PDA

View Full Version : Typo in Koala page???

Vernon
01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
The webpage for the Koala KU states the following:

Modularity: will attach to any PALS equipped pack.
Will NOT attach to a Kifaru KU pack or Kifaru hunting pack.

Seems to me that people are showing the Koala attached to KU packs and that was how it was intended to be used. Am I wrong or is the text wrong?

Mel
01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey Vernon,

Sorry for this late response, but I thought someone would have come on here by now with the answer. The website is correct, you can attach the KU Koala to any PALS equipped pack by using Malice clips. The KU and Hunting packs do not have the mounting points to attach the KU Koala as it is primarily designed to be worn with the X-Harness on the front with a Lift Strap Kit when wearing a pack. You could probably lash it to a KU or Hunting pack with a KU Lash Strap Kit.

Mel

Vernon
01-10-2012, 09:15 AM
So when I see Sawtooth's pics of using the KU Koala with a KU3700 he doesn't have it attached to the pack? I guess I'm missing something.

EDIT: I think I've figured it out. So you wear the Koala with the X-Harness (and waist strap?) and then use the Lift Strap Kit to what?, transfer the weight to the pack shoulder straps? Is this arrangement so that you can easily remove your pack without having to fuss much with the Koala, other than unhooking the lift straps?

Jimbob
01-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I can attach a 2x4 to my pack, or moose antlers, or a chair, even a person. Certainly you can attach a koala to a KU pack.

BUT like Mel said it doesn't have the specific mounting points to do it. You need to figure out how to do it yourself (Mel suggested a KU lash strap). Kinda like attaching a 2x4 to your pack, you can do it it just doesn't have the specific hardware to do it.

sorry for the smart alec response I guess it just fit your last smart alec post. :)

Vernon
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Jimbob,

I didn't see anything smart aleck about my post. I'm just trying to understand exactly how this setup works. The Kifaru suspension setups are not your average setups and they use different names than many other companies do. I'm very interested in the Koala and really want to know all about it before parting with my cash.

sab
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I think I've figured it out. So you wear the Koala with the X-Harness (and waist strap?) and then use the Lift Strap Kit to what?, transfer the weight to the pack shoulder straps? Is this arrangement so that you can easily remove your pack without having to fuss much with the Koala, other than unhooking the lift straps?

You are correct. You wear the X-Harness under your pack harness, and then the lift straps take the weight of the Koala and transfer it to your pack's shoulder straps, which in turn transfer it to your hip belt. And, yes, it is designed that way so that you can unclip the lift straps, remove your pack, and still have the Koala on your chest. It really is a nice setup! I have the standard Koala, the KU Koala, and HPG's Kit Bag, and I'm a huge fan of these chest rigs. They are "the bomb", as they say...

Scott

Jimbob
01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Sorry read your post wrong. Reading posts and emails can be a hard way to communicate. I apologize.

Vernon
01-10-2012, 01:04 PM
No problem Jimbob