PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Winter Rondy 2012

Sawtooth
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I can't believe it's another year gone by! Here's the plan for the Colorado Winter Rondy:

Date: 18-19 February 2012

Our winter rondy is a short ski or snowshoe in to a great camp in central Colorado. We have LOTS of snow, great backcountry skiing or snowshoeing right out the front flap of the tipi, an endless supply of stovewood, handy shooting lanes, plenty of parking at the trailhead, and lots of fun and camaraderie in camp. We hope you can join us!

Just an FYI, be prepared for night time temps down to -15, and highs in the 20s. Having a 4WD vehicle will be handy, especially if we get snow during the rondy. All meals are "bring your own", but we always have a lot of fun sharing different food with each other, so it ends up being a potluck the whole time. We have shooting lanes for handguns and hang gongs in the tree limbs for some plinking. We will have either the 16-man or 24-man tipi set up, depending on how many attend. There's additional space for a couple of 8-man tipis and a Sawtooth or two.

Please PM me if you are interested in attending. I'll reply with all additional details.

Ermine
12-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I am hoping to make this one!!

Sawtooth
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm hoping you do too!

Chas
12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
What gun to bring? What gun to bring?

And where are the moose I was promised?

Chas

Sawtooth
12-08-2011, 09:31 PM
The moose are there, just not very many of them. Patrick and I saw a cow moose about four or five miles northwest of there last summer. I think singleshot or Smokepole have seen moose within a mile or so of our rondy campsite. Perhaps one will come by camp this year?

Ermine
12-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I might bring Ruger!

Sawtooth
12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
There was about 17" of snow up there before this latest storm today. By the time the rondy comes there will probably be around 4 feet. Yahoo!

gonehuntn
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
If the doc says I'm haired up and scared over enough I'll go. Jon S said he'd drag my sled in since I've got a broke neck. I didn't tell him I'd probably be sitting in it!

Jon S
12-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I am not sure that I can do the uphill portion, but if you are in it and willing to paddle, I am sure you will make it by nightfall.
Hope the doc says you are scarred up enough, no way you will be scared of a little uphill in the snow.

Sawtooth
12-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I'll push.

tendeerfeet
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm there with my 8 man tipi

Sawtooth
01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm there with my 8 man tipi

Great! Looking forward to having you in camp!

singleshot
01-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Got the skis out on the way home from ice fishing last weekend.
Skied into the rondy site. Here are some very bad quality pictures. I need to learn the snow setting for my camera.
Parking lot was logged to remove the beetle killed trees.
The beetle killed trees at the campsite have been removed. It hasn't snowed for a while so the snow cover is pretty thin.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN0964.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN0956.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN0949-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN0958.jpg

gonehuntn
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
singleshot,

How did it look for firewood? We normally use the beetle killed trees to keep those arctic stoves chugging.

gonehuntn

tendeerfeet
01-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, firewood would be the #1 thing to have for comfortable camping.

Sawtooth
01-07-2012, 11:01 PM
tendeerfeet,

You don't like breakfast at minus 18? :)

Cleve
01-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Wish I could come, but will have to work that weekend -- already making trip to Santa Fe just a few days before.

singleshot
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I went to back to the rondy site to ski the new powder. I tried a new setting for the camera with much better results.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN1020.jpg

There's a few dead trees in there.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN1012.jpg

I don't think we need to worry about a lack of firewood.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN1022.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN1004.jpg
The snow is a little deeper than before.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN0999.jpg
Rondy site is far meadow slightly left of center.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/DSCN1028.jpg
The Parking lot had a lot more trees last year.

Jon S
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Bill, did you stash away any wood for the rondy, I have known you to head up with a saw and make for some great wood in little to no time? I did it one year as well, might be able to head up again between now and the rondy for a day trip to make it a little easier when we arrive to get the outside of our bodies warm, it has never been a problem for the insides, between the good camaraderie and the hooch, the insides were toasty.

Sawtooth
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the pics, Bill. There still looks like plenty of wood near camp. I may sneak in there and cut some wood if I have time. Have saw, will travel.

RandallH
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
I am planning on heading up on friday. Kevin M. is planning the same. I have some new Kifaru kit to enjoy with a few more pieces in the works which I should have before then. What works the best for the bottom of your sled. I was told silicone spray, I am not questioning that as this will be my first trip with a new sled. Just wondering if anyone has tryed different products and what truely works the best. (any specific product?)

Also, does anyone have a set of Packloc sleeve they are willing to part with?:)

gonehuntn
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
RandallH,

Looking forward to seeing you again. I don't expect you'll be bringing Koda on this one. That is, unless you let his hair grow out and knitted him a wool coat! :0)

MojoSlim
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey RandallH,

Look forward to hanging out again at the Rondy. What kind of sled do you have? You bringing Koda along, or might this be a bit too cold for him (being a non dog owner, I know little of their tolerances for cold)?

Good luck on the sleeves... I'm holding on tight to mine :) There was a thread by LabRoamer a while back inquiring about packlock sleeves and someone mentioned these as an alternative: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Sleeves.htm

The thread can be read here: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=27032&highlight=sleeves

Lab-Roamer started the thread and over the course, evidentily bought a pair. Might want to PM him for more details, but according to the thread, it didn't fit right and he returned/sold them.

Take it easy,

mgutman
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
I heard a rumor..albeit from a reliable source there may be a limited edition packlock run coming up. Probably not in time for this winter season but if you can wait you might get lucky. No better place to confirm such a rumor than at the winter rondy. I'm hopeful this comes to fruition as I have a pair of sleeves (sorry RandallH) but no vest! Thinking one in multicam might look mighty good on me.

MojoSlim
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM
I heard a rumor..albeit from a reliable source there may be a limited edition packlock run coming up. Probably not in time for this winter season but if you can wait you might get lucky. No better place to confirm such a rumor than at the winter rondy. I'm hopeful this comes to fruition as I have a pair of sleeves (sorry RandallH) but no vest! Thinking one in multicam might look mighty good on me.

I'd better get the rest of my music gear sold soon to fund some packlock clothes (if rumors are substantiated)! Anyone interested in Vintage Electric guitars? :) Yes, a multicam parka would do nicely to augment my vest/sleeves/pants setup.

