some accessories:

https://www.strapworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PL
https://www.strapworks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MS-F

The common loops are not the same brand as Kifaru uses, and the three-bar sliders are made of a lighter gage steel, but I think they will work just fine.

Scott

MojoSlim
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the infos. I should have known you'd be the man with the knowledge. Post a thread with your finished accessories!

Take it easy!

Fight1
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Just a quick update, my pack is holding up fairly well, but starting to see signs of stretching where the pack and frame is stitched together on the top. I am also now certain that my stays are to short, will get the 24s before this years hunting begins. The pack will carry 25 liters of water internally with a 11 propan tank in the grab-it and still be semi comfortable, being a soft pack the momentum of a heavy object in the grab-it can make it dance a round a bit. Most of my use have been in dense pine forrest and abrasion damage is still lower than I expected.
Modding will begin shortly to get it ready for this years above tree line hunt:)
F