PDA

View Full Version : Design Suggestion

Tyde
08-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Mel
The shoulder strap adjustment webbing should be sewn doubled back on the end of the webbing to prevent the webbing from coming completely through the buckle.

I was packing my Rondy last night and as I loosened the right Shoulder strap the webbing went throught the buckle. On all other packs that I have, the webbing is doubled back on the end to prevent this. This may only be a problem with my pack as none of the other Kifaru hunting packs have the quick release and therefore you need to be able to undo the shoulder strap, so it might be that my shoulder straps were put together hunting style with military quick releases (mistakes sometimes happen). But, if the EMR does not have some sort of stop on the webbing there could be a problem. For example, you break into a security halt and go to the prone. As everyone dismounts there ruck half of the men lose a strap and are giving away your position trying to get the strap put back together.

eggroll
08-06-2002, 08:26 AM
most all the webbin straps have been bartacked save for the two lower shoulder straps - these could be bartacked and possibly lengthened slightly in iterations to come.

but then again, you could do what I do - roll it two or three times over and duck it.

egg

Patrick
08-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Tyde (and Egg)--

We intentionally do not tab the bottom shoulder strap to facilitate removing the frame from the pack bag. It is slow, especially with gloves on, to finesse the strap back thru the buckle if the strap is tabbed. It is impossible on the emergency-release buckles we are using on the military EMR's, in fact. HOWEVER, since you can achieve the same disconnect, for removing the frame, on the EMR by just disconnecting that fancy buckle I'm gonna re-think this for that pack. Anyway, I think you understand the objective now. So. What do you guys think--wanna just use the emergency disconnect buckle to do this? I've never accidentally run the strap clear thru the buckle, nor have I heard from a user who has, but the old adage that if it can happen it will...sometime...just might apply here. Let me hear from you. Oh, I'm attending the Outdoor Retailer Show thru the weekend, so it'll be a while before I get back to you. Don't have a laptop. Sorry Egg, but I don't really want one!

Patrick

Tyde
08-07-2002, 08:55 AM
Patrick,
SOP for taking off my ALICE pack was to extend the right shoulder strap fully (to the stop) and then sling the ruck down off my left shoulder leaving the left shoulder strap strill wrapped around my arm while in the prone position. The pack gives you a bit of concealment and is still attached to you for quick retrival. When patroling you only fully take off you ruck for tow things; ORP and Contact. That's just my thoughts on it some of you active duty gunfighters chime in on how you use your ruck. Oh, I will be gone this weekend and next week for SHEEP HUNTING WOO HOO.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Tyde

ORP - Objective Rally Point
Contact - Engagement with the enemy