RandallH
01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
mgutman you do not want to mix the color of you sleeves with mcam. That will not lookright...so me thinks your sleeves will match my vest better...so I will pay cash for them at the rondy. :o
I am on the fence with bringing Koda. He loves any and all outdoor adventures. Kevin was thinking of doing the Elmer Fudd thing on Bugs and I was thinking of doing the same; that would be hard w/ Mr. Koda. But he loves the snow, I have a hard time calling him in at home when we get fresh snow. I would bring an extra bag and pad for him to sleep with or let him snuggle w/me or both. His hair is alot longer than last summer (Hippie). I am getting some Doggles for his eyes for the U.V. protection and botties for his feet. But the last time I tried booties he wanted nothing to do with them.

I would like to bring my little buddy along and I know he would like to go.
I got a Mil/Expedition sled so I can haul meg loads, it was my Christmas present as I was on Santa's good list this year.

sab
01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Randall:

We lived in Northern MN, 10 miles from the Canuck border, for a few years. It was routinely -20F there, and the coldest day I remember was -54F. At those temps, dog booties become a necessity for any outdoor adventures. If the cold doesn't give them frostbite, the iceballs that build up give them sores between their digits. I'll never forget the first time we put them on our pooch. At first, he stood there trying to shake them off. Then, he gave up and tried to walk. At that point, all he11 broke loose, and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. He looked like he was having a seizure while trying to walk. After a short bit, he just gave up and stood there, tail between the legs, looking at me like I had just gut-shot him. I took them off, figuring he'd had enough trauma for that session. It took quite a few "sessions" before they didn't bother him. I'm sure Koda will get used to them, but definitely don't wait until the Rondy to put them on him. He needs to get used to them, and short sessions seemed to help me break my dog into using them.

Funny side note: One day, the dog was licking himself something fierce (wife home with dog, me at work). My wife called me at work to say that something was wrong - there was puss coming out his unit - and that she was on her way to the vet. A few hours later, she calls me back laughing. I said, "Well, what's his problem?" Through the laughter, she managed to tell me that he had frostbite on his unit! I didn't want to know how that happened. The vet gave him some antibiotics and told us to put a cone on him if he continued licking. Dogs being incredible healers, he was back to normal in just a few days. That dog is long gone, but that is just one of the great stories of him that I'll remember!

Regards,
Scott

Sawtooth
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
What works the best for the bottom of your sled I've heard silicon spray too, but it doesn't really last, especially on ice or corn. My experience has been to just go with the sled as is. No longer than the trip will be to the rondy site it won't matter one iota. I've pulled a sled in powder, packed trails, ice, corn, you name it. I've never had much crud stick to the bottom. If you have a new sled it'll be pretty slick anyway.

tendeerfeet
01-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm looking for a pair of size 45 three pin X-country ski boots. And no I don't have any Packloc sleeves to sell or trade....

singleshot
01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I found both my skis and boots at a second hand store in Dillon. There is also a store in Frisco. For some reason Sawtooth always wants to meet up in front of the store in Dillon and he's always early.

Jon S
01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I have found good stuff at Paul's meeting place as well, can't wait to see you all again, firewood gone might provide some longer distance plinking for sure.

tendeerfeet
01-13-2012, 06:19 AM
I found both my skis and boots at a second hand store in Dillon. There is also a store in Frisco. For some reason Sawtooth always wants to meet up in front of the store in Dillon and he's always early.

There are some really great thrift stores in Dillon. I like this one store that's a cross between a video rental store and an army surplus/survival store. Plus the best breakfast in Summit county is at the Arapahoe cafe.

Sawtooth
01-13-2012, 08:12 AM

That's because there's a cool coffee shop next door. You can often find me lounging on the ratty couch in the back room, reading the second hand books that always seem to be stacked back there. You don't even have to pull off your snow boots to prop your feet on the coffee table. It's that nasty. My kind of place. Oh, and the thrift store is pretty cool too! ;)

RandallH
01-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I am looking to upgrade to a Splitting Axe. Anyone have any experiance with Estwing Fireside Friend? The all steel handle looks bombproof. Would it be better to go Wetterling or Grandfors Bruks. The wood handle would dampen the blow. Looking for quality/bang for buck. I want to buy the right tool the first time.

Sawtooth
01-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Swedish steel and wood handles for me. Yes, it costs a LOT more than the Eastwing. Quality and bang for buck=Wetterlings. Quality if price is no object=GB. Just my .02 worth.

MojoSlim
01-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Dang Saw, break a brutha's bank why dontcha! :)

I'm this close to buying a GB splitting axe/maul. Curious what you're using to split wood in the winter? Since we're smaller guys, I'd guess we would lose some advantage with very heavy mauls. I'm trying to decide between the Small or Large Splitting Axe from GB or Wetterlings. In conjunction with a Fast Bucksaw or NWwoodsman Bucksaw, I'd imagine I'd have a formidable pair for feeding a stove or fireplace.

Best,

RandallH
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I am leaning towards a GB large Splitting Axe. Any particular vendors you have in mind? Any thing local? I think a 30" Fast Bucksaw is in the works as well. Paul are you using the GB Lg Splitting Axe?
I wonder about a group buy on these items...........

mgutman
01-14-2012, 08:58 PM
RandallH,

I was going to get a wetterling's forest axe, Ben at www.bensbackwoods.com - where I was going to buy it, strongly suggested I look at the Bacho line. Not as pretty, but he says of the three, GB, Wetterlings, and Bahco at his disposal that's what he takes into the woods, and the price is great. So I have this but I have yet to field test it. http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=674 I plan on giving it a good test in 2 weeks. I really wanted the Wetterlings but... I figured for the price I couldn't go wrong. I found a nice leather sheath for it and I'm ready to go. Just one more thing to consider. I found Ben to be great to deal with and wouldn't hesitate ordering your axe from him if that was the way you wanted to go.

