PDA

View Full Version : Northwest Winter Rendezvous

Bushcraft
12-07-2011, 01:21 AM
....paging Mr. Evan Hill.

scothill
12-07-2011, 09:35 AM
At this point is looks like we are going to try to do it over in Eastern Oregon, think Baker area, since several folks from MT are planning on coming and others are going to try to make it. As a result we are waiting to hear from Jason about a good date for him as he will be the on the ground guy. If he can't make something work then it will be in Central Oregon. As we learned last year and the first year not having someone local to scout and prep a site just doesn't work out to well. At this point we are looking at the end of February to give the white stuff a bit more time to get on the ground. Tenatively we are looking at the last weekend in February. When things are firmed up we will let everyone know.

snakey2
12-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Glad someone is on top of this. I will try and leave time slots open for around then.

SuperBadger
12-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Eastern OR sounds awesome. I should be able to make some time around the end of February.

evanhill
12-07-2011, 03:22 PM
weekend of Feb 24-26, vicinity of Baker City.

Bushcraft
12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Crap. Once again, that weekend is already spoken for with SCI obligations.

Big W
12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I am in, February sounds good. Should give me enough time to make a fresh 80 pound batch of polish sausage.

Bushcraft
12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Sasuage??? Did you bag a good sized sasquatch earlier this fall and not let us in on the details? ;)

evanhill
12-07-2011, 09:43 PM
priorities Allen, priorities.

I know. You already did prioritize.

David in OR
12-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Wait. Eastern OR in the winter...? And Polish sausage...? Next you'll promise me 72 virgins.

evanhill
12-07-2011, 11:42 PM
David, the rules on that haven't changed since biblical times. Anyone who is man enough to keep that many women at the same time happy and off of his back is more than welcome to them. Although Allen does have an intriguing Swedish exchange student story that takes place in the Elkhorns...

David in OR
12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Never mind. ;)

snakey2
12-08-2011, 10:27 AM
One virgin and 72 pounds of sausage sounds better especially if the virgin is a good cook!
Feb. 24-26 is that the official date? If so I will put it on the calendar to nail down the time.

scothill
12-09-2011, 11:29 AM
It is firm

snakey2
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
OK I will attempt to nail down the time.

Jason
12-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Wait. Eastern OR in the winter...? And Polish sausage...? Next you'll promise me 72 virgins.

As the Baker City representative I could probably wrangle up 72 wimmins, but I guarantee that not one of them would resemble a virgin...........or be able to remember back far enough to when they were.

David in OR
12-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Well, I appreciate that, but Snakey has got the proper ratio in mind, I think. I was about to confess my experiments with that biblical-times thing and the resultant floods, locusts, etc., but I thought better of it.

Jason
12-11-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree, one virgin (if there is such a thing) and 72lbs of sausage is the perfect ratio. If she cooks, can cut firewood, and police brass, you've got a keeper, and a woman that all men would respect at a Rondy. You could easily trade her for twenty horses.

Jason
01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Baker Co (along with many other locals) is finally getting a little snow. I'm still brainstorming and scouting the NWWR location. The trick is finding a beautiful spot that snow mobilers don't frequent. They tend to have good taste in scenery, even if they're admiring it at 60mph.

evanhill
02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Jason has found a spot that he thinks is a go about 35 minutes drive outside of Baker OR in some really nice country (near the town of Halfway). Here's a teaser picture:

This takes place a couple of weeks hence - Feb 24th-26th. Sounds like it's an easy mile into the site and there is currently 2-3 feet of snow.

Please chime in on this thread if you intend to go. Thanks!

Big W
02-09-2012, 12:09 PM
If anyone that would like to come but does not have winter gear please speak up. I have extra snowshoes, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, an extra pulk(working on that), etc and will have room in my 8 man for a person or two. I am also going to have a hotel room in Pendelton or La grande thursday night, PM me if you need.

Big W
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Evan, I assume you are bringing the 12 man for the social shelter?

Buck W
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Site picture looks great. I'm at least "halfway" in. A son and his wife might be here that weekend, in which case I will not be there. The good news/bad news is that he may have some critical work things to deal with in that time frame.

Big W, I might be interested in a spot in your 8-man depending.

snakey2
02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
I could use a spot in a tent Big W or Evan otherwise I am set (let me know, I can bring a tent if I need to). What is the ski in like? That is great country, I have hunted out of Halfway some. I wonder if the Mule Shoe Motel in Halfway (it is just like you would imagine it) is still going?

evanhill
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Yep, bringing the 12 man as a social shelter. There will be 3 or 4 sleeping spaces available in it (Thom, you're in), as I'll most likely be T&Eing a new shelter myself. Buck, Big W isn't a snorer, if that's what you were concerned about ;)

snakey2
02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Directions? I will probably head that way Thurs. or Fri. What are other people's plans? I will be coming through Portland and up the gorge if anyone coming is on that route that wants to hitch an ride. What is parking like at the trailhead, do we need some kind of permit?

evanhill
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
directions and more detailed information forthcoming via email or PM in a few days.

oldpinecricker
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Plan on getting there and have nothing else scheduled. Got my dad out of hospital today from brain surgery and also today my grandpa died nearby in the Soldiers Home in Spokane. I'll have to see what my dad and aunt have planned concerning this. I will still do what I can to make it.

Jon S
02-11-2012, 12:00 AM
OPC, sorry to hear of your loss, glad to have your dad back with you. Thoughts and prayers sent your way from snowy CO!

Jason
02-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I just noticed there's some activity on this thread. Oops!

I'm shoeing in on Tuesday to confirm the campsite and scout for dead wood. I'll email Evan with the directions once I'm positive the site I've selected will please everyone. I'd like an accurate vehicle count too if possible. Since the site isn't at a snow park, the parking is more cramped. Should be OK, but it never hurts to know in advance.

The Hill Bros have set the bar pretty high in winters past, so I've got a little pressure to bring my "A" game.

OPC sorry to read about your loss and high stress time right now. Hopefully you can make it to the Rondy and unwind a little.

snakey2
02-13-2012, 04:46 PM
OPC sorry to hear about your Dad and Grandpa. Hope you can make it.

Bushcraft
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
OPC,

I'm sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing and your father's troubles. You have my deepest sympathy. Your grandfather had a long a good life and no doubt left you with many great memories that will not soon be forgotten. May he rest in peace and may you and your family find comfort when reflecting upon the man. I hope your father has a speedy recovery and heals well.

I wish I could make it down to the Winter Rondy as I've always enjoyed your presence and knowledgable first-hand experience around the campfire. Sadly, it isn't it the cards due to prior obligations but I'll be thinking of you guys and wishing I could be at two places at once nonetheless.

I still need to dial in my canyon crosser. Been too damn busy for my own good I suppose and it is not a lot of fun laying out in the wind and the rain. Maybe we can get together over in your neck of the woods and blow the dust out of some rifle barrels later this Spring? A Spring Long-Range Rondy perhaps?

Allen

JBR
02-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Sorry to say that my crazy schedule and strained budget in Feb won't allow me to break free for the winter rondy, but at least I know I will be able to hook up with many of you for the summer rondy, so that makes happy.

oldpinecricker
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Hoping to see some folks again at the winter rondy. Hoping to see more of you folks this summer as well.

Buck W
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
I will be there Friday afternoon. If all goes well tomorrow morning there will be a big pot of elk chili with me.