PDA

View Full Version : Backpacker for Hunters?

Sgathak
08-19-2003, 11:25 PM
from the Hydration thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I subscribe to Backpacker for the gear reviews, overall their theme is a little too tofu oriented for this ole meat hunter, but I takes what I can wheres I can find it. </div></div>Maybe Kifaru should start publishing a No-Tofu(c) magazine for hunters and shooters who are ruckin' their own gear in... Like Backpacker but no articals on how to color coordinate your pack with your socks /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Lets see... some topics:

Getting the right gear
Pick the right Ammo
Semi-Auto's on the Tundra
Lightweight foods for sheep hunting
Rigging your water purifier for gravity feeds
Shelter Do's and Dont's
Wilderness survival
Pro's and Con's of 8pwr vs 10pwr Binos
Survival in bear country (when your wearing a rack of goat)
best tricks for field dressing animals
lightweight fishing tackle
Bow hunting tips and tricks
A section on Expedient field solutions
and

*drum roll*

Patricks Monthly editorial called "Ramblin's"

What do you all think?

Dennis_in_VA
08-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Patrick, sign me up for a couple of years worth of subscripions when it comes out.

me
08-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Great idea!

08-20-2003, 09:05 AM
I think it's a fantastic idea ... start it off as an e-mag and see how it goes. We are, no doubt, talking time and effort here. Publishing is a whole new ball of wax ... not necessarily easy ... or cheep.

DJ
08-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Patrick, jump right on that in your copious spare time, would ya?

imported_Randy
08-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Sgathak,

Good idea, maybe? Don't we get all of that here now? Granted the format is not as organized as it would be in mag form via glossy paper or emag. Now old Patrick, may decide to start charging us for this forum /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I love that I get field editors opinions from all places and conditions, we are all opinionated SOB's and what works for me, may not be the way to go for you, DJ or Kevin. But it keeps my wheels turning.
Now does anyone have any advice as to how I can better color coordinate my socks to my pack? Other than wallowing in the mud. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Randy

DJ
08-20-2003, 09:34 AM
R, when you dress in the dark, it doesn't much matter.

Sgathak
08-20-2003, 09:35 AM
LOL, all things considered it was a 2am fun post... Though I think the idea has merit I honestly doubt kifaru has the time to publish something like that.

That being said, I go into the Grocery Store and see so many niche magazines that are successful, there MUST be a dsire for such a publication on a national level.

I think Boone had a good idea about doing it as a e-mag. Or even better, a Zine.

Patrick
08-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Hey! You gents are having entirely too much fun on this thread. I'm diggin' it too. Just rolled in from a 14 mile day, under load, in gnarly country, and am ripe for such a discussion.

The idea of a publication just for us is very, very appealing. We're basically "backpackers with a purpose", the purpose being the laudable pursuit of fetching meat for the table. I'm not sure what an e-mag is, and I surely don't know what a Zine is. Some elaboration, please? Whatever they are, they sound more doable than an honest-to-goodness paper magazine, with an advertising Department and a circulation Department and all of that. (Shudder!) When would I get to go Ramblin'?! Speaking of niche markets, does anybody have any idea how many of us backpack hunters there are out there? That's really a rhetorical question, guys, because I don't think any of us have a clue on how to find such information. But my gut feeling is that there's not enough of us to support a slick paper magazine.

What sheer fun. Great thread. Sgathak, your proposed "topics" are inspiring. Randy, you are correct--while completely unorganized, virtually everything of interest to us mutts gets dissected here already. But...let's see what turns up after I hear from Sgathak on these e-mag and Zine thingamabobs.

Sgathak
08-20-2003, 06:23 PM
Patrick... Ill fill you in later (maybe friday? Kevin was wanting to do the Vodka then if your ok for that)Id do it now but I gotta head off to work.

Patrick
08-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Sgathak--

Friday is good. You or Kevin gonna let me know when?

Kevin
08-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Patrick and Sgathak,

Friday, it is. 4:30?

Sgathak
08-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Well, Ive got a "function" to go to at 6... unfortunatly.

Sgathak
08-21-2003, 12:42 AM
Kevin, looks like we posted all of one minute apart... I can meet you guys at 430 and be ready to roll by 530 (gotta primp LOL) which should be plenty of time.

Patrick
08-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Kevin and sgathak--

4:30 it is. Here at the Shop?