Also, to those talking Fast Bucksaws - I bought a 30" before xmas. It came as promised but on the instruction sheet written in pen was "This is the last 30" I will make". That was it. No explanation, nothing. So not sure if I now have a piece of history or if you can contact the maker and see if he'll do some more with a group order.

mg

Sawtooth
01-14-2012, 11:39 PM
I have a feeling Paul Swanstrom doesn't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. He's a one-man show. Funny, because they're awesome saws. He cuts all the pieces only once or twice a year and when he runs out of parts he doesn't make more for a little while. I had to wait a few months when he made my 30". Hopefully he meant that it'll just be a temporary down time and then he'll make more of the big saws.

RandallH
01-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Paul,

Do you use the GB Lg Splitting Axe? I found one at a local vendor. I may pick it up soon.

mgutman
01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a feeling Paul Swanstrom doesn't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. He's a one-man show. Funny, because they're awesome saws. He cuts all the pieces only once or twice a year and when he runs out of parts he doesn't make more for a little while. I had to wait a few months when he made my 30". Hopefully he meant that it'll just be a temporary down time and then he'll make more of the big saws.

I hope that's what this means. :)

Ken
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM
http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=413

MojoSlim
01-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Hey Ken,

thanks for the link. That's one bucksaw that I haven't come across yet. Do you own one? -- or, alternatively -- Do you know about turnaround time?

Choices, choices!

- Gransfors vs Wetterlings
-- Large vs small splitting axe vs maul
-Fast Bucksaw vs Paddle and Pole vs. NWwoodsman

I hear the Faith No More Song lyrics to "Epic" in my head .... "You want it all, but you can't have it." Well, at least I can find comfort in the likelihood that RandallH is having some similar decisions to make.

mgutman
01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Yo Mojo --

How'd your pulk turn out? Any pics?

sab
01-15-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm this close to buying a GB splitting axe/maul. Curious what you're using to split wood in the winter? Since we're smaller guys, I'd guess we would lose some advantage with very heavy mauls. I'm trying to decide between the Small or Large Splitting Axe from GB or Wetterlings.

Mojo:

I bought a used GB Splitting Maul right here on the Trading Post some time back. I wanted the maul because when you're splitting a lot of wood, using a wedge is the way to go. The splitting axes can't be used to hammer, so those weren't an option for me. Unfortunately, I've not been able to use the maul much because all my firewood this year is curly-grained (elm and live oak), which is almost impossible to split by hand. I ended up making a hydraulic splitter that runs off my tractor's hydraulic system. Much easier with this curly-grained stuff!

Scott

Ralph
01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I used one of the wood-frame saws for years, almost identical to the one Bens Backwoods sells. I gave it to my nephew when I switched to the smaller and lighter SawVivor, in yet another moment of misplaced generosity. Excellent saw.

I have had, and used the jacksaw and currently have the Gerber saw that slides into the handle for when I would like to have a saw but am not planning on using it a lot. These cut well but the frame saw is better. The frame holds the blade under tension and the longer blades give you a much easier cutting stroke and also allows two people to use the saw to really sail through the log. (Note: if you have never used a two-man saw the rule is you pull, never push. Pushing the saw causes the blade to buckle and bind and makes the work harder. It's called, "riding the saw." Once you get the hang of it you and your buddy develop an easy, natural rhythm.)

Any frame saw benefits from fitting with an aggressive blade like the Bahco or the Swedish Bushman type that cut in both directions. Any of the saws mentioned will work fine for you. Personally, if I was buying one I'd choose the one from Ben's. One thing about these saws: the threaded rod and thumbscrews work well but should you ever lose it or (somehow) break it the saw can still be used by a few turns of cord from end to end and using a flat piece of wood as a Spanish windlass.

MojoSlim
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Yo Mojo --

How'd your pulk turn out? Any pics?

Hey MG,

Never ended up getting a tree, so I haven't even fielded it yet! Plus, barely any snow! I couldn't bring myself to take pictures in my apartment complex's courtyard as I'd much rather have trees, snow and mountains in the background instead of brown grass, dog turds, and buildings in need of some fresh paint!

I hope the Rondy isn't my inaugural use!

MojoSlim
01-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Scott:
Thanks for your infos on the splitting maul. The GB maul is still an option in my mind. Thinking that a dedicated splitter might be the way to go, rathe than trying to find a "do it all" axe for chopping/splitting. I figure that with a frame saw, chopping might be minimalized anyway. Plus, that Bahco axe that was reccomended earlier might get ordered, too.

Ralph:
As always, you're a wealth of knowledge! Those tips are very appreciated. I was down in the office today and was gonna just order the Pole and paddle saw from Bensbackcountry, but realized I left my wallet at home! (I hate ordering stuff off of my phone, and it's my only option at home for a computer).

Much obliged,

Ken
01-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Mojo- I don't own one of those saws yet. They look like a winner though, and I will get one at some point. As for the Gransfors, the Small Splitter would be a good choice for a pairing up with that saw. I think the maul would be overkill. I own them both, and both split great for their intended purpose. Most anything you buck up with a hand saw the Small Splitter will split. Another good choice would be one of the Fiskars splitting axes. They are alot easier on the wallet and have quite the following. It looks like the head profiles are very close to similar Gransfors models. I might get one of those to take some of the burdon off my Gransfors maul as a replacement will set me back $160 or so...I paid $85 when I got mine 6-7 years ago...If anything bad happens to my Gransfors, I'll certainly replace it, but it makes sense in my little pea brain to get another cheaper axe now to take some of the beating off the Gransfors. I find myself splitting out in the woods often, away from my splitting block, and I always cringe on the errant pass through, hoping no sparks fly from whacking an unforseen rock...

billybass
01-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I was just working on my own Bucksaw this weekend. I bought 24" and 30" blades and if they came out well was thinking of selling a few. I will have to get my but in gear and maybe get some of you folks to test them out for me.

sab
01-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Regarding the splitting maul, I was recommending it for making wood to feed a stove or fireplace at home for a full season of heating fuel. I may have misunderstood the intended use. I would not recommend it at all for packing into the backcountry. It's a beast :)

Scott

Ken
01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Few of my Swedish girlfriends...

Ralph
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Since the topic has drifted a bit, I'll add that elm is *terrible* to split. "Curly" doesn't describe the grain, tangled or snarled would be better. Hemlock is common in NJ where I grew up so was used from time to time. Hemlock knots can be glass-hard and can actually chip an axe edge (learned by experience). Hemlock is also a bad burner, tiny pitch pockets embedded in the wood make it spit and spark. Tamerack has similar problems.

I don't have one but I've seen Ken's small G-B splitter at work and it is a dandy and not too terribly heavy if you really need to split a bunch of wood (multi-day base camp for instance).

MojoSlim
01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Ken:
Seck-see ladies there ;)

Scott:
Both uses, actually. I'm looking for something for home and something for the back country. You didn't misunderstand as I don't think I was clear to begin with.

General Question to all Potential Colorado Rondy Attendees:
-What kind of axes and saws are you planning on bringing?

Regards,

mgutman
01-16-2012, 11:20 AM

I will most likely bring a small Gransfors splitting axe, Bahco bush axe, and my 30" Fast Bucksaw -- and there may be a saw blade on my swiss army knife if you want to try that as well.

Ken
01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm looking for something for home and something for the back country.

There ya go...get two...lol...

Sawtooth
01-16-2012, 05:22 PM

Since I'm hauling a pulk, I think I'll bring some extras to play. Sounds like a good way to spend a little time in camp, looking at different cutting and splitting ideas and trying them out.

I'll bring:

30" Fast Bucksaw
Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet
Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet
Cold Steel tomahawk (antiqued head and customized handle by yours truly)
El Cheapo Collins Boy's Hatchet

If I get a wild hair I may even be able to show up with a GB large splitting axe. ;)

Sawtooth
01-16-2012, 05:24 PM
There ya go...get two...lol...

Actually, I'm interested in just the opposite for splitting larger wood (i.e., arctic stove and home wood stove). For winter ski camping and home use, I think one could do both jobs. A large splitting axe. Having a pulk makes using a large axe possible.

RandallH
01-17-2012, 04:17 PM

I have a 60" crosscut saw, may dad had it sitting in an old barn up in Idaho. Just a couple problems I need to solve. It is to long for the Sled, it needs another handle (should also replace the one it has) and I can not find anyone willing to sharpen it............:o

RandallH
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM

I did aquire (2) new useful additions that need minimal effort to fit in the sled. A LG G.B. Splitting Axe. I agree w/ Paul as for multi use, home/Pulk backcountry/camping with Jeep. I wanted a longer handle for standoff distance and the swing with two hands feels so nice. I hope someone brings up a small for comparison. The second is a Husqvarna Hatchet. WOW I really like this tool. I picked it up at A&A Trading Post today for $40(new). I think this is a great deal. It is hand forged Swedish Steel and has a 12" hickory handle. This little baby feels very nice in my hand and is very sharp. Both very nice tools. Husqvarna also has a Traditional (multi-purpose) Axe I would also like to take a look at, they were out of stock at A&A.

There are two different styles of the Husqvarna Hatchet. I am unsure if mine is the old or the new.

I found this review for the Husqvarna Hatchet I bought.
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/10/husqvarna-hatchet-review.html

Here is another link for a slightly different Husqvarna Hatchet.
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/08/husqvarna-hatchet-2011-model-review.html

Ralph
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
That's not a bucksaw, it's a two-man crosscut saw. I had one-two-man crosscut (about 4' long with a handsaw grip on one end and a removable straight grip on the other) and the stuff to sharpen it but gave it all away years ago. It's not hard to do, just a little tedious. Disston used to print a small handbook on saw sharpening, I'll look around to see if there is a reprint lurking somewhere on the Internet.

The basic tools are a saw vise, a jointer, a set guage and a small hammer. The files needed are a 6" or so mill bastard, and a crosscut saw file (or a round file and a feather edge will do). The saw vise can be made from two hardwood boards about 6" wide and deep enough to take most of the saw blade plus a couple of bolt/wingnuts or bolt and knob. Glueing a strip of 1" thick leather on both sides of the jaw keeps the blade from slipping.

The jointer is used to true up the tops of the teeth and is made from a hardwood or metal block with a slot to hold the 6" file. In use, the side of the block rubs against the saw body while the file knocks off any high spots. The crosscut saw file is tear-drop shaped. The larger rounded edge is used to deepen the gullet (if needed) while the narrow edge files the teeth. You can eyeball the angle pretty good but can also use a guide (usually adjustable) to cut the angles on the cutting teeth and the rakers. The cutters alternate with the bevel to the left every other tooth and the bevel to the left on the alternates. The rakers are generally flat. Once the teeth are sharpened you set them. Smaller saws have a plier-type tool for this but the larges crosscuts usually use a hammer and anvil. There were special hammers made but any 6-8 oz. ball-peen with do, The cutting teeth are also set alternately at an angle that will cut a kerf about 3/8" or so. The anvil can be made from a small steel block with a beveled face. Hold the anvil in a vise and move along, tapping the tooth to be set to bend it to the angle of the face. Best way is to move the saw along setting every other tooth, then swap end and repeat with the alternate teeth in the opposite direction. You want to remove any rust and polish the blade (to reduce drag)

Reconditioning an old saw may take some time but these saws do not need frequent sharpening (unless you hit a nail of a piece of fence wire grown into the tree). Kerosene is the traditional lubricant, usually in a pop bottle with the neck stuffed with pine needles.

Felling using one of these is a bit tricky since you are fighting gravity on the saw ends, but cutting up firewood is much easier. Once you get the hang of you and your buddy develop an easy rhythm that I always found quite relaxing. If you have never used one of these the trick is pull, NEVER push in an "I pull, you pull' I pull" etc. Let the swa do the work, don't try to force the cut. If the saw binds it probably needs a wider set.

Here's one - if I had looked it up first I would have saved myself a lot of typing:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7649770_sharpen-crosscut-logging-saws.html

You can sometimes find the spcial tools needed at an old hardware store or maybe on the Internet somewhere.

RandallH
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I talked to Paul Swanstrom yesterday. It is true he is no longer making any more 30" Bucksaws. They are not a money maker for him. The 21" fits in a canoe or pack easier. He makes the parts once a year and assembles them when someone orders them. He However has parts for (4) more 30" saws. When these are gone he is done with the 30". I purchased (1) he had 5; he quoted a little higher price. I paid $77 for 30" Bucksaw, extra blade and shipping to Colorado.
I told him he has a following here on the board and there is interest in the 30". He just does not sell enough of them.

Sawtooth
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Let's buy up those 30" Fast Bucksaws, boys! They'll be worth something someday! ;)

Ken
01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Sawtooth- The pulks a game changer for sure...I'd love to get my hands on a GB Lg Splitter. I can't justify buying one when I have and need the maul though. Our hardwoods are tough to split at times and there's been more than one that required a wedge/sledge and even some that get ripped by a chainsaw...I'll bet the Lg Splitter is a fun axe to use.

Randall- That Husky is made by Wetterlings IIRC. That's a nice pair of tools you have there. Enjoy!

tendeerfeet
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
A very thorough essay on winter camping

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml

and a nice piece on vapor barrier clothing

http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/vapor-barrier-liners-theory-application/

Sawtooth
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Just a heads up that I'll be sending out final details and information about the Colorado Winter Rondy some time this week. Thanks for all the public and private RSVPs. It'll be great to see all of you in camp!

Sawtooth
01-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Regarding the snowpack at the rondy site...I was up in Summit County Nordic skiing today and the snow is definitely (finally) coming in. Looks pretty promising for tonight and tomorrow morning. Temps were relatively warm today at 10K feet...38 degrees at 1 PM, but the forecast is for some good snow. I'll monitor the Snotel station closely. I might make a wood cutting trip soon.

Sawtooth
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
PM's sent to all who RSVP'd to my initial post. If have any final questions, please PM me. Thanks!

sab
01-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Let's buy up those 30" Fast Bucksaws, boys!

Done! I just received mine today, and Paul Swanstrom put a note in with it that says:

"Scott, you have the last 30" Fast Bucksaw I will ever make. I shipped the last two saws today."

When I spoke with him about the order week before last, he told me that he cut the pieces for 100 saws in 1982 (he would assemble them as he got orders), and it's taken him 30 years to sell those 100 saws. That's why he's not making them any longer - the demand just isn't there. Too bad, it's a wonderful piece of equipment!

I wish I could join you Colorado fellas again for this Winter Rondy, but I don't get enough time off from work to swing it. Have fun. I'll look for the reports on it so that I can experience it vicariously!

Regards,
Scott

MojoSlim
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Done! I just received mine today, and Paul Swanstrom put a note in with it that says:

"Scott, you have the last 30" Fast Bucksaw I will ever make. I shipped the last two saws today."

When I spoke with him about the order week before last, he told me that he cut the pieces for 100 saws in 1982 (he would assemble them as he got orders), and it's taken him 30 years to sell those 100 saws. That's why he's not making them any longer - the demand just isn't there. Too bad, it's a wonderful piece of equipment!

I wish I could join you Colorado fellas again for this Winter Rondy, but I don't get enough time off from work to swing it. Have fun. I'll look for the reports on it so that I can experience it vicariously!

Regards,
Scott

Dang, Scott. I guess I'll be getting my check back that I sent him last week for a 30" saw. I don't think I'm getting one of those "last 2" he referred to.

Also, how did you folks get in contact with him by phone? You and RandallH both refer to "talking" to him. I didn't find a phone number on his order web page.

Enjoy that collector's piece!

-Mojoslim

RandallH
01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
8207It looks like I got the last, of the (last two 30" Saws) Paul will ever make!!! It was just droped off by U.S.P.S.
Mojo I can make these. I even talked with Paul about it. He said he has some steel components left to make the 30" Saws. Scott I hope yours is in better shape than mine!!! I have a small crack, but it will probably be fine. Hard to have that Guaranty if it is not made anymore. Paul did say if he had 20 or more ordered he would consider making more. Scott and I talked to him by phone.

Randall

Sawtooth
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Congrats, Randall. I considered buying one more just to have, but spent the money on a hackle for fly tying instead. :) You have a great tool and a real piece of utilitarian art there.

sab
01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
It looks like I got the last, of the (last two 30" Saws) Paul will ever make!!! It was just droped off by U.S.P.S.
Mojo I can make these. I even talked with Paul about it. He said he has some steel components left to make the 30" Saws. Scott I hope yours is in better shape than mine!!! I have a small crack, but it will probably be fine. Hard to have that Guaranty if it is not made anymore. Paul did say if he had 20 or more ordered he would consider making more. Scott and I talked to him by phone.

RandallH, the note I got is identical to yours, except that it is addressed to me. Mine is in good shape, as far as I could tell. Did you talk to Paul about the crack? He may have the piece to replace it. I, too, wonder about the warranty.

Mojo - It does sound like you may be out of luck. I'm guessing that RandallH and I are the "last two" Paul referred to. I found his number by Googling "fast bucksaw phone". As everyone here has stated, he's a very nice fellow, which is typical of Minnesotans (they don't say "Minnesota nice" for nuthin' you know).

By the way, Paul told me that he buys the blades from Fleet Farm, which is an upper midwest chain of farm stores. I had my mother pick up a few spares, as they are quite inexpensive. Here's a link to their e-commerce page for the blades:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/tools/hand-tools/saws/soderholm-30-in-bow-saw-blade

Regards,
Scott

gonehuntn
01-31-2012, 06:52 AM
I didn't buy a saw but I'm still happy! I get to sit by the stove and sip adult beverages while you guys cut wood with your shinny new saws! :0)

sab
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
I didn't buy a saw but I'm still happy! I get to sit by the stove and sip adult beverages while you guys cut wood with your shinny new saws! :0)

gonehuntn:

Didn't anyone tell you that the guys that bring the saws get to sit and sip adult beverages while the guys that didn't bring saws cut wood?

:D

Have fun at the Rondy!
Scott

bjones
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Is anyone heading to the Rondy from the direction of the Denver metro area (I live in the Capitol Hill area) and is willing to take on 1 additional passenger in exchange for gas money and a 6 pack of canned beer? I'm also willing to throw a "mystery" Kifaru product into the pot to sweeten the deal. Let me know if you can help me out.

Cheers,

Ben

Jon S
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Bjones, shoot me a pm, may be carpooling with Scoutin Wyo as well, but we love beer and company!

Sawtooth
01-31-2012, 02:12 PM
gonehuntn:

Didn't anyone tell you that the guys that bring the saws get to sit and sip adult beverages while the guys that didn't bring saws cut wood?

:D

Have fun at the Rondy!
Scott

I like that idea!;)

mgutman
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Bjones, shoot me a pm, may be carpooling with Scoutin Wyo as well, but we love beer and company!

I may be able to help as well depending on your schedule and potential to get to a park n ride at least on the way there. PM me and we can talk.

bjones
01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
PMs sent to Jon S & mgutman!

MojoSlim
02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Alright, who's bringing a shelter, and what are you bringing? I'll be bringing my 6-man + Medium Stove. Anyone bringing a Sawtooth? I'd like to take a look at one as I'm 'this close' to making an order on the payment plan and would like to check one out in person.

Thanks!

RandallH
02-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I am bringing an 8 man w/large stove(Should be just enough room for Koda and I). Mojo you are welcome if you wanted to leave your 6 man, but I am heading home Sunday. I am planning on heading up Friday with Mr. Koda. Kevin M. said he is heading up Friday as well, I hope so cause I have not setup an 8 man before. So looking forward to this trip, last year was so much fun. I have so many new pieces of gear to use, it is like Christmas morning. I always learn something new at the rondy's and the company has always been top notch. I will bring my G.B. LG Splitting Axe, G.B. Mini Hatchet and 30" Fast Bucksaw. (Sawtooth I just could not help my self, I had to get a Mini) I was driving myself crazy thinking about it. I will use the Lg and I will try to teach Koda how to use the Mini Hatchet, it is about his size. I will work with him on the 30" Fast Bucksaw as well, it will be much more productive with two, although Koda will more than likely supervise me, that is just how he is!!! I have been known to split some wood...Patricks hammer and hatchet worked very well last year. It will be interesting to see who likes which tool for the wood chores and what tools work the best, as we will have an arsenal of Axes and Saws at hand.:o

Mojo, the Sawtooth is awesome. That will be my next shelter purchase. Before hunting season anyways. My Super Tarp, 8 Man and a Sawtooth will cover any combo/type of camping for my family and I. Should be set just in time for the apocolypse later this year. And if that does not happen, we will be set for years to come.

Randall

Jon S
02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I can bring a Sawtooth, I am pretty sure Sawtooth is loaning his to COSprings hunter during the rondy.
Space at the site is limited, but depending on how much deadfall was removed, more spots may be available.
I created this simple spreadsheet to potentially keep the party going, or at least the information stored in one place

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao1-JacRjv50dG0weFk2OWNuVk1tZnc3QVZzcjJUQUE

MojoSlim
02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
RandallH and Jon S: Thanks for responding. And Jon, thanks for setting up that spreadsheet: I added my info to it. I'm bringing the 6man/Medium Stove as Nautilus will be joining me, and I wouldn't want to subject her to all that tomfoolery that will likely be going on without a sanctuary available :rolleyes:

Big Jon, I have some 9mm ammo left from playing with Nautilus' pistol this weekend, so if it's not a hassle to bring that Kahr P9, I'll bring some stuff to feed it :)

RandallH: I want to get a Sawtooth for backpacking. The 6 man is just a little heavy, and there's not really ever anyone more than Nautilus and I in it, so I'd imagine the more compact and lighter sawtooth would work great. I'm planning on putting together a small Ger/Yurt for car camping (Hope to start on that in the next month). For going solo, I have a paratarp/annex and parastove that should fill that niche well.

flamingo 7
02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm afraid I'll miss the Winter Rondy again this year. Things were really looking up, but I'm afraid I'll be busy with other endeavors through the next couple of weeks. Best wishes to ya'll, have fun. Sawtooth...PM sent

Jon S
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Mojo, that PM9 is awfully heavy, will have to see if I have room for it, but I am sure I can be persuaded to bring it for just a little bit of hooch :)
Flamingo, we will miss you as well, but rest assured, we will raise a glass in your honor.

COShunter
02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Mojo,
yes Jackie and I are using Sawtooth's Sawtooth, but you are more than welcome to come and explore how it fits your needs. We expect to be up there pretty early on Sat morning. Look forward to seeing you guys again.
Rex

Sawtooth
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
ALL...FYI...

Myself and several others are meeting at the Steaming Bean Coffee Shop in Dillon at 8:00 AM on Saturday morning. Look for me in the "back room", sitting on a ratty couch, sipping coffee.

Steaming Bean Coffee Shop (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1942l5720l0l5963l23l13l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=597&wrapid=tlif132915961011010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=coffee+shop+dillon+co&fb=1&gl=us&hq=coffee+shop&hnear=0x876a56970bb0e355:0xd821373c4991fa7f,Dillon ,+CO&ei=xF05T-L4H6m42wWdiv2iAg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&ved=0CBAQtgM&iwloc=cids:16283536117826877322)

Also, be advised that Second Tracks consignment store used to be located next door to the Steaming Bean, but has now re-located in the upstairs of Wilderness Sports, which is one stoplight uphill from the coffee shop. Now all we have to do is get the coffee shop to move up there and we're set! ;)

MojoSlim
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Seeing as there is limited space for shelter and it seems there are a few shelters that will be hanging around, Nautilus and I are open to bunking up with RandallH and Koda in their 8-man as per his offer. I'll bring the 6-man still, just in case there is more space from cleared deadfall, but my party will be flexible in order to make sure there is enough space for everyone.

Also, Jon S: Since there is going to be a Sawtooth there anyway, you don't need to bring yours to display - I'll take up Rex's offer to check their set-up out. Thanks again!

RandallH
02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Mojo, we will see you up there. I slept in Patricks 24 man last year and I must confess, I do not remember what was used for lighting. What works in cold temps, I guess the stove will heat things up inside, but what works?
I do not have anything to light up the inside of my 8 man yet (except for a head lamp).

Randall

mgutman
02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Mojo, we will see you up there. I slept in Patricks 24 man last year and I must confess, I do not remember what was used for lighting. What works in cold temps, I guess the stove will heat things up inside, but what works?
I do not have anything to light up the inside of my 8 man yet (except for a head lamp).

Randall

The wal-mart circle led lights for $7 a pop work great. 2-3 will be perfect for you. (link says $4 but in store I think I paid closer to $7) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-A2855/15599760

Ralph
02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I use the same light (also referred to as "UFO" lights. They are very reasonably priced and work well for area lighting. I have used them to light up an Adirondack leanto shelter. I have also seen (but don't recall where) this type of light hinged so it can be placed around a centerpole rather than hung (there is a hole about 2" in diameter in the center with a tapered hanger than fits in the hole).

MojoSlim
02-13-2012, 05:13 PM
The wal-mart circle led lights for $7 a pop work great. 2-3 will be perfect for you. (link says $4 but in store I think I paid closer to $7) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-A2855/15599760

RandallH: This is what I've bought. Even had them at our crappy no selection having walmart (in the camping section). Heard about them from Sawtooth at the BC Rondy. I haven't used it in the shelter yet as I had a Snowpeak Hozuki lantern until recently. I returned the Hozuki to REI for refund as it went through batteries like a fiend.

Will see you up there!

Sawtooth
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
UFO lights from Wal-Mart! Right on! For an 8-man, hauled in a pulk, I'd get three. Lots of light. Been using them for about three years now.

gonehuntn
02-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Gents,

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but if you are headed up Friday please be sure and leave a spot for the 24-man. The spot needs to be a minimum of approx 30' x 30'. Also, if the mood strikes and you want to stomp down a spot that would be even better.

Gonehuntn

Jon S
02-14-2012, 07:52 PM
It might be even nicer to have a fridge dug out for the weekend foray, nothing worse than having frozen beer for breakfast. :) I will be glad to do it upon our arrival on Saturday, should be a great weekend for all!
Looking forward to meeting new and catching up with older friends.

Sawtooth
02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
"Older friends"...what's up with that? ;)

gonehuntn
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
"Older friends"...what's up with that? ;)

If the shoe fits...

Jon S
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
If the shoe fits...
He said it :), not me!
I was merely referring to those friends that I had had longer than the new ones we will make this weekend.

gonehuntn
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I was merely referring to those friends that I had had longer than the new ones we will make this weekend.

The shoe still fits either way you look at it. :0)

Sawtooth
02-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Oh, good. I thought you were counting wrinkles and white whiskers.

Sawtooth
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Current conditions at the rondy site:

30" base 7-day average high temp: 36F 7-day average low temp: 6F

Forecast for the coming weekend: Highs in the high 20s, lows around 0F Partly to mostly cloudy, up to 20% chance of snow on Saturday-Sunday. Up to 5" of new snow expected Sunday night. 60% chance of snow on Monday. Up to 2" of new snow expected Monday. Low Monday night -9F...looks Patrick and I will kep the stove roaring Monday night!

Chas
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM

I'll bring my solar-powered lantern, which puts out a cool, LED light similar to the UFO lights. Some foreign people were passing them out in my village. They are OK, I guess, but nothing beats a good torch.

mgutman
02-21-2012, 12:15 PM
The follow ups and write ups on the Rondy have been slow. Everyone must be recovering. :) I'm the same way, I haven't even gotten to my pictures yet. But I've been asked for my RONDY HOT Buttered Rum recipe. You can find it HERE. (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=28476&p=281163#post281163)

Now onto the LOST and FOUND: I came home with 2, 2L MSR cookware pots. My set had one 2L and another slightly smaller one that nests in the 2L. Anyone come home with two pots that don't nest? I also have the top to a thermos. How I got this I have no idea but if it's yours PM me your details and I'll drop it in the mail.

Once I get caught up I'll post some pics. Looking forward to everyone else's pictures as well.

gonehuntn
02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Sawtooth was missing a lid to one of his pots. But, I think it was covered up by the snow we got Sunday night.

I'm looking forward to the pix. Just don't post anything incriminating; she thinks I went camping! I'd hate to get outside of bow range.

MojoSlim
02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Did anyone find a black storage bag for a Big Agnes Aircore Insulated Pad?

Chas
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I have posted a few pix on flickr.com. (https://secure.flickr.com/photos/13802143@N06/sets/72157629424217593/) (Mouse over that sentence for the link.) If you want a fullsize version of any of them, please send me a PM.

gonehuntn
02-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Chas. I stole a couple to post on my Facebook page.

mgutman
02-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Before I get into picture posting, still looking for that MSR pot...anyone....anyone? It was in the 24 man and used to melt snow.

Okay, onto the photos. I was taking pictures like a Nat Geo photographer on the way in. Once we got to camp though, I forgot about my camera. So this is the limited material I have. Hopefully others have more:

Pulling into the Trailhead. Vegas baby! JonS and bjones.

My pulk. Got the name "Ellie May" as it had a distinct overloaded, Beverly Hillbillies feel. If you think this is bad, you should have seen it on the way out. We were determined to get everything out in one load and I'm guessing my sled was around 90lbs.

Yard Sale! Is there a better sight than gear scattered about before an adventure? Spirits and excitement were high.

Readying a pulk tarp/burrio style.

JeremyMatters putting the finishing roll on this burrito. Nice and tidy. Check out his company at http://www.offroutegear.com/

Winter Rondy Trail Head Still Life

mgutman
02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
2nd round:

The trail in.

Beautiful Colorado Day!

This one leaves me speechless. Maybe Kifaru's first caption contest?

JonS, Gonehuntin', and RandallH. Looks like Gonehuntin' is trying to figure if that canine qualifies as a coyote.

Winter camp luxury.

MojoSlim
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
mgutman and chas: great pictures!

I'm currently uploading pics to photobucket. Will get them up in a few.

RandallH
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
84028403840484058406840784088409841084118412841384 148415[/ATTACH]8416841784188419842084218422842384248425We forgot to do a group photo.

RandallH

Some day I will have a clue on how do this right!!!

Bushcraft
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
http://www.kifaruforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8362&d=1329929919

Mercy!!! I hope someone had a caste-iron stomach to match the libationary contents of that steel flask.

Aside from the Colorado Winter Rondy, where does a fellow come by such a high falutin' flask? I'm going to get one of those for our SCI banquet next year, along with appropriate "filler".

MojoSlim
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Alright, here are my pics:

Gathering at the Trailhead Saturday Morning:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/Trailhead2.jpg

My Pulk; almost as over-stuffed as mgutman's:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/PulkandGear.jpg

Part of the trail in:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/Trail.jpg

Nautilus on the trail in:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/StephTrail4.jpg

RandallH and Koda:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/RandallandKoda2.jpg

Big Jon and his flask shaped mini-keg (bjones and sawtooth enjoying the comedy of it all):
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/BigJohnFlask1.jpg

And another (the flask doesn't look all that large compared to Big Jon:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/BigJohnFlask3.jpg

Here's the flask with Sawtooth for size reference:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/SawtoothFlask2.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/SawtoothFlask.jpg

Ubiquitous 24-man getting set up:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/24man2.jpg

A View of Camp:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/camp1.jpg

MojoSlim
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Night falls and in the Tipi we go:
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/InTents1.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/InTents2.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/InTents6.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/InTents4.jpg
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/InTents5.jpg

Axe to the Max
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab355/Moljnir/Kifaru%20Winter%20Rendezvous%202012/AxetotheMax6.jpg

MojoSlim
02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
8367We forgot to do a group photo.:mad:

Randallh

I was thinking the same thing. I blame Big Jon's flask!

sab
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Looks like you guys had loads of fun - I'm jealous! RandallH, what boots did you end up getting for Koda, and how did they work for you?

Scott

gonehuntn
02-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Randall...dude! You are a fantastic photographer! Very impressive my friend!

MojoSlim
02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Randall...dude! You are a fantastic photographer! Very impressive my friend!

+1,000!

Very awesome !

RandallH
02-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Thank you. I do not shoot enough anymore. It has been a long time since I've use my camera. Just so busy w/other stuff. SAB I posted a little sumthin under dog booties.

RandallH

gonehuntn
02-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Gents,

Here are the sites I told you about.

Jacket: http://thru-hiker.com/materials/index.php If you are ambitious try the Maxima Jacket. The Multicam jacket I was wearing is a version of this pattern. The vest was my design.

Tyvek: Apparently the Tyvek site I bought my ground cloth from doesn't exist anymore. It was http://www.materialconcepts.com. It was a great site; they offered lots of different grades from soft, sew-able to heavy ground cloths.

Does anyone on the forum have a site for buying Tyvek other than e-bay?

Flash Lights: http://www.4sevens.com

Chas
02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Randall, I might steal that last one for a Christmas card. ;)

Scoutin' Wyo
02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Dang, totally bummed I missed it. The worse part is that Ethan & I will more than likely miss the summer Rondy too. Ethan will be playing in the Longmont Bash baseball tournament the weekend prior to Memorial Day, which is the historical weekend of the Rondy.

Thanks for the pics fellas!!

major
02-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Tyvek: Apparently the Tyvek site I bought my ground cloth from doesn't exist anymore. It was http://www.materialconcepts.com. It was a great site; they offered lots of different grades from soft, sew-able to heavy ground cloths.

This site looks to be working now...

They have a 8'x10' groundcloth for $19.99.

Sawtooth
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Great pics, everyone! Here a few of the splitting axes, hatchets, tomahawks, and saws we had in camp. I'll be posting a review of the Cold Steel Trail Hawk on my blog soon. We had lots of stovewood!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/DSC009421-1.jpg

Two Cold Steel Trail Hawks...mine and MojoSlim's. Both customized by their owners.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/DSC009441.jpg

My Trail Hawk

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/DSC009381.jpg

The assortment of tools in camp.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/DSC009823.jpg

The custom scabbard for my 30" Fast Bucksaw, made by Eric Lynn from Mountain Ridge Gear.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/DSC009841.jpg

My 30" Fast Bucksaw, made by Paul Swanstrom. These are no longer available for sale by Paul. I'm glad I got mine when I did.

Robbie
02-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Looks like a wicked good time. Great pictures.
Sawtooth How do you attach that bucksaw scabbard to your pack? I've been thinking about something similiar for my 24in bucksaw and will also hold an ax. Thanks Robbie

Sawtooth
02-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Robbie,

I haven't attached it to a pack yet, but it can be done. I've been stashing it in my pulk. It has PALS webbing, so it could be attached easily. It also comes with a shoulder sling that makes it handy to carry around. Mountain Ridge Gear has a winner with this scabbard. It even has a sleeve for an extra saw blade.

Robbie
02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Do you happen to know if this is going to be a production item? I didn't see anything on their website?Thanks again

Robbie,

I haven't attached it to a pack yet, but it can be done. I've been stashing it in my pulk. It has PALS webbing, so it could be attached easily. It also comes with a shoulder sling that makes it handy to carry around. Mountain Ridge Gear has a winner with this scabbard. It even has a sleeve for an extra saw blade.

mgutman
02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Robbie,

Just email Eric through the site. I'm sure he'll be happy to make one for you. After he gets done with mine first! :) As soon as I saw Sawtooth's I had to have one as well. It's a great case.

Robbie
02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
cool thanks.

Sawtooth
02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Do you happen to know if this is going to be a production item? I didn't see anything on their website?Thanks again

I'm pretty sure Eric plans to do that. He's working hard on an order for TMB's right now, so he may not have it up on the website yet. Maybe he'll chime in here.

gonehuntn
02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Give me a couple of weeks to get them on my site. Like Sawtooth said, I have a couple of large orders to fill then I have a gun show here in the Springs next month. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll let you know when they are available.

Mark
02-24-2012, 02:04 PM
If you guys have never purchased anything from Eric you won't be disapointed when you do. The quality of his work is great and he stands behind everything that he does. He is also active military so I am proud to purchase from him as I know that it helps him prepare for his second career once he is done serving us.

Robbie
02-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Slick, will do Take care Robbie

Give me a couple of weeks to get them on my site. Like Sawtooth said, I have a couple of large orders to fill then I have a gun show here in the Springs next month. Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll let you know when they are available.

tendeerfeet
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Some shots I got Saturday afternoon

gonehuntn
04-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Eric plans to do that. He's working hard on an order for TMB's right now, so he may not have it up on the website yet. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Gents,

The saw cases are up on the website. http://www.mountainridgegear.com/buck-saw-case

tendeerfeet
06-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I checked out the winter rondy site on my way to the Boulder lake trailhead.